Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
How do I go about creating my own rom for video cards from scratch. What difficulty level and time is required.
It seems amazing that there are no new video card roms for power macs beside the 7800 GTX.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It seems amazing that there are no new video card roms for power macs beside the 7800 GTX.

It isn't surprising at all. Do you know why flashes for Intel cards don't work in PowerPC? It's because they use EFI, which will not work with PowerPC Macs.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
It isn't surprising at all. Do you know why flashes for Intel cards don't work in PowerPC? It's because they use EFI, which will not work with PowerPC Macs.

It can't be that much harder to create an open firmware version.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
As Martin Luther King once said - "I have a dream..."

I admire you're ambitious attitude but being told straight up that EFI & PowerPC are totally & utterly incompatible, and to then say you can do it - you just need to be told what to do is ludicrous.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

IMO if you had the skills to be able to do so you wouldn't be asking the question. I think it's probably way more difficult than you are assuming. I know I couldn't do it.

No, that is not the issue. If you could make 2 ROMs, people would. However, you can't.

Yes, it can be. They are incompatible.

you just need to be told what to do is ludicrous.

And to listen when you hear it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have a rom for a 7900 GTX and an AMD 7850.

ROMs are not source code. They are compiled and it is not possible to decompile a GPU ROM. You need the source, only AMD/ATI and Nvidia have that and there is no way for you to get it. And unless I'm mistaken, GPU ROMs of this age are written in assembly.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The last time I was making ROMs is 20 years ago. Chips like PROM, EPROM and EEPROM; some to be erased with UV light. That was fun ... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eprom32k.jpg)

But instead of my old meaningless stories you might want to read here

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/nvidia-general-flashing

The biggest challenge will be to get the technical documentation to program the chips properly. I think that the companies treat that as confidential and closed source.

Good luck with your endeavor though.

Reactions: theoamoretti

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
ROMs are not source code. They are compiled and it is not possible to decompile a GPU ROM. You need the source, only AMD/ATI and Nvidia have that and there is no way for you to get it. And unless I'm mistaken, GPU ROMs of this age are written in assembly.

I remember having to work with the ROMS ages ago. You not only need the source code, you need documentation, and sometimes you even find the ROM is written in assembly code, which is a bitch to program if you don't understand it.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
What I was saying was that an open firmware rom AND EFI rom could be created.

----------

No, and these kinds of comments really are not helpful.

Well, you cannot make them. Closed source period. If they ever release the source code, you can make it. Otherwise it is against the law and you could be sued for that.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Well, you cannot make them. Closed source period. If they ever release the source code, you can make it. Otherwise it is against the law and you could be sued for that.

No, how are all other PowerPC roms made? Are they all illegal?! I have a very nice decompiler.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
No, how are all other PowerPC roms made? Are they all illegal?! I have a very nice decompiler.

Which ones?

Nvidia makes some of its source code GPL. I mean if you really knew how to do that, you wouldn't be posting here. If you have a 'decompiler' what are you doing here in the first place?

You cannot do that, for the reasons stated above by MisterKeeks and Intell

Stop this nonsense, you cannot, may not do this, unless you have strict access to the Source Code.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Flashing is when the EFI Firmware from a Mac card is placed on the firmware card of a Windows card to interact with the BIOS segment of the Windows card. You can only flash if you have the Open Firmware ROMs for the card you want to flash, and if it's recent, you don't have the ROMs.

----------

What I was saying was that an open firmware rom AND EFI rom could be created.

Impossible. One doesn't create the ROM, you merely transfer it, but there are no Open Firmware ROMs to transfer

No, and these kinds of comments really are not helpful.

Why not? Every time someone provides any factual evidence that it is impossible, you return with a blind statement about how it is, you just need someone to give you instructions. It simply cannot be done.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Which ones?

Nvidia makes some of its source code GPL. I mean if you really knew how to do that, you wouldn't be posting here. If you have a 'decompiler' what are you doing here in the first place?

You cannot do that, for the reasons stated above by MisterKeeks and Intell

Stop this nonsense, you cannot, may not do this, unless you have strict access to the Source Code.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360287752.003613.jpg
If I am correct, which I am not sure i am, my decompiler has done it's deeds well.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Why can it not be created? Why must it be copied? It is possible yet difficult.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
View attachment 395314
If I am correct, which I am not sure i am, my decompiler has done it's deeds well.

You're looking at the raw hex of it. Not the source code. You can't do anything useful with that.

Why can it not be created? Why must it be copied? It is possible yet difficult.

It cannot be created because you don't have the assembly source for the GPU chip. Only ATI/AMD and Nvidia have that and they are not releasing it anytime soon because it is considered a trade secrete. Just like you can't rewrite Windows XP to run on a PowerPC without emulation. You lack the source code to recompile it to be able to run on the PowerPC architecture. It cannot be done. Not "difficult". It cannot be done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.