Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I just installed Photoshop CS5. When I try to run it it says "To open “Adobe Photoshop CS5,” you need a Java*SE*6 runtime. Would you like to install one now?"

If I try to install it says it isn't allowed to.

That is because, i think, Apple has restricted the java to only the very current one, which i have installed, and is version 7.

With version 7 installed and fully updated, CS5 still won't run.

What do I do??

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I just installed Photoshop CS5. When I try to run it it says "To open “Adobe Photoshop CS5,” you need a Java*SE*6 runtime. Would you like to install one now?"

If I try to install it says it isn't allowed to.

That is because, i think, Apple has restricted the java to only the very current one, which i have installed, and is version 7.

With version 7 installed and fully updated, CS5 still won't run.

What do I do??

I think i had this same problem. I just ignored it. But, maybe you should install java 7 if you really need it, i would advise against it for now even with a patch.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
There is an explanation of how to go back to ver 6 on the java website somewhere.

GrantMeThePower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
fixed it

I found a site online (not oracle/java/or apple) that had the old version of Java RE 6 and was able to install that, open CS5 for the first time, then reinstall Java 7.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I found a site online (not oracle/java/or apple) that had the old version of Java RE 6 and was able to install that, open CS5 for the first time, then reinstall Java 7.

How did you update to Java 7? Glad you got it working btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.