Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atomiton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Hey there, I wanna v-chat with my fiancée in Japan... she doesn't "yet" have a mac... so it will be via AOL for now, but I was wondering, I have a Pmac G4 400Mhz Gigabit with 1GB of RAM. Will this run iChat AV?

Before I spend the $ to upgrade to Tiger and buy an iSight, I wanna know if it's worth it.

I will be getting her (us) a 12" iBook so her side "shouldn't" be a problem, right?

I"m not trying to do 3-way video... just 1 on 1 for now.

Has anyone does this? Will the PMac handle the H.264 iChat AV uses?

Thanx!

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
I dont know much about the subject or what you should do,all I know is H.246 needs atleast a 1.2GHZ G4.

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
I dont know much about the subject or what you should do,all I know is H.246 needs atleast a 1.2GHZ G4.

Not really...

According to the iChat page, any G4 Mac will be able to handle a 1-to-1 video. Remember that h.264 is a scalable codec. Only HD h.264 video requires a powerful Mac.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
atomiton said:
Hey there, I wanna v-chat with my fiancée in Japan... she doesn't "yet" have a mac... so it will be via AOL for now, but I was wondering, I have a Pmac G4 400Mhz Gigabit with 1GB of RAM. Will this run iChat AV?

Before I spend the $ to upgrade to Tiger and buy an iSight, I wanna know if it's worth it.

I will be getting her (us) a 12" iBook so her side "shouldn't" be a problem, right?

I"m not trying to do 3-way video... just 1 on 1 for now.

Has anyone does this? Will the PMac handle the H.264 iChat AV uses?

Thanx!
I have nothing to add, but I did read the other thread. Congrats on the engagement!

atomiton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
ftaok said:
I have nothing to add, but I did read the other thread. Congrats on the engagement!

Thanks!! Now the planning starts! Co-Ordinating these things between two families from three continents will be difficult.

I really hope that I can get the iSight using decent quality video. We will see. I was hoping to see if anyone had actually used it with a G4.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I would stick with Panther if I were you. I found that with my old G4 PowerBook, the quality was much better with panther. Your computer should run that version of iChat just fine for a video conference.

atomiton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
wwooden said:
I would stick with Panther if I were you. I found that with my old G4 PowerBook, the quality was much better with panther. Your computer should run that version of iChat just fine for a video conference.

And no problem interfacing with the Tiger iChat AV Version? What's frame rate like, too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.