Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Hey all,
I am looking for a program similair to FRAPS so I can record myself playing video games or record me doing stuff on my ibook for tutorials and such. I already tried snapz pro and I REALY dont like it, its too complicated for me. I just want a simple program with a button which says record and it starts recording, I dont want any fancy effects or anything.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Patmian212 said:
The video quality in movie grab lags a bit but apart from that its good, any more programs you guys can recomend?

Well I can't really recommend this program, since I haven't had a chance to use it yet (just found this program the other day actually) so maybe someone else has some experience with it. vnc2swf On the plus side its free, but on the down side its still needs a bit of work (such as it doesn't record sound yet) but could always give it a try. It connects to your local VNC port to record, and then outputs to a Shockwave flash file. Sounds neat but no idea on video quality.

Muskie

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Minneapolis
tag said:
Well I can't really recommend this program, since I haven't had a chance to use it yet (just found this program the other day actually) so maybe someone else has some experience with it. vnc2swf On the plus side its free, but on the down side its still needs a bit of work (such as it doesn't record sound yet) but could always give it a try. It connects to your local VNC port to record, and then outputs to a Shockwave flash file. Sounds neat but no idea on video quality.

I would guess that this wouldnt work for recording games. I vnc'ed to my tower from my laptop and started up UT2k4 just to see what would happen, and all I could see was my desktop. VNC didnt collect any of the rendered stuff from the game.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Muskie said:
I would guess that this wouldnt work for recording games. I vnc'ed to my tower from my laptop and started up UT2k4 just to see what would happen, and all I could see was my desktop. VNC didnt collect any of the rendered stuff from the game.

I guess Unreal Tournament would give alot more strain on the connection than other games maybe thats why its just showing your desktop? Honestly the only games I have installed on my Macs are Marble Blast Gold and Tony Hawk Pro Skater4, and both of them work through VNC (Though a bit laggy since its via wireless). So maybe UT2k4 is just too much for VNC to handle?

NicholasWong

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Hey all,
I am looking for a program similair to FRAPS so I can record myself playing video games or record me doing stuff on my ibook for tutorials and such. I already tried snapz pro and I REALY dont like it, its too complicated for me. I just want a simple program with a button which says record and it starts recording, I dont want any fancy effects or anything.

Hi, if you really want something like fraps for mac you can use crossovers from codeweavers.com but if its too difficult ( I think its pretty difficult too ) you can
use quicktime player which comes with every macbook/ imac and you can search on spotlight on your mac which is on the top right corner. to start
recording, click file then screen recording to start, click the circle then hit start
recording, if you want to stop recording, hit the circle ith the square in it to stop ( the button is on the menu bar ). :)

Ranius

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Hey all,

You could use screenflick. It's like 15 bucks

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Is this games you play on the Mac itself??
I use ScreenFlow to record my screen - mainly used for my Youtube vids etc. Works pretty well and has some basic editing functionality as well where you can insert captions, effects, zoom in/out, and so on.

bobd432

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
QuickTime

I don't think a lot of people have thought of this or have tried this but this is free. QuickTime comes with iTunes is free and includes a screen recording feature that works quite well.

Last edited:

MacPrime

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
I use Screeny, it has what you are looking for. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

VSGCanberra

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
I don't think a lot of people have thought of this or have tried this but this is free. QuickTime comes with iTunes is free and includes a screen recording feature that works quite well.

Might want to check your facts, sunshine.

VSGCanberra

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Fraps records a very high quality movie, at high frame rate and only the active window. Which is great for gaming, including flight sims.

QuickTime screen recording is low quality, and whole screen.

:cool:

IntenseLycan

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
Alternative to Fraps

Try iShowU HD. I have it and it's great, in addition it has single-click recording.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.