Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
When do you think iBooks will be switched to Intel? Also, are PPC updates for iBooks in store for Febuary maybe?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Why do people keep asking this question?

Nobody knows, your guess would be as good as anyone else's. Mactels are suppose to be released next year second half so maybe sometime then.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Bern said:
Why do people keep asking this question?
He's a newbie!! Be nice ;)

Sorry for that comment rye9 ;)

To answer the question, they're prolly' not going to be updated first, but not last. I'd say middle of 2006.

Just a guess.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Thanks. I heard from others that theyd be one of the first because the Power series are already very advanced so theyd update the lower models like the iBook first. I plan on getting a last revision iBook PPC hopefully theyll be last updated in January.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
My complete guess would be iMac's first, then iBooks, then Powermac's, then Powerbooks. And if apple says second half of 06 I wouldn't be suprised to see them in early 07.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Really the only think Apple is waiting for is 3rd party software. There are dev kits out and all the reports say they run great and fast.

I think the only issues are:
1. How to keep OSX from running on any x86 PC
2. Make sure 3rd party software is ready to go (it would suck to have a nice new Mactel and no software to run.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I don't think there will be another PPC revision. I think this is the end of the line for PPC iBooks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Norouzi said:
My complete guess would be iMac's first, then iBooks, then Powermac's, then Powerbooks. And if apple says second half of 06 I wouldn't be suprised to see them in early 07.
PowerMacs will be last according to the last word on it. The Mac mini will be early on as well.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Norouzi said:

I couldn't see iBooks being before powerbooks. Who would want a 1.67Ghz G4 powerbook when they could get a 2.16Ghz Pentium M iBook for less. Nor iMacs before Powermacs for the same reason. It seems most likely that if Apple does it in phases that it would be powerbook and ibook, since they desperately need the upgrade. Then Power mac, iMac and Mini being released within a short timespan of eachother.

It may be that Powermacs (pentimacs), iMacs, and Powerbooks (pentibooks) are Pentiums. While the iBooks and Mac Mini will be Celerons :eek: .

Short rant,
I just hope that Apple doesn't use Intels integrated graphics chips in their low end machines. Keep dedicated graphics dell and HP both stink because they put integrated graphics in every model except giant 17" gaming rigs. With the exception of some with a lowly x300.

Who really knows. They may all be released the same day. With the exception of the eMac so that they have something to hold out on until 2007.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
rye9 said:
Ive heard many people say...

picture12et.png

Preacher85

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2004
Vermillion, SD
m-dogg said:
The official transition date is April 1, 2006.

And you know this how? I'm not trying to sound mean, but I am a little skeptical. So, how do you know that this date is official?

EDIT: Duh...April 1st....April Fools. Humbug, I look like a dork now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.