Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrotzigS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Problems with big and blurry content on external screen when plugged in to a MacBook Pro Retina 15" running Windows 7.

I'm running Windows 7 (bootcamped) on my MacBook Pro Retina 15", using a resolution of 2880x1800 on the laptop – plus one extra monitor (a SyncMaster 245B), with its maximal setting of 1920x1200.

I’m using the option "Make text and other items larger or smaller" to make the laptop experience more comfortable for my eyes, setting it to 150%. Sadly, that also makes the scaling on the external screen blurry and ridiculously blown out of proportion – as that monitor can't handle the scaling.

This is not a problem if I'm using MacOS; it's just Windows not getting it. I haven't yet found a way to solve this (well, apart from only using MacOS, but I can't do that). Is there some setting to be hacked or some kind of program I can run to make the external monitor and the laptop look okay at the same time? Or is there a monitor I can get, that won't have this problem? Or anything, really... I'm so tired of looking at this large and blurry content.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like a windows driver issue that cannot handle the options you have selected. I'd recommend running both the rMBP's display and the external monitor at their native resolutions.

Are you select mirroring or the other option (I forget what its called) to use 2 monitors in windows. Perhaps its because you chose mirroring.

btw, no need to make the font large, its annoying.

TrotzigS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
Ridiculously large text on external monitor when the retina is set to scale to 150%.

(And no, it's not that I'm "used to the retina and just imagine the blurriness".)

attachment.php

Attachments

• screen-scaling-problem.jpg
    screen-scaling-problem.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,564

TrotzigS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
The resolution used.

I'm "extending" the screen, if that's what you mean. I use the recommended resolution for each monitor.

attachment.php

I think, as I wrote, that it's the scaling that's confusing the drivers. Two different resolutions are completely manageable. But there isn't an option for two different scalings. (And running 100% on the rMBP is really not an option for my eyesight. ;))

Was hoping someone had come up with an upgrade, addon, hack or something to solve this...

Attachments

• screen-extended.jpg
    screen-extended.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,375
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.