Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Ok, so heres the thing. My new i7 mini mac arrived today, set it all up, seemed fine except connecting to wireless keyboard. Overcome this and done a restore from time machine backup (late 2012 macbook air) but everything seems really laggy. Keep getting spinning wheel everytime i try to open anything from finder to safari to photoshop. My question is, should it make a difference where the time machine back up came from ie from MBA to Mini Mac.:confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you do a full system restore?

Perhaps it pull some cruft from the backup you wish it didn't. When I buy a new Mac, I don't do a full restore but rather pull my data back and then reinstall my apps. its a lot safer then having crap end up in the system folders I may not want

hasenpfeffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Ok, so heres the thing. My new i7 mini mac arrived today, set it all up, seemed fine except connecting to wireless keyboard. Overcome this and done a restore from time machine backup (late 2012 macbook air) but everything seems really laggy. Keep getting spinning wheel everytime i try to open anything from finder to safari to photoshop. My question is, should it make a difference where the time machine back up came from ie from MBA to Mini Mac.:confused:

I wouldn't think so. But, note that the Mac mini 2012 currently ships with a unique version of OS X 10.8.2. It seems that this uniqueness has mostly to do with Disk Utility and Fusion support, but maybe something under the covers in the storage area isn't working quite right. Try seeing if any updates are available, or wait for 10.8.3 to see if that corrects it.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Did you do a full system restore?

Perhaps it pull some cruft from the backup you wish it didn't. When I buy a new Mac, I don't do a full restore but rather pull my data back and then reinstall my apps. its a lot safer then having crap end up in the system folders I may not want

i done a full restore. Maybe the excitement got to me or i didnt fancy the daunting task of manually restoring everything. :mad:

----------

I wouldn't think so. But, note that the Mac mini 2012 currently ships with a unique version of OS X 10.8.2. It seems that this uniqueness has mostly to do with Disk Utility and Fusion support, but maybe something under the covers in the storage area isn't working quite right. Try seeing if any updates are available, or wait for 10.8.3 to see if that corrects it.

Check for updates when i first set up and there were none. Just checked again and there were 2. 10.8.2 update although thats what its already on and an EFI update. installing now so hopefully will be ok after:rolleyes:

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Have you tried activity monitor and looking for apps that use high CPU? Have you checked the RAM ?

Is time machine running during the slowdowns?

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
But, note that the Mac mini 2012 currently ships with a unique version of OS X 10.8.2. It seems that this uniqueness has mostly to do with Disk Utility and Fusion support

What? No it doesn't, it ships with exactly the same version of OS X as every other Mac. Hence why you can DIY a fusion drive in terminal on the old iMac/Mac mini.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The computer may be indexing your files for searching. This can take a while if you restored a lot of data to it. Wait a couple hours and see if it's better.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
did you buy it from apple or a reseller? if so, which one? i've gotten word some resellers try to sell off open box/returns as new inventory.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What? No it doesn't, it ships with exactly the same version of OS X as every other Mac. Hence why you can DIY a fusion drive in terminal on the old iMac/Mac mini.
The Mini does indeed use a machine-specific build of the OS.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
The computer may be indexing your files for searching. This can take a while if you restored a lot of data to it. Wait a couple hours and see if it's better.

^This. Look at the magniying glass in your menu bar to the right. If there's a dot in the center of it, it's indexing your entire filesystem. Give it a while to finish, then see if your system "feels snappier".

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
bought direct from Apple. Fresh and sealed. Updated. Still buggy. Not indexing. Repaired permissions still the same. looks like i'll have to do a fresh install and see if that makes a difference. :mad:

hasenpfeffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012

As indicated earlier, the Mac mini 2012 does indeed have a specific version of the OS at this time. What the actual differences are is a matter of debate.

The reason older minis or iMac, or any other Mac can create a fusion drive is because the 'fusion' functionality is performed by the CoreStorage framework, which was introduced in Lion.

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
The Mini does indeed use a machine-specific build of the OS.

As indicated earlier, the Mac mini 2012 does indeed have a specific version of the OS at this time. What the actual differences are is a matter of debate.

The reason older minis or iMac, or any other Mac can create a fusion drive is because the 'fusion' functionality is performed by the CoreStorage framework, which was introduced in Lion.

Even so, the machine-specific build has nothing to do Fusion functionality or Disk Utility then, as iMacs would also have this build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.