Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfusco91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I am on a budget, but wanting an iBook pretty bad

so does anyone have anywhere legitimate to get an iBook for cheap, or any other idea to keep my budget???

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
#1. No. Only K-12 teachers/institutions and higher education students/teachers/institutions get discounts. Try eBay/used, refurbished (from Apple or a vendor like PowerMax), or the "shop" tab of MacRumors' header for cheap iBook prices.

#2. Search. There is already a thread with TONS of great advice and commentary called "Cheap iBook G4s?!" or similar. It's in one of the sub-forums in "Mac Hardware," if not this one.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
wongulous said:
#1. No. Only K-12 teachers/institutions and higher education students/teachers/institutions get discounts. Try eBay/used, refurbished (from Apple or a vendor like PowerMax), or the "shop" tab of MacRumors' header for cheap iBook prices.

#2. Search. There is already a thread with TONS of great advice and commentary called "Cheap iBook G4s?!" or similar. It's in one of the sub-forums in "Mac Hardware," if not this one.
Why did Apple stop doing High School Student discounts, they stopped like this year didnt they? :(

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
rockthecasbah said:
Why did Apple stop doing High School Student discounts, they stopped like this year didnt they? :(
Umm, no. Apple has never had HS student discounts. HS students are a large target demographic; they'd never discount to them. It would be such a dumb idea, business-wise.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Get a 12" iBook. It really is the best thing you could do. Easiest to travel with, smallest footprint, and the SAME resolution as the 14" . Only downside: No Superdrive on 12" . But you can always get an external if really wanted. Buy Crucial memory (Apple's memory is expen$ive). Get the educational discount and you should come out with a machine for about $1,000 out the door.
This is how I got mine, and $1,000 isn't so bad is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.