Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I knew it could be done. Music videos made easy for the iPod. Well, there are numerous steps but for some people it may be worth the $1.99

1) Go to AOL's music video search page
2) Start watching the desired video in it's new window
3) Click View>Video Source and search (Ctrl+F) for ".mov"
4) After a couple results you will find a result like this one... [http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/ao.../fatboyslim/fatboyslim_weaponofchoice_dl.mov]
5) Copy the entire address into a text editor like word
6) Save the file as a ".html"
7) Open in Safari
8) Click on File>Save As...
9) Choose a location and save the file
10) Enjoy your music video

I think this is legal. I usually am able to rip music videos with the little arrow by clicking on "Save as .mov" but these videos won't let you do that. That might mean it is illegal... I don't know.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Or you could just copy the URL into the Google search bar, press enter, and let Google spit out the URL. Option-click the link to download to the desktop.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
or have the url copies, paste it into Safari, then command-a and option double click the asset. THEN, once you get it, it's in cinepak, so it needs to be converted. They're all 4:3 too, so it will get letterboxed no matter what.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
or

or better yet, open Safari -> Downloads (Opt + Cmd + L ), copy the URL in downloads window, it will start downloading..

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
After I save the video, I can't do anything with it but watch it. I can't use quicktime pro to export it to another format, I can't export it in iMovie, or FCP. Is there some kind of DRM of it?

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
killuminati said:
After I save the video, I can't do anything with it but watch it. I can't use quicktime pro to export it to another format, I can't export it in iMovie, or FCP. Is there some kind of DRM of it?

Sounds like they've limited it - just like the did with the Live 8 videos..

and the drag-to-safari-download-window is a great tip. I use that one all that time (you can drag urls from any app into the d/l window..]

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
holy jesus,

this thread was worth reading just to find out all the ways to download specific URLs.

Thanks, I didn't even know about half of them.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
And i thought my way was smart. That drag and drop trick is why i love apple. Thanks steve!

danielsan26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
An even easier way to get the URL is to open activity, copy what is usually the 1st URL, find the .mov url contained in it using Safari's browsing window, go to that URL, and then option-click that new address in activity.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I don't know if you guys are actually trying this. I rip videos all the time from the net and none of these things worked. You can't copy the URL and save it. Even with Pro it won't let you. Sorry to disappoint, it sounds great in logic but these videos have some sort of protection.

You can still do it the way I suggested on a PC... for whoever was asking that.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
could someone please walk me through the steps using a pc and firefox.

thanks so much,
ipaqman

briangig

macrumors regular
May 16, 2005
woah guys...you can download these video files to your HD...with some streaming content you cant, but with these you can. After you view the source for the page, get the URL that ends in .mov, copy it, then paste it into good, then click search. this gives you a link directly to the video, just right click it, or option click it, and save it to your HD.

I dont know what format they are in...I imported then into itunes, will see what can be done with them.

the codecs are Sorenson Video 3, QDesign Music 2.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
could someone please provide step by step instructions on how to do this. for some reason this doesn't work for me.

thanks so much,
ipaqman

the_freddinator

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
SE PA
Ipaqman said:
could someone please walk me through the steps using a pc and firefox.

thanks so much,
ipaqman

Open up download window (ctrl+j) click on the favicon (image next to url) and drag to download window- it's the same as safari...just with firefox.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
jimsowden said:
or have the url copies, paste it into Safari, then command-a and option double click the asset. THEN, once you get it, it's in cinepak, so it needs to be converted. They're all 4:3 too, so it will get letterboxed no matter what.

Thats the best way to do it, i tried all the other ways and none worked, THANKS dude,

Shadow

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Just curious...whats the resolution on these AOL videos?

I downloaded some videos, getting ready for my iPod to come, but I can't test them out. Will they work? Are they in 320x240?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
MrSugar said:
holy jesus,

this thread was worth reading just to find out all the ways to download specific URLs.

Same here :)

I'm ashamed to say, I've occasionally resorted to marking up a 3-line HTML file complete with A HREF :eek:

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
This is bloody awesome :D Thanks for all the suggestions on how to download the videos. The drag and drop method works best for me. Thanks again. :)

I can't believe that AOL has even heard of Bikini Kill and Bratmobile.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
When I tried it with Ben Folds (I love me the ben folds!!) it was some funky URL starting with "rtsp://" and safari didn't know what to do with it..

Couldn't download either Ben Folds video, any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.