PDA

View Full Version : 2 GB Stick of RAM? When did this happen?

phanofwclark
Oct 12, 2005, 09:50 PM
if you look at the new specs for the iMac, it seems that one of the sticks is stuck in the computer like the mac mini, and you can get a 2 GB stick as a BTO option... its another 1k dollars, but could this potentially mean up to 16 GB in the Power Mac when it is upgraded?

or is this not new at all and i'm just out of the loop....?

Whyren
Oct 12, 2005, 09:59 PM
Geez...I wonder if it is true? I'm still trying to figure out if a 1GB PC133 will fit in my Quicksilver slots.

eva01
Oct 12, 2005, 10:01 PM
yes with DDR2 you can do that

Danksi
Oct 12, 2005, 10:08 PM
It's a bit limitting though. The new iMac can handle 2.5Gb total, but to do that you need to spend $'s on a single 2Gb chip, rather than the cheaper option of 2x1Gb and a more subtle upgrade path as with the 'old' iMac.

I think most people may settle for 1.5Gb total because of the difference in price:-

1Gb = ~CDN$175
2Gb = ~CDN$700+

1.5Gb is still a lot of memory though!

CanadaRAM
Oct 12, 2005, 10:18 PM
There are no 1 Gb PC133 DIMMs compatible with Mac, so don't worry about that on the Quicksilver.

The DDR-2 RAM in the new iMac is completely different from the prior DDR RAM. The next generation G5 or MacTel towers will certainly be using DDR-2

Thanks,
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

phanofwclark
Oct 13, 2005, 08:03 PM
But are 2 GB sticks new, even if they cost about 1000 dollars??

haven't seen RAM sticks increase in size in a long time, or i just haven't noticed...

Josh396
Oct 13, 2005, 08:57 PM
But are 2 GB sticks new, even if they cost about 1000 dollars??

haven't seen RAM sticks increase in size in a long time, or i just haven't noticed...
They're new for Apple. They've been out for a while (not entirely sure for how long) but this is the first time Apple has utilized them.

Whyren
Oct 13, 2005, 08:59 PM
There are no 1 Gb PC133 DIMMs compatible with Mac, so don't worry about that on the Quicksilver.

Blast! I'll beat you one day 1.5GB max RAM!

*shakes fist*

:p

stefan15
Oct 13, 2005, 09:03 PM
Current Macs support that much RAM in the OS?!?

Heb1228
Oct 13, 2005, 09:07 PM
Current Macs support that much RAM in the OS?!?
Yep up to 8GB in some PowerMacs. I think thats only a hardware limitation, the OS itself may be able to use more than that.

AP_piano295
Oct 13, 2005, 09:16 PM
Why cant it be boosted to 4 gigs? Mebe processor power? If so that would mean that the new powermacs should be able to support a he** of alot of ram.

Josh396
Oct 13, 2005, 11:40 PM
Yep up to 8GB in some PowerMacs. I think thats only a hardware limitation, the OS itself may be able to use more than that.
I believe I read somewhere that the OS can use up to 16 GB of RAM. It will be interesting to see how many RAM slots Apple puts in the Power Macs once they get DDR2. If they leave it at 8 it could cost over $20,000 for the computer and RAM (if you really wanted 16 GB of RAM). :eek:

chucknorris
Oct 14, 2005, 01:53 AM
I believe I read somewhere that the OS can use up to 16 GB of RAM. It will be interesting to see how many RAM slots Apple puts in the Power Macs once they get DDR2. If they leave it at 8 it could cost over $20,000 for the computer and RAM (if you really wanted 16 GB of RAM). :eek:

I (as always) don't remember the exact figure, but OS X can address multiple TERABYTES of RAM if hardware allows.

As to the 2 gig sticks...call me in three years when the prices match the usefulness. If I absolutely need 2.5 gigs of RAM, I'm probably going to be unsatisfied with a consumer Mac anyway.

chucknorris
Oct 14, 2005, 02:10 AM
I (as always) don't remember the exact figure, but OS X can address multiple TERABYTES of RAM if hardware allows.

As to the 2 gig sticks...call me in three years when the prices match the usefulness. If I absolutely need 2.5 gigs of RAM, I'm probably going to be unsatisfied with a consumer Mac anyway.

Okay, so it could theoretically address 16 EXABYTES (billion billion), but is limited by the G5 processor to a measly 4 terabytes.
Here's (http://www.apple.com/g5processor/architecture.html) a link from Apple, which lays it out pretty well.

Bern
Oct 14, 2005, 02:21 AM
Wow imagine having 2.25 GB of ram in my 12" Powerbook :eek: That would be sweet. But realistically would that much ram be utilised effectively or is it just overkill?

chucknorris
Oct 14, 2005, 03:12 AM
Wow imagine having 2.25 GB of ram in my 12" Powerbook :eek: That would be sweet. But realistically would that much ram be utilised effectively or is it just overkill?

I always feel like a jerk answering a question like this, but it really does all depend.

If you regularly use that much RAM, then it's worth it. If not, it's not.

I would say that 98% of computer users don't normally run their usage that high, so I guess the short answer is it's probably not worth it.

slipper
Oct 14, 2005, 03:34 AM
good lord, $1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

chucknorris
Oct 14, 2005, 06:39 AM

Wonderful, eh?

BornAgainMac
Oct 14, 2005, 07:37 AM
I think I remember seeing 2 GB sticks a long time ago but the price wasn't for mere mortals compared to 512s. I loved the fact that I had 8 slots available for memory on my G5 to give me the option to use smaller and cheaper sticks.

For less money than this single 2 GB stick it was cheaper to buy 8 GBs of memory and a 2nd SATA 250 GB internal drive. :eek:

joecool85
Oct 14, 2005, 07:57 AM
I think I remember seeing 2 GB sticks a long time ago but the price wasn't for mere mortals compared to 512s. I loved the fact that I had 8 slots available for memory on my G5 to give me the option to use smaller and cheaper sticks.

For less money than this single 2 GB stick it was cheaper to buy 8 GBs of memory and a 2nd SATA 250 GB internal drive. :eek:

Where did you get your ram?? I don't think I've seen a reputable RAM place sell 1gb sticks for less that $150 or so a piece.

$150x8 = $1200 plus at least a hundred for the drive, so $1300. Isn't the 2gb stick $1000?

Platform
Oct 14, 2005, 08:15 AM
The Xserve has been offering 2GB sticks for a long time.....so 16GB Xserves are for sale...and has been for months ;)

xli_ne
Oct 14, 2005, 08:47 AM

my thoughts exactly

joecool85
Oct 14, 2005, 08:50 AM
The Xserve has been offering 2GB sticks for a long time.....so 16GB Xserves are for sale...and has been for months ;)

While this is true, how many people here really pay attention to the xserve line? I know I really don't. Way out of my price range and although they are cool, I have no use for them.

Platform
Oct 14, 2005, 09:00 AM
While this is true, how many people here really pay attention to the xserve line? I know I really don't. Way out of my price range and although they are cool, I have no use for them.

Yeah...same here, but trying to bring some people back to earth....WHAT 2GB at 1000+ buck WTF....c'mon........every new type technology is epensive before it is in the mainstream :cool:

nutmac
Oct 14, 2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, it goes to tell you what a rip-off Apple's BTO memory prices are. OWC charges only $339 plus S&H (2GB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz).

BiikeMike
Oct 14, 2005, 02:57 PM

I think you would be limited by your 4500 rpm hard drive. I opted for 1 gig of ram in my powerbook because there is always a bottleneck somewhere, and on these notebooks, its the hard drive.

I don't think that the extra ram would make that big of a difference, because, the only time you would need that much ram is doing large photo editing or video editing type tasks. For these tasks, you are constantly writing to the HD. With how slow the HDs are in the Books, I don't think the extra ram would be worth it.

Thats just my opinion, I could be totally wrong :D

BornAgainMac
Oct 14, 2005, 04:52 PM
Where did you get your ram?? I don't think I've seen a reputable RAM place sell 1gb sticks for less that $150 or so a piece.

$150x8 = $1200 plus at least a hundred for the drive, so $1300. Isn't the 2gb stick $1000?

OWC Memory. Good quality. I purchased 2 GBs for my PB and 8 GBs for my Powermac G5 and never had any problems. Memory was at a all-time low during the summer ~$100 per stick. I noticed it would cost me over $1,000 for the same memory today. The cheapest I saw for 8 Gbs was just under $700 before climbing over $900. Even crucial.com memory was under a grand during the summer.

http://eshop.macsales.com/

RatVega
Oct 14, 2005, 07:04 PM
I think you would be limited by your 4500 rpm hard drive. I opted for 1 gig of ram in my powerbook because there is always a bottleneck somewhere, and on these notebooks, its the hard drive.

I don't think that the extra ram would make that big of a difference, because, the only time you would need that much ram is doing large photo editing or video editing type tasks. For these tasks, you are constantly writing to the HD. With how slow the HDs are in the Books, I don't think the extra ram would be worth it.

Thats just my opinion, I could be totally wrong :D

You're not wrong, Mike.

A PowerBook is only going to benefit from increased RAM to the extent that it needs to hold data (that big Photoshop image...) in memory. The speed of the disk, the graphics board, and the processor make a "match" at much lower RAM size.

In a dual G5 PowerMac, things are different because it has four times the processing bit-width in addition to clock speed increase. BTW, in low-end tasks (Finder, iLife, etc.), you only see the difference in clock rate. It's the "heavy lifting" where you see the big difference. Running Apple ProApps such as Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, or Shake is where you see the need for RAM (and disk, and graphics.)

I've seen my RAM allocation for Final Cut go from a nominal 120MB to over 2.5GB when rendering a complex timeline. This is because when both processors are heavily tasked, the system requires more RAM buffer for data to "feed the beast."

Motion is perhaps the most overall demanding app, it will try to saturate the entire system when heavily tasked. Then you need all you can get of everything.

But as was written in a previous post, that's not what 98% of the Mac users are doing. My son's G5 iMac rocks on a gig of RAM and the upgraded disk.

BiikeMike
Oct 14, 2005, 09:58 PM
Rat, how do you find out how much ram your mac is using at a given time?

I'm all about using Final Cut Studio, I just don't think I can effectively do it on my Pbook, for the very reasons you stated. I REALLY want to play around with Motion, but I think it would kill my "tiny" processor and my slow harddrive.

I really thought about going with the 2 gigs of memory in my new Pbook, but then I decided against it, because I really wouldn't be able to utilize it.

joecool85
Oct 15, 2005, 07:37 AM
Rat, how do you find out how much ram your mac is using at a given time?

I'm all about using Final Cut Studio, I just don't think I can effectively do it on my Pbook, for the very reasons you stated. I REALLY want to play around with Motion, but I think it would kill my "tiny" processor and my slow harddrive.

I really thought about going with the 2 gigs of memory in my new Pbook, but then I decided against it, because I really wouldn't be able to utilize it.

In the applications folder, go to the utilities folder, then open activity monitor.