PDA

View Full Version : Recording Sound

strat2k2
Dec 9, 2002, 06:30 PM
I don't know about you, but I dont like how OS X is missing a simple sound recording program. All I want is something free that can record sound and maybe play it backwards or something, like all Windows computers seem to have. Anyone know of such a thing?

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 07:33 PM
Sounds like something that would be on the top of Apple's list of things to code.

;)

alex_ant
Dec 9, 2002, 07:51 PM
Spark LE is probably a bit more than you need, but it's free. www.tcworks.de (http://www.tcworks.de)

SoundStudio is comparable shareware. http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

alex_ant
Dec 9, 2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by madamimadam
Sounds like something that would be on the top of Apple's list of things to code.

;)
Yeah... iRecord: Now you can connect any line or mic input source to your... wait a second, most of our computers made over the last few years don't even have audio inputs. Nevermind :)

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant

Yeah... iRecord: Now you can connect any line or mic input source to your... wait a second, most of our computers made over the last few years don't even have audio inputs. Nevermind :)

Since when????

Most machines have audio in!

AssassinOfGates
Dec 9, 2002, 08:10 PM

Since when????

Most machines have audio in!

I know the quicksilvers don't, the imac FP doesn't, and i'm not sure about recent ibooks / powerbooks. You had to use a USB audio device. Thankfully, audio in has returned with the emacs and mirrored cd bay powermac, but they no longer support PlainTalk microphones that Apple used to make :(

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates

I know the quicksilvers don't, the imac FP doesn't, and i'm not sure about recent ibooks / powerbooks. You had to use a USB audio device. Thankfully, audio in has returned with the emacs and mirrored cd bay powermac, but they no longer support PlainTalk microphones that Apple used to make :(

The PowerBook has one, the iBook has an inBuilt Mic, the iMac also has an inBuilt Mic.

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 08:34 PM
yeah, but what about a simple in-port like my pmac for going from a stereo to your computer. a mic is great for voice, but not much more. they need bot. the in-port and the built-in mic. like the emac.

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by benixau
yeah, but what about a simple in-port like my pmac for going from a stereo to your computer. a mic is great for voice, but not much more. they need bot. the in-port and the built-in mic. like the emac.

THEY do not NEED
YOU WANT

It is not a heavily used port.... I like them and OCCASIONALLY use an in port but not all that often that I could care if I have on or not

alex_ant
Dec 9, 2002, 08:44 PM
The PowerBook has one, the iBook has an inBuilt Mic, the iMac also has an inBuilt Mic.
They have built-in mics, but the Rev A and B PowerBooks (and all the models AssassinOfGates mentioned) don't have line level inputs. All Macs used to have them, then Apple took them away, then they changed their minds and brought them back. An iRecord app would be a lot less useful if all it could do was capture from the built-in microphone.

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 08:59 PM
ahhh, if you really want an in-port the built-in mic is attached to one. how else does the mac get the sound in.

same as the built-in monitor on the imac is attached to a video out port. if iRecord took from the line-in it would get both.

just destroy your mac case and make the mic port a line-in. OR, hassle apple to put them back on all machines.

and as for not being heavily used. my dad and myself both have new pmacs. we use them at least every two or three days.

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 09:05 PM
ahhh, if you really want an in-port the built-in mic is attached to one. how else does the mac get the sound in.

same as the built-in monitor on the imac is attached to a video out port. if iRecord took from the line-in it would get both.

just destroy your mac case and make the mic port a line-in. OR, hassle apple to put them back on all machines.

Or you could just buy a Griffin iMic for AU$100 or a similar type product.

and as for not being heavily used. my dad and myself both have new pmacs. we use them at least every two or three days.

I must point out, I spoke about what I do not what everyone does. It you use it a lot, though, it is worth the AU$100 (probably around US$55).

zimv20
Dec 9, 2002, 09:07 PM
as mentioned, there are usb/audio devices, plus pci cards, firewire devices, and probably others.

it seems to me that apple, knowing its machines are used for pro audio, decided to let people buy (the much higher quality) outboard gear. i'm sure it saved them a few bucks here and there in doing that, for those who have no use for audio in.

that leaves only the hobbyist who would like some decent audio, but doesn't want to spend any extra $$. looks like you're out in the cold (you cheapos :-)

personally, i have a digidesign box that comes w/ a pci card. i've never used my audio in jack -- why would i? the quality stinks.

for the original poster: many of these devices come w/ their own software.

another thought: now that apple has acquired emagic, perhaps an iApp based on it is coming? (i.e. the iApp is simple and free, Emagic's Logic is still a high-end, pay-for item)

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 09:14 PM
i am gettiing myself a digidesign digi001 when i can get enough monsy (soon) so i am just using the port until then. my dad is using it to transfer his 78s to cd. i think he may move on to the others once he realises spin doctor works.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:19 PM

THEY do not NEED
YOU WANT

It is not a heavily used port.... I like them and OCCASIONALLY use an in port but not all that often that I could care if I have on or not

Jesus christ, what an attitude!

Nearly ALL computers have sound in.. it makes no sense for them not to have it. Quite honestly, we do not care if YOU use it or not. A lot of people do. I don't, but many do. Say you want to transfer some vinyls to mp3s. A lot of people do not want to have to go and buy an audio interface for this!

If you're going to bill the mac as a machine that's great for audio/video, it should at least be able to provide SOME sort of audio in out of the box.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:20 PM
i am gettiing myself a digidesign digi001 when i can get enough monsy (soon) so i am just using the port until then. my dad is using it to transfer his 78s to cd. i think he may move on to the others once he realises spin doctor works.

Just curious, who suckered you into the digi001? :-)

zimv20
Dec 9, 2002, 09:23 PM
i am gettiing myself a digidesign digi001 when i can get enough monsy (soon)

yeah, that's what i've got. it's nice.

do you need to record 8 simultaneous tracks? if you can get by w/ 2, check out the Mbox. it's cheaper, doesn't require a PCI slot, and has some nice FocusRite preamps.

http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

get it now w/ free mic for $450:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MBoxBun/

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:23 PM

I must point out, I spoke about what I do not what everyone does. It you use it a lot, though, it is worth the AU$100 (probably around US$55).

The bottom line is, it should not require an additional amount of money to get something that it should come with. People buy macs expecting a great audio/video computer, and when it has no audio in, they pull a very feissy... hrrrng?

And yes, you are very good at pointing out how you use it, which is fine, but then you use your usage to justify if it is a glaring omission or not. And it is.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:26 PM
And just for the record, I own a mirred-door G4 with a sound in jack, but I use MOTU stuff for all my sound and midi recording, etc. The sound-in on the mac DOES sound like total ****. However, I still think its stupid not to have that jack. What if you wanna plug in a mic quick for "real chatting" over IM or something? Not that you'd probably want to, but hey, it would cost them about a dollar to add a mic port.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by strat2k2
I don't know about you, but I dont like how OS X is missing a simple sound recording program. All I want is something free that can record sound and maybe play it backwards or something, like all Windows computers seem to have. Anyone know of such a thing?

ANYWAY, as for you, a good free app for this for OS X would be Audacity. Go ahead and pick it up at sourceforge.net.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Donno why no one else answered you, heh. Spark ME is free, but it's proally too much.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by alex_ant
Spark LE is probably a bit more than you need, but it's free. www.tcworks.de (http://www.tcworks.de)

SoundStudio is comparable shareware. http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

Spark -ME- is the free version.

alex_ant
Dec 9, 2002, 09:39 PM
One letter off. Could have been worse.

Audacity requires X11, doesn't it?

RBMaraman
Dec 9, 2002, 09:58 PM

Or you could just buy a Griffin iMic for AU$100 or a similar type product.

I just thought I'd point out that the Griffin iMic is only $34.95 in the US.

I have one and it works great. I wish my iBook did have a regular audio line in. The built-in mic sucks. It records more sound from my hard drive spinning than my voice.

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by springscansing

noone thankyou, i wanted one cause it is nice and

Originally posted by zimv20

yeah, that's what i've got. it's nice.

do you need to record 8 simultaneous tracks? if you can get by w/ 2, check out the Mbox. it's cheaper, doesn't require a PCI slot, and has some nice FocusRite preamps.

no i cant get by w/2 channels i am afraid. and, even if i could i dont want USB audio. yuck!. i do pro mixing right now on a <hangs head in shame>win98 pc</hangs head in shame> and want to go to a mac. this is serious studio mixing but on a small budget. i am selling the pc to a friend who is starting up and getting enough to get the digi001. the pc uses the mbox and it is ok.

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 10:19 PM
but hey, it would cost them about a dollar to add a mic port.

ONE DOLLAR!!!! where are you making your macs???? America???

it cost them more like 2c. bulk and in taiwan. 1c to get it and 1c to have it installed on the board.

alex_ant
Dec 9, 2002, 10:25 PM

it cost them more like 2c. bulk and in taiwan. 1c to get it and 1c to have it installed on the board.
Don't forget the A/D converter, which would be another... 2c :)

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 10:27 PM
thankyou alex_ant, i must have forgotten about that.

i got lost in apples all digital, no more CRT world. thanx

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 10:46 PM
Quite honestly, we do not care if YOU use it or not.

Unlike some, it seems, I don't see that I have the authority to speak for anyone apart from myself. I am certain that there are many others like me but I would not be so vain as to think that I can speak for them without their permission.

A lot of people do. I don't, but many do. Say you want to transfer some vinyls to mp3s. A lot of people do not want to have to go and buy an audio interface for this!

If you're going to bill the mac as a machine that's great for audio/video, it should at least be able to provide SOME sort of audio in out of the box.

Well, if that is how you want to position yourself, the Mac is also supposed to be a great graphics machine but it does not come with a tablet or a multi-button mouse with a scroll and many do not even come with a program you can design in. "If you're going to bill the mac as a machine that's great for (graphics), it should at least be able to provide SOME sort of (graphic ability) out of the box. People like you just want want want but play it off as if everything you want the machine to have is what is should have.

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 10:49 PM
another thought: now that apple has acquired emagic, perhaps an iApp based on it is coming? (i.e. the iApp is simple and free, Emagic's Logic is still a high-end, pay-for item)

Would be nice but I think Apple is building too good a relationship with DigiDesign though their aquiring of Emagic to want to release an iApp.

Then again:
1) an iApp is only consumer and DigiDesign is more Pro focus; and
2) look at Adobe... Apple got all friendly with them and then gave them a kick in the ass.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 10:54 PM

I'm taking into account paying the engineers to figure out where to stick it. :-)

madamimadam
Dec 9, 2002, 10:58 PM

The bottom line is, it should not require an additional amount of money to get something that it should come with. People buy macs expecting a great audio/video computer, and when it has no audio in, they pull a very feissy... hrrrng?

And yes, you are very good at pointing out how you use it, which is fine, but then you use your usage to justify if it is a glaring omission or not. And it is.

Once again I point out that one really should not speak for everyone without prior permission to do so.

I also point out a flaw in your arguement... people buy Macs expecting a great audio computer so you want a low quality input added.

Also, if someone needs/wants a line in and they buy a Mac WITHOUT first checking that is has that port... it is really their own fault if they get upset.

springscansing
Dec 9, 2002, 11:14 PM

Once again I point out that one really should not speak for everyone without prior permission to do so.

I also point out a flaw in your arguement... people buy Macs expecting a great audio computer so you want a low quality input added.

Also, if someone needs/wants a line in and they buy a Mac WITHOUT first checking that is has that port... it is really their own fault if they get upset.

Your mom!

zimv20
Dec 10, 2002, 02:35 AM

i'm sure i'll regret asking, but: what's wrong w/ the digi001?

or should the smiley tell me to ignore the comment?

zimv20
Dec 10, 2002, 02:40 AM

1) an iApp is only consumer and DigiDesign is more Pro focus; and

i'm wondering if iMovie has created a demand for FCP. if so, perhaps iSound (or whatever) would get people interested in Logic.

your statement is true, but i'd counter that Logic competes more w/ ProTools than any iApp would.

that said, i'd counter my own statement by pointing out that Logic has much more focus on the midi studio than ProTools does.

Now -- in my mind, the real battle has to do w/ plug-in format. apple will be pushing its audio units, whereas Digidesign has two of its own (how dumb of them to have one for consumer and one for pro -- that crap has got to stop).

so by releasing an iApp, apple can push its own plug-in format. what better way to penetrate that market than by making it free?

benixau
Dec 10, 2002, 06:38 AM

i'm sure i'll regret asking, but: what's wrong w/ the digi001?

or should the smiley tell me to ignore the comment?

yes it should.

nothing at all. if you want a good sound set-up for less than a bucket load of money than the digi001 is great. it will soon (may already have) OS X support through ProTools 6.

the olny problem with it is that it doesnt have a controllable mixer attached. oh well. cant have everything. :)

benixau
Dec 10, 2002, 06:40 AM

I'm taking into account paying the engineers to figure out where to stick it. :-)

so thats whyh my new pmac costs a few hundred dlooars more than the previous model. thanx!!

LethalWolfe
Dec 10, 2002, 07:03 AM

i'm wondering if iMovie has created a demand for FCP. if so, perhaps iSound (or whatever) would get people interested in Logic.

I'd have to say yes. I've seen quite a few "noobs" on editing forums asking Qs and making the transition from iMovie to FCP.

Lethal

madamimadam
Dec 10, 2002, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe

I'd have to say yes. I've seen quite a few "noobs" on editing forums asking Qs and making the transition from iMovie to FCP.

Lethal

I find the quality of video of iMovie REALLY bad. I would be happy to use iMovie all the time when I just want to make something dead simple instead of mucking around in FCP is the quality was ok.