PDA

View Full Version : Evil webmasters

kylos
Dec 10, 2002, 11:35 AM
If there's one thing I hate more than anything else, it's websites that restrict viewing to certain browsers.

I'm running Omniweb and I don't want Netscape 7.0. Anybody know what string Netscape id's itself to websites with? Omni doesn't yet have the capability to id itself as 7.0. I've tried several different things in the other field in Omni's compatibility pref pane, but haven't found the right one yet. Anybody else know? Thanks.

blogo
Dec 10, 2002, 11:59 AM
What about chimera?

BenderBot1138
Dec 10, 2002, 12:13 PM
Can you give an example of a website that "restricts" viewing?

:cool:

kylos
Dec 10, 2002, 12:24 PM
There's not many, but this is the latest one I've found (http://www.detroitredwings.com).

kylos
Dec 10, 2002, 12:26 PM
And what about Chimera? If it's not Netscape 7.0, it won't work (or some other webmasters browser of choice).

Moxiemike
Dec 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Eple
What about chimera?

I think we should stop recommending chimera until its full featured and a 1.0 release.

I mean, seriously, it's fast... sure... but it doesn't do half the stuff Netscape or Mozilla do. And to a lot of newbies, that's important.

BenderBot1138
Dec 10, 2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?
There's not many, but this is the latest one I've found (http://www.detroitredwings.com).

Interesting... someone will have some definite things to say about this... my advice in the interim is cheer for another team ;) (BE SURE: to flame the head office of the Wings, demanding satisfaction, or you, and your twenty friends who own season tickets will boycott the team - tripping someone on a breakaway gets a penalty shot... your breakaway to the Wings .NET was tripped up by a webmaster - You should demand that the Webmaster spend some time in the Penalty box fixing the problem).

Ensuring webpages work for everyone is, afterall, the Webmaster's job.

:cool:

kylos
Dec 10, 2002, 01:02 PM
Cheer for another team?? I tried the standard webmaster@detroitredwings.com since now I can't even get contact info, but that didn't work.

I've only gotten as far as Omniweb in my quest for the best browser 'cuz my ten gigs on my ibook are scarce and I try to keep only what I really like. Omniweb looks the best and although it has problems with java and such, it is getting better. I may try chimera sometime, but that won't help with sites that only allow certain browsers. Right now I need Netscape 7.0's id string so I can get Omniweb to id itself as Netscape.

evildead
Dec 10, 2002, 03:56 PM
You could try blocking your browser ID with a Firewall

They often do it for a reason... its simpler to just optimize your site for one browser and just make every one use it. I use several... just in case. Some sites have very particular functions that require it.

daniel77
Dec 10, 2002, 10:57 PM
the site works with opera. maybe you should use opera instead of something else :)

vniow
Dec 10, 2002, 11:03 PM

It works with Phoenix (a Mozilla derivative, Chimera is based off if it too)

Oh and don't let the v0.6 version number fool you, the only things that need to be done to it is a bit more features and more stability.

Other than that it's a wonderful browser. (speedy too)

kylos
Dec 10, 2002, 11:37 PM
Right now I'm not browsing for browsers. If any of you can determine how phoenix and chimera id themselves to a website so that it thinks they are netscape, I would be thrilled. Right now I just want to set Omniweb to work with netscape 7 only sites.

vniow
Dec 10, 2002, 11:43 PM
If any of you can determine how phoenix and chimera id themselves to a website so that it thinks they are netscape, I would be thrilled.

That's because they are Netscape. Or at least different variations of the same code.

Netscape is based off of the Gecko engine which Mozilla, Chimera and Phoenix are also based on, that's why sites think they are Netscape is because they pretty much are.

Whnever I install plugins for Phoenix on my PC, it never detects a browser named Phoenix, it detects a browser called Netscape 6.

I don't know how to make Omniweb pose as Netscape since I've never used it, sorry.

kylos
Dec 11, 2002, 12:01 AM
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:0.9.4.1) Gecko/20020508 Netscape6/6.2.3

This is Omniweb's method of identifying itself as Netscape 6.2. I need to change this string so that it reflects the differences in netscape. Since Phoenix and chimera work, I assume the problem is with the mozilla version or the gecko engine number. Anybody know the latest numbers?

Sorry I didn't explain the id string better; I thought there would be several other Omniweb users out there.