PDA

View Full Version : Buy MBA now or wait?

Liquinn
Mar 3, 2013, 01:04 PM
Hi, should I buy a MBA now or should I wait for Haswell/Broadwell? The buyers guide says it's at the end of the cycle almost.

Is the 11" or the 13" the better buy?

Thanks.

Sleepy01
Mar 3, 2013, 01:18 PM
Hmmmm, its a tough call.

I think the update will happen sometime in July.

Minor CPU bump and a GPU bump of 2X speed is likely.

Rumors of structure changes, I think they will decrease the bezel and add Hdmi out.

For the Air, I think the 11 inch is better due to portability, I mean that is why a person would be interested in the air anyway, however the 13 inch has 2 hours more battery life.

Sleepy01
Mar 3, 2013, 01:33 PM
Also get ready for people to give you a hard time about this thread. :p

KylePowers
Mar 3, 2013, 02:22 PM
For the Air, I think the 11 inch is better due to portability, I mean that is why a person would be interested in the air anyway, however the 13 inch has 2 hours more battery life.
The 13in is still very portable (just shy of 3lbs). 2 hours battery life is enormous. It also has an SD card slot. Additionally, the screen real estate makes a world of difference if you're trying to do anything productive (multiple windows side-by-side, etc).

Source: I traded my 11in for a 13in and found it much more advantageous for my productivity.

EDIT: At OP, what will you be using your MBA for? What computer do you have now?

EDIT EDIT: Jk, I see your sig. iPad 4, 2011 Mini, 13in 2012 MBP, and 15in 2012 MBP? Yeah, I think you can wait.

Liquinn
Mar 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
The 13in is still very portable (just shy of 3lbs). 2 hours battery life is enormous. It also has an SD card slot. Additionally, the screen real estate makes a world of difference if you're trying to do anything productive (multiple windows side-by-side, etc).

Source: I traded my 11in for a 13in and found it much more advantageous for my productivity.

EDIT: At OP, what will you be using your MBA for? What computer do you have now?

EDIT EDIT: Jk, I see your sig. iPad 4, 2011 Mini, 13in 2012 MBP, and 15in 2012 MBP? Yeah, I think you can wait.
I currently have a 13" and a 15" MBP - a Mac Mini and a Powermac G5.

I'll be buying an 11" Air, 15" rMBP and a few Thunderbolt Displays soon - or should I wait?

The machines will be used for Photoshop and word processing.

Thanks.

Kushp14
Mar 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
Wait, there may be a change in body and processors.

ZZ Bottom
Mar 3, 2013, 03:05 PM
I just ordered one today; a 13" with 8 gb ram from B&H. I'm sure I'm going to be sad when the new ones release, BUT I have a whole lot of work I need it for between now and summer so o well. Incidentally I be using it for much Photoshop work, so I could certainly benefit from Haswell, but I've watched reviews and the current model meets my expectations.

I would say it depends on how badly you need it. I have no other laptop, or else I may have tried sticking it out until summer.

Sleepy01
Mar 3, 2013, 03:11 PM
I just ordered one today; a 13" with 8 gb ram from B&H. I'm sure I'm going to be sad when the new ones release, BUT I have a whole lot of work I need it for between now and summer so o well. Incidentally I be using it for much Photoshop work, so I could certainly benefit from Haswell, but I've watched reviews and the current model meets my expectations.

I would say it depends on how badly you need it. I have no other laptop, or else I may have tried sticking it out until summer.

Hmmm, you should be good for the next few OS X releases. Good call on the 8 GB

ZZ Bottom
Mar 3, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hmmm, you should be good for the next few OS X releases. Good call on the 8 GB

I agree. Like many people that surf this site though, I'm obsessed with the latest and greatest. Perhaps this will be an opportunity to build some character ;)

Sleepy01
Mar 3, 2013, 03:32 PM
I agree. Like many people that surf this site though, I'm obsessed with the latest and greatest. Perhaps this will be an opportunity to build some character ;)

I don't know. Sometimes I like rocking vintage hardware. Go to starbucks with an Ibook clamshell. That would be sweet

Amplelink
Mar 3, 2013, 03:45 PM
Wait. Upcoming processor upgrade is significant. If you have no pressing need to upgrade, then wait.

Micky Do
Mar 3, 2013, 03:48 PM
Hi, should I buy a MBA now or should I wait for Haswell/Broadwell? The buyers guide says it's at the end of the cycle almost.

Is the 11" or the 13" the better buy?

Thanks.

Up to you really, but from my point of view......

I don't need or want a portable computer right now, so I am not going to buy now. For now my Mac Mini serves my needs just fine. That could change later this year; if so that's when I'll buy.

If I do buy it will be the 13".

If I was twenty years younger, with sharper eyesight the cuteness and the slightly better portability of the !!" would probably get the nod. In my late fifties now, the slightly bigger screen of the 13" is enough of a difference to be a deal breaker.

racer1441
Mar 3, 2013, 06:06 PM
Needed to order one for an employee last week. Went with a refurb unit. Saved some $ and if the upgrade is good, I'll get one of those, if not, we're ok.

merkinmuffley
Mar 3, 2013, 06:29 PM

I've run PS (CS5 and CS6) in 8GB, it runs but runs better with more.

ZZ Bottom
Mar 3, 2013, 06:43 PM
I've run PS (CS5 and CS6) in 8GB, it runs but runs better with more.

No I definitely agree. My main machine at work is a 12-core Mac Pro with 32gb. I just need the Air to work on minor graphics which will eventually be integrated into existing projects within Premiere and After Effects CS6.

I contemplated getting a 13" cMBP for the ability to run Raid SSD and 16gb ram, but that damn resolution just isn't enough. And obviously the weight difference matters to me or I wouldn't have gotten the Air.

DisplacedMic
Mar 4, 2013, 03:47 AM
I don't know. Sometimes I like rocking vintage hardware. Go to starbucks with an Ibook clamshell. That would be sweet

you pretty much have to buy old tech if you're going to be spending your money on starbucks :rolleyes::D

----------

Up to you really, but from my point of view......

I don't need or want a portable computer right now, so I am not going to buy now. For now my Mac Mini serves my needs just fine. That could change later this year; if so that's when I'll buy.

If I do buy it will be the 13".

If I was twenty years younger, with sharper eyesight the cuteness and the slightly better portability of the !!" would probably get the nod. In my late fifties now, the slightly bigger screen of the 13" is enough of a difference to be a deal breaker.

i'm a little bit younger than you but i agree with you on the eye issue. i am a scientist and i've gotten very used to my 13" MBP but i'm about to go back to lawschool so i think i am going to pick up the 13" MBA. Despite the size difference - bigger screen for nominal weight increase, i think the deal-closer for me was the battery power.

i think i can get through a day on the 13". if you end up carrying the adapter with you everywhere you go then the half decrease on the 11 doesn't seem worth it to me.

rneglia
Mar 4, 2013, 09:37 AM

I watched a French movie called "Toi et Moi" over the weekend. The movie is from 2006 but the lead character is rocking this kit.

http://www.slantmagazine.com/images/film/toietmoi.jpg