Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Thought I would just share what is a local tragedy... nothing big in the world scheme of things, but still surprising here nothless.

This happened in a suburb of a city an hour away where I have a cousin who is a grade or two above most of the people who were on the bus. She said those that were killed were 11-13 years old and teacher was possibly killed as well.

Links:

My Local News (not detailed)

MSNBC News (more detailed)

jeffzoom

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
The sad thing is....those kids were probably not in the mood to die, or become seriously hurt. I know what they went through earlier that day, cause at 1:30 a.m. this morning i was on a bus coming home too, it was in florida though. I gotta tell ya, band people don't get to have fun on the weekends, we have school and a game friday, (me personally) rehersal and a competition all say saturday(and th first few hours on sunday :D :p ), then we come home and do homework/housewrok on sunday.......but it is for the retainment of talented horn players (yeah yeah percussion too, and well maybe not woodwinds... :eek: :D)
Sorry for jacking yer thread but, i feel sorry for those kids, life must have sucked. Also seeing how it was one bus, they must have been a small band(we take up four buses), so they may not have done well in their competition....My heart goes out to them

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
jeffzoom said:
The sad thing is....those kids were probably not in the mood to die, or become seriously hurt.

Who is EVER in the mood to die or become seriously hurt?

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
jeffzoom said:
Also seeing how it was one bus, they must have been a small band(we take up four buses), so they may not have done well in their competition....My heart goes out to them

The way wisconsin Marching competitions work is bands are broken up into classes (I was in class AAA in highschool, this was a AAAA band, and are the biggest ones, class A being the small bands) they also placed third, so they did pretty well.

After all, it really wouldn't make any sense if all 3 or 4 busses they had piled up, now would it?

also, the band i was in was about having fun, we sometimes placed well, but we always felt good about what we did, and people always enjoyed our shows. (granted we were a rarity, but still)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Very sad and tragic accident. My prayers go out to the victims, and their family and friends.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
There was one 11 year old killed, the other 4 were adults. Assuming this story is correct link.

Band director Douglas Greenhalgh, 48, his wife, Therese, 51, and their 11-year-old granddaughter, Morgan Greenhalgh, were killed early Sunday, along with bus driver Paul Rasmus, 78, and student teacher Brandon Atherton, 24.

I remember going to those exact competitions when I was in the HS band from a small town in central WI. My uncle and cousin were actually at the event (my cousin was in a different band). It is quite a tragedy for a small town to absorb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.