Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Dont.....

think so. Not seeing new Air coming without Haswell chips. If so, maybe August-September, before back to school season (thinking in marketing).

:):apple:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Not sure what they would do to improve the design - maybe just change the look to make it seem "better".

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Not sure what they would do to improve the design - maybe just change the look to make it seem "better".

There's plenty of bezel space that could turn into screen, so 11 and 13" become 12 and 14" models.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The mobile Haswell chips don't seem to be likely to appear until the fall. I think the Macbook Air will see a redesign, as Apple usually does this after 3 updates of the same design. We have had 3 different unibody Airs, so it is due.

I don't expect much, except a smaller footprint and IPS display. We may also see the black finish that the iPhone/iPad Mini have come to the Air which could look cool.

Don't expect Retina, the battery in the Macbook Air can't sustain it.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
No redesign, be happy with a Retina screen, and 512 SSD and 16 GB ram!;):eek:

while i am never one to dissuade options, i for one wouldn't pick the Retina screen - certainly not on the 11" anyway. It already almost seems like a bit of a waste on the 13" MBP as it does not have a dedicated GPU, although i'm sure nobody that buys one regrets it!

For me though the big reason i would avoid a retina MBA would be battery life...

----------

There's plenty of bezel space that could turn into screen, so 11 and 13" become 12 and 14" models.

that's an excellent point! i hadn't thought of that

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Update announcements have happened in July for the past couple of years. However, the actual shipping product could well be later into the fall.

I expect (hope for) Haswell, and longer battery life as a result. Maybe a fractionally bigger screen and/or upgrades to RAM and SSD. Otherwise, the MBA is pretty much perfect. No need for Retina.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I would love to see a Retina display included in the next refresh of the MBA. Despite the small size of the iPad Retina, every time I turn mine on I am impressed anew by its incredible resolution. I would love to see the same thing in in the new MBA. Battery life has created no problems at all in the iPad Retina. The Retina model has the same incredible battery life as the non Retina iPad models. I could live with the current MBA's maximum of 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of flash storage. Of Course, an upgrade to 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB of flash storage would be useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.