PDA

View Full Version : iPod and warranty info

leekohler
Oct 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, a friend of mine is having a problem. His iPod which is less than a year old, is really screwed up. It locks up all the time and nothnig we've tried seems to fix it. We've tried resetting it, erasing it and reinstalling and just about everything else. I think it's probably a hardware problem at this point.

So here's the problem- his Mom, who lives in a different state, has all the receipt and extended warranty info. He keeps asking her to send it, but she keeps forgetting. Is there a way for him to get help or a replacement from Apple without this info?

robbieduncan
Oct 18, 2005, 09:24 AM
If it's less than a year old I think you can use this screen (http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/). You just need the serial number (it's on the back of the iPod).

devilot
Oct 18, 2005, 09:25 AM
I really don't think he needs a receipt if he brings it into an Apple store.

They'll type in the serial # (on the back of the iPod; your friend could even check for himself online) and that will state the # of days he has left of AppleCare.

rainman::|:|
Oct 18, 2005, 09:30 AM
When mine flaked out, on the extended 1-year, I didn't have my receipt; I did it all online and they never asked.

leekohler
Oct 18, 2005, 10:04 AM
You guys rock! As usual. :)

DarkNetworks
Oct 18, 2005, 10:32 AM
When mine flaked out, on the extended 1-year, I didn't have my receipt; I did it all online and they never asked.

sorry but how?

pdpfilms
Oct 18, 2005, 11:13 AM
If you call apple and let them know about your issues, they'll be able to tell if it's under warranty or not if you give them the serial number. I didn't have to present any warranty info when mine was replaced over the phone a month ago.