Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
The Galaxy S4 is launching on over 330 carriers in over 150 countries. The S4 is feature packed and has a proven track record of high performance. It improves on everything that made the Galaxy S3 sell millions. If you have an S3, you would probably still be satisfied with your current device but there are still billions of people who have never owned an S3 that would be enticed by the S4. When the S3 was released, there were also negative reactions on tech sites much like there is now but it turned out to be a huge success. Mark my word, the Galaxy S4 will sell over 100 million units within 12 months of its release.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Dont know about numbers but is a fact it will be a success, pretty much the android flagship this year.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Dont know about numbers but is a fact it will be a success, pretty much the android flagship this year.

I will certainly get one. The size of S3 is the limit for me. And yet S4 is the same size but packs a larger screen (which is main buying criteria for me).

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I will certainly get one. The size of S3 is the limit for me. And yet S4 is the same size but packs a larger screen (which is main buying criteria for me).

Exactly ! Some people seem to think that just because the screen is bigger means the housing is going to increase too.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Me too. The rumors were true that it would stay the same size and is why i will eventually get one. If it were bigger, probably not. Actually , it is not quite as wide as the GS3. Just a wee bit narrower.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It inevitably will be the best selling android device this year... All fairly obvious, though the opening thread post reads like a carphonewarehouse sales speech.

With the largest percentage of android users and decent in your face marketing (wiping all memories of the patronising, masagonanistic, and racially stereotypical press launch) then it will invariably sell the most of any android device.

That being said - for me personally as I never liked the SGS3 design wise and have never been a fan of Touchwiz, the GS4 offers me little incentive to buy it. I will be sticking with the HTC One. For me personally its designed better to accommodate how I use a phone software wise and I vastly prefer it's design ethos.

HTC may have done enough to keep it in the game, but compared to the marketing muscle power of Samsung the HTC One will be lucky to sell 10-15 million globally this year.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It inevitably will be the best selling android device this year... All fairly obvious, though the opening thread post reads like a carphonewarehouse sales speech.

With the largest percentage of android users and decent in your face marketing (wiping all memories of the patronising, masagonanistic, and racially stereotypical press launch) then it will invariably sell the most of any android device.

That being said - for me personally as I never liked the SGS3 design wise and have never been a fan of Touchwiz, the GS4 offers me little incentive to buy it. I will be sticking with the HTC One. For me personally its designed better to accommodate how I use a phone software wise and I vastly prefer it's design ethos.

HTC may have done enough to keep it in the game, but compared to the marketing muscle power of Samsung the HTC One will be lucky to sell 10-15 million globally this year.

Hopefully it will be easy to install aosp on the One and the battery life is not as bad as verge stated. Then the gs4 can stay with the marketing struck buyers.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Hopefully it will be easy to install aosp on the One and the battery life is not as bad as verge stated. Then the gs4 can stay with the marketing struck buyers.

Engadget review state they got 8hrs of usage out of the htc :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Engadget review state they got 8hrs of usage out of the htc :confused:

I'm not too worried about battery life for the HTC one and of the forthcoming handsets. I was able to last a full day on my one X and that was with a 1800mAh battery. I'm sure a 2300mAh battery will be grand for me.

Personally, I wouldn't want to put AOSP on the handset. For me Sense 5 is as much part of the experience HTC are offering with their device, and I really like what they have done with Sense 5.

And stock AOSP Android doesn't always mean better battery life. Look at those with battery issues on the Nexus 4....

I think Sense 5 will be devisive though, but I'm willing to buy into its philosophy for a while.. For me personally it is cleaner than Touchwiz and Samsung's S-Apps don't appeal to me in any way that I would ever utilise them. Group Play seems like the most silly of recent additions. Just give the phone better speakers already . How often are you ever anywhere where there are an abundance of folks dancing around their smartphones?

Either way both handsets are fantastic. In the end the consumer wins. What people prefer is going to be subjective, I wish Samsung had done one thing however, and that is standardise the SGS4 so that you got the same phone regardless of what region you are in. Invariably at the moment they have created a flagship handset where one is slightly more 'flagship' than the other....

We still have to see Battery benchmarks for the SGS4, they will be interesting especially considering the two SKU's.

It has 9% more battery than the HTC One, but the 1.9ghz Snapdragon model is also clocked 10% faster CPU wise and has faster GPU. Those things could nullify battery capacity differences between the handsets.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Regardless of the various "meh" type reviews I think the S4 will be successful for Samsung. I think over all its a solid update. Not a huge "This changes everything" update but a solid one

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Regardless of the various "meh" type reviews I think the S4 will be successful for Samsung. I think over all its a solid update. Not a huge "This changes everything" update but a solid one

Agreed. I'll be skipping it because I've had an S3 and it isn't a massive update over the S3 (in terms of features I would actually use), but for anyone buying for the first time it would be a no brainer - the S4 is well worth it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

For those not with the S3 or a 2012 flagship phone of any sort the S4 is massive upgrade over handsets of 2011.

I'm not sure what Samung could have done to put more in, and arguably the Samsung S-KitchenSink approach to software could have been scaled back - that to me is more of a meh! than the hardware which undeniably is great.

But really its a very good handset and will be the flagship Android regardless of manufacturer sales-wise this year.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Yes, and Samsung has really built up an incredible momentum with their marketing too.

I was shocked lately when my niece (16 yrs old) decided to get a S3 instead of an iP5. She and her friends now refers to it as just "a Galaxy" and the point of hipster-gravity is shifting fast from iPhones to "get a Galaxy". Just a year ago around here, noone her age around here (or any age 15-30 really) would be caught dead with anything but an iPhone. Now both are fair game.

I don't see this development changing until Apple comes out with a strongly updated phone (considerably larger screen) & OS, which probably won't happen for another year at least. In other words - I bet the S4 will be hugely successful.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes, and Samsung has really built up an incredible momentum with their marketing too.

I was shocked lately when my niece (16 yrs old) decided to get a S3 instead of an iP5. She and her friends now refers to it as just "a Galaxy" and the point of hipster-gravity is shifting fast from iPhones to "get a Galaxy". Just a year ago around here, noone her age around here (or any age 15-30 really) would be caught dead with anything but an iPhone. Now both are fair game.

I don't see this development changing until Apple comes out with a strongly updated phone (considerably larger screen) & OS, which probably won't happen for another year at least. In other words - I bet the S4 will be hugely successful.

Blackberry is still very popular with teens here, mostly for BBM. I work down at the comprehensive school now and again and its always BB curves that the teens seem to have, with the odd few using older hand-me-down iPhones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Blackberry is still very popular with teens here, mostly for BBM. I work down at the comprehensive school now and again and its always BB curves that the teens seem to have, with the odd few using older hand-me-down iPhones.

Same, I still see more iPhones or Blackberries than S3s, but really there are an abundance of all of them.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

I think you are right, the thing about kids is that they like to show each other whats on their screen when they are in a group, this is so much easier with a larger screen phone. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't think the difference in screen size is THAT much :p It's not like a tablet!

Yes but if they're showing naughty pictures 1" is a big difference to their ego ;)

In my day 'ill show you mine if you show me yours' was done in the privacy of the back of the bicycle sheds. Teens these day.. So brazen ;) :p

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I don't think the difference in screen size is THAT much :p It's not like a tablet!

Honestly, around 30% more screen real estate is quite considerable :D

Also the size of the whole phone plays into this, my niece had this (horrible :p) pink flipcover on and I think she sees it as something akin to a teen address book or diary, that sort of thing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's amazing apple themselves will remark how helpful and useful and awesome a little bit of extra screen real estate helps the experience when they compare their ipad mini to the nexus 7.

But when it comes to the iPhone all that extra screen real estate goes out the window.

What? You say the iPhone is about using it one handed? Oh, apples own marketing and official ipad mini video states it can be used one handed as well.

Funny stuff.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Im sure they will...especially with you as their brand champion/marketer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.