PDA

View Full Version : video iPod already crashed! Help please.

0s and 1s
Oct 18, 2005, 10:06 PM
I just purchased it and immediately connected it to my Sony laptop (vgn-s560) and as soon as I connected it it froze. It's been stuck at the main screen for 10 minutes now.

I'ved tried toggling the hold switch and have held on to the Menu / Play buttons for 30 seconds and nothing!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

eva01
Oct 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
If you do have a Mac connect it and go to disk utility and format it. then try again

0s and 1s
Oct 18, 2005, 10:11 PM
D'oh. The manual says that it should be the center button AND the menu button.

tech4all
Oct 18, 2005, 10:12 PM
Can you reset it via the iPod updater? I'm not how that works on PCs though.

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:13 PM
I just purchased it and immediately connected it to my Sony laptop (vgn-s560) and as soon as I connected it it froze. It's been stuck at the main screen for 10 minutes now.

I'ved tried toggling the hold switch and have held on to the Menu / Play buttons for 30 seconds and nothing!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!Did you install the iPod software (included with the iPod) on the Sony laptop FIRST? If not, you should do this.

As far as the resetting of the iPod goes, I don't know why your reset sequence hasn't worked. Here's the relevant Apple page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Nermal
Oct 18, 2005, 10:15 PM
MODS please DELETE! Thanks.

It's best to leave it here in case someone else runs into the same problem :)

0s and 1s
Oct 18, 2005, 10:17 PM
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new? I don't remember doing it for the 4th gen iPod. I had already d/l iTunes 6, so I figured that installing the disc software was unnecessary.

No issues now. Uploading music/video as we speak.

I appreciate the help!

tech4all
Oct 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new?

I'm pretty sure it's always been Center and Menu that did a reset on iPods. But sometimes I to that it was Center and Play ;)

clayj
Oct 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'm assuming that new reset sequence is new? I don't remember doing it for the 4th gen iPod. I had already d/l iTunes 6, so I figured that installing the disc software was unnecessary.

No issues now. Uploading music/video as we speak.

I appreciate the help!The iPod software and iTunes are NOT the same thing, so yes, you should install the iPod CD FIRST. It's smart enough not to reinstall iTunes if it's already installed.

pdpfilms
Oct 18, 2005, 10:46 PM
The iPod software and iTunes are NOT the same thing, so yes, you should install the iPod CD FIRST. It's smart enough not to reinstall iTunes if it's already installed.

There's also an iPod updater already available. Checkout macbytes for more.

0s and 1s
Oct 18, 2005, 10:59 PM
That updater is found on the disc.

asherman13
Oct 19, 2005, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it's always been Center and Menu that did a reset on iPods. But sometimes I to that it was Center and Play ;)

not to rain on your parade, but the Center and Menu buttons (when pressed simultaneously) have reset the ipod since the click wheel was used with the ipod mini. in all click wheel ipods, this system has been used.