Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mflat5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
I'm still semi-grumbling that Apple decided to remove the top connection port in favor of everything going through the dock connector (like PalmPilots and other handhelds).

One of the main features I liked about using two ports was that you could use an accessory on top AND be able to charge or run off the plug's electricity at the same time w/out battery drain. You didn't have to worry about the battery as much if you were home or near a plug.

Now you must swap out (and run the battery down), or have the accessories have a pass-through power supply (which is mostly unlikely since accessories tend to be small to match the small-ness of the device).

Small issue perhaps.. but with the known battery issue around the iPod re: non-swappable, prone to "wearing out", etc. it could cost the end-user more money for battery replacements... And with video, it makes battery drain even more of an issue...

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
I agree. I really don't understand why Apple removed the top "remote connector." Was it that much of an eyesore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.