PDA

View Full Version : Decoding multipart newsgroup files on a mac

DannyZR2
Dec 12, 2002, 06:57 AM
I have been trying to join multipart segmented files from newsgroups.. If anyone has done this successfully, I could use some help.

There are some videos and other files that I have donwloaded all of the segments of. The posts make reference to YEnc and MacBin, so I used the program Rosetta to join the files (which handles YEnc[odoed] files and I get a .dmg file that does not mount.

The thing is... I have done this on several multipart files and had the same outcome... something is wrong on my end I am sure... if anyone knows how to do this or where to go for help, please email me or post a reply... thank you much...

katchow
Dec 12, 2002, 07:45 AM
hey,

geez, i'd like to learn more about this too...i've been trying out several newsreaders, some that auto joins files and some that are manual...my biggest problem is i never find a complete multi-part post of anything. i mean not a single one! it's bizarre...i doesn't seem right, i mean, do you have to scour a newsgroup for days/weeks to find even one legitimate binary?

i used hogwasher a long while ago and it always downloaded multipart mp3's pretty good...but all other programs show everything to be incomplete...

sorry i'm no help, just curious too...

katchow

alex_ant
Dec 12, 2002, 07:48 AM
I don't know any way to easily join files after they've already been manually downloaded, but for decoding as they're being downloaded, Thoth and MT-NewsWatcher work for me. (Thoth works better but it's shareware)

DannyZR2
Dec 12, 2002, 01:31 PM
I've tried THOTH as well, and still, perhaps I don't know exactly what steps to do with it, but when I donwloaded a test set of files, all i get are those files, still separated.. how do I join them and install them?

bousozoku
Dec 12, 2002, 04:52 PM
I've always used Mozilla or Netscape for this and they work fine. On Mac OS 9.x, you can also use MS Outlook Express.

alex_ant
Dec 12, 2002, 04:53 PM
With Thoth, you highlight all the message parts inside the newsgroup window you want to download, then you ctrl-click and select "Extract Binaries". Then Thoth downloads them all and pieces them together for you.

Nipsy
Dec 12, 2002, 07:31 PM
You are prolly looking for UnrarX (versiontracker.com)