PDA

View Full Version : listen Don't Buy new powerbook 15" or 17"

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 07:59 PM
hey,

Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive, ok so. So I started the computer and everything was fine, went throw the whole process of setting up the computer. . Then I logged on and starting using the computer, the screen was nice and bright and very clear. I coudn't believe it, so I wanted to match a movie to see how it looked and then the screen strated to flicker like crazy it looked like someone was running a powerdrill on the screen. . . Then after 5 min of that it went dark, nothing know pic only sound. . I was scared so I called apple care and they didn't know what to tell me.. . So they conect me to the next level, and they told me that they was worry of this happing on the 15 and 17 because of the higher sceen Res, I was like what "this didn't make sense". . So the computer screen was dead and they want me to send it back, so that what I did and they are sending a new one. . . This dont sound right to me, how can appe computer know about this and not fix it before they strated to sell them. Can someone please make sense to this for me

mikemodena
Oct 20, 2005, 08:09 PM
hey,

Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive, ok so. So I started the computer and everything was fine, went throw the whole process of setting up the computer. . Then I logged on and starting using the computer, the screen was nice and bright and very clear. I coudn't believe it, so I wanted to match a movie to see how it looked and then the screen strated to flicker like crazy it looked like someone was running a powerdrill on the screen. . . Then after 5 min of that it went dark, nothing know pic only sound. . I was scared so I called apple care and they didn't know what to tell me.. . So they conect me to the next level, and they told me that they was worry of this happing on the 15 and 17 because of the higher sceen Res, I was like what "this didn't make sense". . So the computer screen was dead and they want me to send it back, so that what I did and they are sending a new one. . . This dont sound right to me, how can appe computer know about this and not fix it before they strated to sell them. Can someone please make sense to this for me

Chances are they didn't know until they got shipped and people started calling. Atleast they are replacing your machine. Most other companies would tell you you're SOL.

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:16 PM
i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

tdhurst
Oct 20, 2005, 08:19 PM
very funny, I dont care about spelling i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

Seriously...there are lemons all the time. It happens. Aren't they sending you a new one right now?

Gherkin
Oct 20, 2005, 08:19 PM
This could happen with any company and with any product dude. Yes, it must suck for you, but faulty products are made everyday and someone has to get them. Doesn't mean all Powerbooks are broken.

obeygiant
Oct 20, 2005, 08:22 PM
i this spent 2k or some f computer that is dead after 20 min of using!!!!!!!!! listen this is not right from apple and im calling someone about this....

if you dont call someone about this i will. because it MUST be reported.
Apple can not get away with this. I always knew Apple was up to something.
Millions of people are at stake here, so we cannot fail. If i were in you position
i wouldnt use email for a few days just in case they've implanted
a virus to track your PURPOSEFULLY faulted powerbook. Apple can only be
summed up in this one word... evil.

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:25 PM
This could happen with any company and with any product dude. Yes, it must suck for you, but faulty products are made everyday and someone has to get them. Doesn't mean all Powerbooks are broken.

listen i understand that things happen but, listen it took them how many months to uograde... I don't care this is something that they should have known, and wait this problem will become a big issue... So go ahead and and make fun off me, we see who laughing after letter

obeygiant
Oct 20, 2005, 08:26 PM
listen i understand that things happen but, listen it took them how many months to uograde... I don't care this is something that they should have known, and wait this problem will become a big issue... So go ahead and and make fun off me, we see who laughing after letter

dont worry dude, i'm with you. this is a big issue and you shouldnt let it die.
keep posting about it.

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:29 PM
dont worry dude, i'm with you. this is a big issue and you shouldnt let it die.
keep posting about it.

Im sorry for being angery and my spelling, I this can't understand what happen with a 2k computer after 20 min of using... It dosn't make it right anyway you look at it...Im so
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

obeygiant
Oct 20, 2005, 08:31 PM
Im sorry for being angery and my spelling, I this can't understand what happen with a 2k computer after 20 min of using... It dosn't make it right anyway you look at it...Im so

dont worry dude, srsly.
just go to the refridgerator and drink a beer, sit on the couch
and watch tv.

mrzeve
Oct 20, 2005, 08:41 PM

Dont pay attention to anyones judgement of your spelling or grammer.

One thing that I have noticed about fellow mac users is that whenever someone brings up a flaw or defect in what Apple is doing, they immeditatley look for spelling mistakes. They just look for any excuse at all to dismiss the bigger issue at hand.

Have any of you ever stopped and thought that maybe, just maybe, english isnt this users first language? Perhaps he (or anyone else for that matter that you find it necessary to humilate for poor grammer/spelling) didnt get the same education that you did growing up? Couldnt afford college? Born with a birth defect that affected learning ability?

Stop being such grouchy computer nerds and work towards a solution of the problem. Dont work at making a person feel so uncomfortable and ruin what may already be a suffering amount of self confidence.

Grow to other peoples cultures and accept them for who they are. If I walked around manhattan and bitched and moaned at every guy who came up to me trying to sell me a cd and said something along the lines of 'Sorry, but I cant buy this from you because your speaking differently than I do' - well that just wouldnt make for a very nice place to live, now would it?

And I dont smell BS at all, I smell someone leaving because of being made to feel so uncomfortable.

How old are you guys? Can ya'll just grow up?

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:42 PM
Maybe make it a few beer

Im calling apple and tell them that, i dont have any use off their computers and I want them to credit my card back. . .

Sun Baked
Oct 20, 2005, 08:44 PM
It took them so long to release because there is a new Intrepid2 System Controller -- it's not just a speed bumped machine with a new screen, it's got a new chipset.

Apple was also likely waiting on the 7448 for this machine, which looks like a failure to show.

We will probably see a speed bump quite soon.

The all new chipset likely means the machine will likely be around (even if it's a legacy machine) for at least 2 more years.

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 08:44 PM
So if this post is real you got a DOA notebook, big deal Apple are replacing it - welcome to the wonderful world of IT where things go wrong all the time.

Oh well have fun with your new notebook when it turns up.

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:46 PM
and by the way I only been in the US for two years, Im from spain. .. So sorry for ****ing up the english everyone!!!!!!!!

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 08:48 PM
and by the way I only been in the US for two years, Im from spain. .. So sorry for ****ing up the english everyone!!!!!!!!

Have you considered chilling out for a second, then posting what actually happened? I'm sorry but in IT things go wrong all the time, Apple probably made 10s of thousands of these notebooks, some are going to be DOA that is just life. Apple have done all they can do which is agree to replace the notebook for you, I know plenty of IT companies that would force you to send it in for repair.

MacMan22
Oct 20, 2005, 08:51 PM
I am typing this on a brand new 12" PB. I received one this afternoon from Amazon. The screen started getting vertical lines 10 seconds after booting up. Apple Care said to take it to the Tysons Corner, VA store and have them confirm the screen issue. I walked out with a brand new replacement even though I didn't buy it direct from Apple. Those guys at the store were awesome to say the least. That's why I love Apple products.

jmufellow
Oct 20, 2005, 08:53 PM
Sorry about the powerbook though, if I were you I would wait for the next one and if it ends up being faulty, then I wouldn't blame you for ditching apple. But I highly doubt this will be the case.

:edit: weird...the fist part of my post was edited off (by a mod?)...what I said though was something of the effect of I don't understand why the OP keeps posting if he already basically gave this forum the finger.

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 08:55 PM
Yes I uderstand that when you making a large amount of products things happen, but im this angry because 2k is alot of money and some people are not rich , so people have to work hard for their pay checks

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 09:02 PM
Yes I uderstand that when you making a large amount of products things happen, but im this angry because 2k is alot of money and some people are not rich , so people have to work hard for their pay checks

I can understand why you are pissed, but like I've said 2 times already things go wrong in IT all the time. Notebooks are notorious for having things go wrong with them. If you step back from the problem for a second and look at it from the outside you'll see that 1) you paid $2000 for a notebook 2) it is DOA 3) you are getting a replacement. So you don't get to use it now, if you would chill out for a second instead of going off on an I hate Apple diatribe and considered your options you could try returning the notebook to the store you bought it from and getting it replaced straight away, or if you ordered it online you'll have to wait for Apple to replace it.

Nothing here is as bad as you make it out to be. If there is a problem with all of the screens on these notebooks how come people have seen them in store working? If this is a major issue complaining and ranting wont fix it, you have 2 choices 1) You get a new working notebook 2) You get your money back and buy another brand of computer. None of these options hurt me or anyone else on this forum in anyway, and I'm sorry people went off at you but you have to admit you did post with a rather angry attitude?

grapes911
Oct 20, 2005, 09:06 PM
Chances are they didn't know until they got shipped and people started calling. Atleast they are replacing your machine. Most other companies would tell you you're SOL.
Name one. Almost every reputable company would replace a product in this same situation.

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 09:07 PM
Name one. Almost every reputable company would replace a product in this same situation.

I think the guy means the OP would be forced to wait for a repair. Plenty of IT companies work that way unfortunately.

YellowLabrador
Oct 20, 2005, 09:09 PM
Chefon,

Relax dude, you'll be getting your replacement soon.
:)

chefonthegony
Oct 20, 2005, 09:13 PM
Yes you guys are right and Im sorry, i was this looking to switch from PC to Apple and I couldn't understand how some something cost so much be dead. . . Its like buying a BMW and and when you drive it for the first time it die. . . But anyway sorry MacRumors, I will this never own a Apple

Take care ;) ;) ;)

solvs
Oct 20, 2005, 09:19 PM
So sorry for ****ing up the english everyone!!!!!!!!
What do you mean everyone? There was like 1 guy, and he seems to be banned now. You had 1 bad Apple, and now you're through with them? I don't understand. Did you enjoy it before it went bad? If so, wait for the replacement. If it sucks too, and Apple can't help you, no one here will fault you for taking your $2000 elsewhere.

Some people here are jerks, but most of us are pretty cool. Even if we can be spelling nazis sometimes (OS X comes with a built in spellchecker BTW). I suggest you sleep on it and come back when you feel better and are in less of a bad mood (though I completely understand why you are in a bad mood). I suspect you are just letting off steam and will feel better after it's fixed and you get to know us better. ;)

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 09:19 PM
...I couldn't understand how some something cost so much be dead...

I work for an IT reseller and we get DOA hardware all the time, from every manufacturer. This has nothing to do with Apple at all, if you don't have the patience to wait for your replacement and will dump the platform because you got a DOA TFT I recommend you consider giving up computers all together because you are bound to strike more problems if you buy enough computers.

All the best anyway.

Whyren
Oct 20, 2005, 09:34 PM
It's a pain, I know, but just be glad Apple is replacing your system at no cost and that it happened right away (before the warranty expired). This stuff happens. My friend had a PowerBook for less than a year when his motherboard completely fried (fortunately he was still under AppleCare). I had to return my original iPod earphones because of static problems. These things happen, and are in no way an Apple-exclusive problem...every computer manufacturer has problems like these. The chances are extremely good that your next system will be flawless.

bbarnhart
Oct 20, 2005, 09:41 PM
I'm the one who made fun of chefonthegony's spelling and my post was deleted. I would like to apologize for my shortsightedness as I didn't consider that english was not chefonthegony first language. Again, chefonthegony, sorry for my comments.

If it makes you feel any better, my TiVo died today and has ruined my evening. Just try watching a TV show without TiVo and a teething 14 month old and we'll all feel like chefonthegony and his near DOA PowerBook.

applemacdude
Oct 20, 2005, 09:51 PM
ill be glad to take that powerbook if your dont want it =]

anyways...

calmate te van a dar un powerbook nuevo.... alomenos te estan dando uno nuevo.... =]

Eevee
Oct 20, 2005, 09:58 PM
I am typing this on a brand new 12" PB. I received one this afternoon from Amazon. The screen started getting vertical lines 10 seconds after booting up. Apple Care said to take it to the Tysons Corner, VA store and have them confirm the screen issue. I walked out with a brand new replacement even though I didn't buy it direct from Apple. Those guys at the store were awesome to say the least. That's why I love Apple products.

MacMan22, thanks for sharing with us your problem with the new 12" PB and your reason why you enjoy Apple products. I was shocked to hear that the new PBs you and chefonthegony obtained already have major screen problems and I thank you two for pointing them out. chefonthegony I hope you will enjoy your replacement. It's a great mobile machine. Trust me. Please keep us updated when your new PB arrives.

As part of the Macrumors community, we should support one another the best we can. Members should feel comfortable to post questions, problems, and interests about Mac products. Especially new members and others from different culture and background (thanks mrzeve for pointing this out).

ksz
Oct 20, 2005, 10:02 PM
Yes you guys are right and Im sorry, i was this looking to switch from PC to Apple and I couldn't understand how some something cost so much be dead. . . Its like buying a BMW and and when you drive it for the first time it die. . . But anyway sorry MacRumors, I will this never own a Apple

Take care ;) ;) ;)
I sympathize with your plight, but I really don't understand your black-and-white attitude.

1. Apple is going to replace your machine. They stand behind the products they sell and they are proving this to you. This is the meaning of New Product Warranty. Why do companies have New Product Warranties? Answer: Because they know they cannot achieve 100% quality control. If something slips by for *whatever* reason, the New Product Warranty is there for the consumer.

2. Earlier models of PowerBooks had non-uniform brightness which irked a lot of people. Apple dealt with that problem.

If you take a black-and-white attitude with everything in your life, you will get nowhere. What will happen if you now go and buy a Dell and that thing also dies on you?

Today, no Apple. Tomorrow, no Dell. One by one you will reject everything and find yourself on a deserted island. Black and White.

risc
Oct 20, 2005, 10:25 PM
MacMan22...I was shocked to hear that the new PBs you and chefonthegony obtained already have major screen problems and I thank you two for pointing them out.

Did Apple even update the 12" PowerBook? I know plenty of people with them and there is nothing happening here to suggest this is anything more than a random incident.

As for chefonthegony's new 15" PowerBook I see no reason to consider this anything other than a random DOA notebook, and I wont be changing my mind until more people post here about this issue. It could of been as simple as the backlighting being DOA, or a cable coming loose connecting the TFT, his attitude and refusal to deal with the problem other than getting his cash back and dumping the Apple platform really has given none of us any information to decide whether this is a major problem or a simple case of a DOA machine.

ksz
Oct 20, 2005, 10:32 PM
2. Earlier models of PowerBooks had non-uniform brightness which irked a lot of people. Apple dealt with that problem.
More specifically, white spots.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/

maya
Oct 20, 2005, 10:56 PM
Did Apple even update the 12" PowerBook? I know plenty of people with them and there is nothing happening here to suggest this is anything more than a random incident.

As for chefonthegony's new 15" PowerBook I see no reason to consider this anything other than a random DOA notebook, and I wont be changing my mind until more people post here about this issue. It could of been as simple as the backlighting being DOA, or a cable coming loose connecting the TFT, his attitude and refusal to deal with the problem other than getting his cash back and dumping the Apple platform really has given none of us any information to decide whether this is a major problem or a simple case of a DOA machine.

Let him cool it off, he is just pissed since he had high expectations of his new PB and got a DOA so he is not impressed. First time user with mixed feelings that is all. :rolleyes:

Or he probably requires the money for some other urgent mater. Who knows, its like saying Windows has a virus out of the box and now I am not going to use it anymore. If you got the humour in it all then good for you if you did not, (Windows OS is a virus). ;) :)

ibooker
Oct 20, 2005, 11:10 PM
2 posts by the same guy:

"Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive"

"Hey does anybody know what time and were in NYC....This is going to be My secound powerbook!!!!!!!!!!!"

radiantm3
Oct 20, 2005, 11:38 PM
2 posts by the same guy:

"Today I got mine first mac, powerbook g4 15" 512MB RM 80GB Harddrive"

"Hey does anybody know what time and were in NYC....This is going to be My secound powerbook!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yea, he seems to contradict himself a lot. :confused:

Hey Im new to these Formus and to Mac, I been a Mac user for about 2 years now. .

tveric
Oct 21, 2005, 12:22 AM
So go ahead and and make fun off me, we see who laughing after letter

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm laughing NOW.

Bad_JuJu
Oct 21, 2005, 12:27 AM
Whenever you buy a "first edition" of a product you run that risk - so chill out. Apple makes good stuff - and they're replacing your system ------ my Mini has been rock solid from day one ---- and I just ordered a new iMac --- I'm living large and dangerously :eek:

BWhaler
Oct 21, 2005, 03:17 AM
oh, for the love of god, grow up.

I am sorry you got a bad machine. We all feel for you. But you are mature enough to understand when you make millions of units of ANYTHING, there will be mistakes.

It's called the defect rate, and every manufacturer on the planet has one.

Just call Apple and they'll get you a brand new one. You don't need to act all tough or pissed off. Just call and say your Mac is defective and they'll send you a new one.

It really isn't that big of a deal, and there is no point coming here complaining about it. It's a waste of everyone's time.

aussie_geek
Oct 21, 2005, 04:12 AM
DOA..

Call Apple..

New one sent, old one sent back...

Nuf said - move along...move along

aussie_geek

Deepdale
Oct 21, 2005, 04:28 AM
All that any respectable company can do in such a situation is to readily acknowledge the problem, stand behind their products and replace defective units in a timely manner. They do not offer compensation for emotional turmoil, disappointment nor time spent in preparing letters, making phone calls or visiting their retail outlets. You will be made whole again and have plenty of time to enjoy your computer.

MacMan22
Oct 21, 2005, 04:51 AM
(OS X comes with a built in spellchecker BTW). ;)

How do you get that to work when typing in a thread like this?

redAPPLE
Oct 21, 2005, 04:53 AM
my 0,02 €. :D

i also believe it sucks for a switcher (the OP was a switcher, right?) to get the first Apple machine and it is DOA.

i understand him for posting here and informing us, that there might be a possible issue with the new pb screens.

but posting in an Apple-friendly rumors etc. community and ranting that our beloved company is *****ty is not appropriate.

i would have written, that "i am pissed right now, and sorry for the rant or something..."

if i weren't in a good mood today, i would also pull the poster down from his high chair and tell him, what's up.

radiantm3
Oct 21, 2005, 05:17 AM
How do you get that to work when typing in a thread like this?

right (control) click in the text box and select Spellng/ "Check Spelling as you type"...

AP_piano295
Oct 21, 2005, 05:42 AM

One thing that I have noticed about fellow mac users is that whenever someone brings up a flaw or defect in what Apple is doing, they immeditatley look for spelling mistakes. They just look for any excuse at all to dismiss the bigger issue at hand.

Have any of you ever stopped and thought that maybe, just maybe, english isnt this users first language? Perhaps he (or anyone else for that matter that you find it necessary to humilate for poor grammer/spelling) didnt get the same education that you did growing up? Couldnt afford college? Born with a birth defect that affected learning ability?

Stop being such grouchy computer nerds and work towards a solution of the problem. Dont work at making a person feel so uncomfortable and ruin what may already be a suffering amount of self confidence.

Grow to other peoples cultures and accept them for who they are. If I walked around manhattan and bitched and moaned at every guy who came up to me trying to sell me a cd and said something along the lines of 'Sorry, but I cant buy this from you because your speaking differently than I do' - well that just wouldnt make for a very nice place to live, now would it?

And I dont smell BS at all, I smell someone leaving because of being made to feel so uncomfortable.

How old are you guys? Can ya'll just grow up?

I agree when you get them mad apple people are the worlds greatest spell checkers.

AP_piano295
Oct 21, 2005, 05:45 AM
Dont any of you understand why this poster is angry. Its not simply that his computer was faulty its that apple foresaw this problem and expected it and never did a thing about it even though theyve been putting off uptates for the better part of a year.

radiantm3
Oct 21, 2005, 05:51 AM
Dont any of you understand why this poster is angry. Its not simply that his computer was faulty its that apple foresaw this problem and expected it and never did a thing about it even though theyve been putting off uptates for the better part of a year.
I would be pissed too. I'd through my fit and let it all out, but I wouldn't dismiss a whole operating system because of it.

redAPPLE
Oct 21, 2005, 06:29 AM

you mean UPDATES *j/k*

and imo, yes we don't understand why the poster is angry. i believe Apple did not foresee this problem. i would wait for more people to complain and then it would be clear, that it is a problem that has to be issued. and not when one guy raises his voice and starts "making noise".

sandmann41
Oct 21, 2005, 06:31 AM
I've used mine for about 16 hours now with no issues at all.

MacDawg
Oct 21, 2005, 06:37 AM
I knew a guy who bought a new Honda Prelude and the engine blew on the way home. Stuff happens. $2,000 is a lot of money, but you aren't out the money, I mean you didn't lose the money.

Sure it sucks, we all understand that. All of us have probably been frustrated and disappointed with computer stuff, most of us are geeks at heart.

But it will pass.

I'm sure Dell never sends out a notebook that doesn't work right. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof – Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

gwuMACaddict
Oct 21, 2005, 06:39 AM
i'd send it back and get a dell

eva01
Oct 21, 2005, 07:25 AM
hmmm oh well :/

i bought an iBook and it failed twice at college, once before finals and once before midterms. Oh well i said these things happen, so i brought it back to the Apple Store i bought it at and i made them buy back my iBook and then i bought my old powerbook with it.

Someone here seems to have gotten a little overly pissed off over not such a big deal. These things happen, live with it, and no one can say any crap about my post because the same thing happened to me. Don't make no stupid general statement about Mac users protecting apple no matter what.

Crap happens deal with it, stop crying all over your self.

riciad
Oct 21, 2005, 07:50 AM
Slightly off-topic, as not Powerbook related, but I've had Apples now for 15 years and never had any problem, software or hardware, aside from crashes related to lack of memory, until a few weeks ago when my nearly year old 20" imac's screen started going weird.
Figuring it was the logic board issue, I contacted my closest AAService Provider, (no Apple Store in Ireland), he ordered the part from Apple and e-mailed me when it arrived.
I drove up to him the next day, he replaced the logic board and I was on my way home an hour later in time to finish a rush job needed that evening.

Ryan T.
Oct 21, 2005, 07:54 AM
Um, I really doubt any sort of major laptop manufacturer would tell you that you're "SOL" if your screen died a few hours after buying it. Apple isn't the only company with a standard warranty, ya know.

risc
Oct 21, 2005, 08:28 AM

Says who? We have 1 unverified account of Apple admitting there is a problem with the new PowerBook line, this hasn't been confirmed by 1 single other post let alone Apple. The OP is angry because he bought a DOA machine and Apple agreed to replace it, that wasn't good enough for him he's decided to get his money back and give up on Apple hardware. Nothing here suggests there is a problem with the PowerBook range, why don't we all just wait and see what happens rather than assuming the new high resolution screens are all faulty? :rolleyes:

MacDawg
Oct 21, 2005, 08:32 AM

Alright, grab your axes, pitchforks and torches fellows, were heading off to the Silicon Valley castle! Whose with me?

Abstract
Oct 21, 2005, 08:47 AM

Yeah, I suggest you call the proper authorities about this. Phone them up and tell them that Apple sent you a dud computer, and quickly decided to send you a replacement computer immediately. Tell them they even had the gall to say "Sorry" to you, those smug little b****es.

We usually take news about flaws and defects in Apple's products quite well. In fact, we're usually the first people to say, "This should be fixed immediately" and then sympathize.

We're poking fun at his weakness because he's a bit "off."

aristobrat
Oct 21, 2005, 09:37 AM
From reading other posts from the OP, it appears that he's a film student.

If his patience in general is indicative of his posts in this thread, here's hoping that he's studying to be a director. :)

obeygiant
Oct 21, 2005, 10:14 AM
From reading other posts from the OP, it appears that he's a film student.

If his patience in general is indicative of his posts in this thread, here's hoping that he's studying to be a director. :)

"the actor didnt get it right on the first take? fire him! I paid 2000 for this actor and he fail. actor sux. suicide"

*dramatic music hit*

Eevee
Oct 21, 2005, 11:16 AM
Alright, grab your axes, pitchforks and torches fellows, were heading off to the Silicon Valley castle! Whose with me?

I'm with you MacDawg :D

weg
Oct 21, 2005, 11:17 AM

Calm down.. the last Powerbook I ordered at the Apple Online Store came DOA (the display just remained black). It took them over two weeks to ship a new one (with a dead pixel), and that after I had already waited 3 weeks for the dead one..
I bought the next Powerbook in a local store (the one mentioned above was stolen), where I was able to check the display before I bought it...
**** happens.. but you'll get over it

Eevee
Oct 21, 2005, 11:20 AM
From the other thread regarding new 15 & 17 " PBs, it seems there's no serious problems (including the screen). So, it's good that Apple is replacing the DOA item for you. Let us know how this one works.

tjlazer
Oct 21, 2005, 11:56 AM
To the OP, you have to realize that what happened to you, will happen from ANY laptop manufacturer!!! This is a fact. As other said, in IT (Information Technology) and electronics, there is a small percentage of products that fail. It is not Apple's fault. They are great to deal with and they are sending you another new unit. Be glad, most companies will send you a REFURNISHED unit!!! Apple kicks arse.

javiercr
Oct 21, 2005, 12:19 PM
My dell D600 breaks every 3 months and my company has to give me a new one :eek: total pain, data loss, a day where I can't work, stress stress :confused: a bit off topic, but I kind of got into complaining mood :p

Spidey79
Oct 21, 2005, 12:38 PM
OK so that Spider is back in the neighborhood. I have been absent for a long time. I shouldn't be typing this because I have a midterm in ninety minutes. Yet, I am on the mac forum.. Tsk tsk... Haha, I was like this last quarter... Oh well, either way... I bought my ibook and it has been flawless. I bought a custom built pc a year ago and the power cycle on my mobo has been out of tune since then. That crap made me spend about 400 dolalrs because other things kept dying... New antec power supply, nic, new case, etc etc. My ibook is so sweet because it is a mac. I have not touched in a long time, but since i purchased it in May I cannot justify purchasing a Powerbook. Hahaha. I am going to wait for the rev. b of the mactels. I wanted to say all of this because I am bored and dreading my midterm. Nothing is perfect and there will always be errors mi amigo. It is about giving it a second chance and trust me, you will never go back after it. Everyone needs a second chance my friend. Dale la oportunidad a la computador portatil. Vas haber que te va sorprender. Si no quieres gastar tanto diner, comprate el Ibook que esta bueno, bonito, y barato. No te preocupes de tu Ingles, mi Español es perfecto tampoco. Mis two centanvos.

chefonthegony
Oct 21, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hey everyone

I will like to say sorry to Apple And MacRumors, I was very angry and I made it out to be bigger then it was. . . The only reason I was so piss was because what apple care told me, about the screen on the new powerbooks 15" & 17". . .. I would like to tell everyone that apple called me today and has upgrade my system to a 17" and has sent it out. . . So they say that I will get the new computer tomorrow or Monday. . ..I tould them that I this wanted money back, but they did a good job changing my mine. . .. So I quess I can stick with Apple. .. Im really sorry and hope that I can be a part of the family out Apple and MacRumors... I will let you guys know how my new 17" is when I get it. Thanks you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

nylon
Oct 21, 2005, 03:23 PM
I think Apple has excellent warranty service and they really take good care of their customers. With high-tech electronics everyone is bound to get a lemon once in a while. However, Apple is not the only one with excellent warranty service. Thinkpads have warranty service second to no one. I have a T40 which I purchased for $1500 and it came with a 3 year worldwide warranty. I was in Germany when my hard drive went. I called IBM and someone was in my hotel that evening to replace the drive.

risc
Oct 21, 2005, 03:49 PM
...I would like to tell everyone that apple called me today and has upgrade my system to a 17"...

I guess Apple don't suck then?

eva01
Oct 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
I guess Apple don't suck then?

damn risc we still protecting our goods even after an update.

Eevee
Oct 21, 2005, 04:02 PM
Cool,

Now you have a 17" brand new PB! Believe me, you will love it! Keep us posted

Tommy Wasabi
Oct 21, 2005, 07:07 PM
hey,

...Then after 5 min of that it went dark, nothing know pic only sound. . I was scared so I called apple care and they didn't know what to tell me.. . So they conect me to the next level, and they told me that they was worry of this happing on the 15 and 17 because of the higher sceen Res, I was like what "this didn't make sense". .

Bought a iMac 17". After 2 days the monitor went bad - since I purchased it at the Apple Store in Chicago, I returned it and they GAVE ME A NEW ONE right on the spot. Best reason to buy at an Apple store if you ask me.

loveusingmac
Oct 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
I just got my 15" powerbook today, and it runs perfectly.....no problem on the screen...

chefonthegony
Nov 8, 2005, 12:58 PM
i was the first to post a problem with the screen and every told me I was making up story, but i quess i was right everyone is having issues with thier pb. . They sent me a new one and it came with the same problem and I got my money today. . . Sorry apple you lost a new member

jeremy.king
Nov 8, 2005, 01:09 PM

grammar :eek: ;) :D

risc
Nov 8, 2005, 02:08 PM
i was the first to post a problem with the screen and every told me I was making up story, but i quess i was right everyone is having issues with thier pb. . They sent me a new one and it came with the same problem and I got my money today. . . Sorry apple you lost a new member

I know plenty of people with the new PowerBooks, and none of them are having problems... but as they said in the 70s "Keep on trollin'" - or was that truckin'?

As for you gettting your money back well I am glad it worked out for you.

aristobrat
Nov 8, 2005, 02:17 PM
I know plenty of people with the new PowerBooks, and none of them are having problems... but as they said in the 70s "Keep on trollin'" - or was that truckin'?
My guess is that the hardware is likely to consistantly have the issue, .. it's the user that's the variable. i.e. what irritates the hell out of some doesn't bother others

MacTruck
Nov 8, 2005, 02:21 PM

I don't know of a single company that would tell you that. He just got it.

MacTruck
Nov 8, 2005, 02:23 PM
I have had screen issues with every powerbook I have ever had Except my 1.67ghz G4 that I have now.

risc
My guess is that the hardware is likely to consistantly have the issue, .. it's the user that's the variable. i.e. what irritates the hell out of some doesn't bother others

LOL - so you are saying some users can't tell that the screen turns black and there is no picture? The OP had a DOA machine, he is raving on like everyone has them I'm sorry but that is complete BS. :rolleyes:

csubear
I'm with you MacDawg :D

I'll bring my g3 ibook for the catapult ;)

Nuc
Nov 8, 2005, 02:47 PM
grammar :eek: ;) :D
You know the funny thing is, I always misspell this word, drives me nuts because I know there are 2 a's... :D

Note to self: always slow down when typing this word and have spell check on!

Nuc

aristobrat
Nov 8, 2005, 03:00 PM
LOL - so you are saying some users can't tell that the screen turns black and there is no picture? The OP had a DOA machine, he is raving on like everyone has them I'm sorry but that is complete BS. :rolleyes:
Ack, my bad. :eek:

I thought this was one of the bazillion "my 15" screen has lines that I can see but Apple says is still within their specs" threads that I'm subscribed to. :rolleyes: :D

jaduffy108
Nov 8, 2005, 03:34 PM

>>>So... Apple isn't responsible for QC? "Most other companies"...would NOT tell anyone they're SOL. Pure MacFUD. Every Apple box *should* be tested before it leaves for the customer. Good QC actually saves Apple $$ in the long run... and builds customer trust. Apple QC is going downhill as of late...iPods, over heating iMacs, etc, etc. hmmmm. Seems to have started with the massive success of the iPod. Makes me wonder if Apple is ready to play with the big boys in terms of volume...(Dell, HP,etc). Hopefully this problem isn't widespread...too early to tell....

airkarol
Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 PM
Theres nothing wrong, its just a small glitch, if they are willing to fix it for you, don't complain.

Greenone
Nov 14, 2005, 02:42 PM
Off topic sort of, but in general, I find it interesting how few people can spell/write on forums IN GENERAL. Now of course I recognize that the world's a big melting pot and English isn't everyone's native tongue, and I appreciate that (wouldn't want it to be). I also know I make lots of mistakes too. It's just interesting to me is all...how many people make spelling mistakes constantly. I always think of Mac people as smarter ;) so I was especially surprised to see so many mistakes on this forum!

Ha ha ha I'm so gonna get flamed - is that the term?! Seriously though - I'm not trying to cause problems - I just wonder if others have noticed this or if I'm some sort of anal freak for noticing. BTW, I'm a highschool drop-out and I'm not a particularly smart person (in fact am downright stupid when it comes to technology/computers, as well as math)!!

Like Jerry Springer - I leave you with one final thought (gross - can't stand him actually!): anyone out there heard of Howard Gardner? He's written many books on his theory of multiple intelligences. E.g. he believes that some people are exceptional at language arts but are terrible in other subjects, while others have strengths in other subjects (say math or music - even at genious level) but don't do so well in other areas. In short, I'm wondering if a lot of techno people are brilliant in their ways but not so much in the language arts.

Ok - come and get me! :o

stevep
Nov 14, 2005, 03:22 PM
.......even at genious level..........

shouldn't that be 'genius'........
:D

MacTruck
Nov 14, 2005, 03:36 PM
Off topic sort of, but in general, I find it interesting how few people can spell/write on forums IN GENERAL. Now of course I recognize that the world's a big melting pot and English isn't everyone's native tongue, and I appreciate that (wouldn't want it to be). I also know I make lots of mistakes too. It's just interesting to me is all...how many people make spelling mistakes constantly. I always think of Mac people as smarter ;) so I was especially surprised to see so many mistakes on this forum!

Ha ha ha I'm so gonna get flamed - is that the term?! Seriously though - I'm not trying to cause problems - I just wonder if others have noticed this or if I'm some sort of anal freak for noticing. BTW, I'm a highschool drop-out and I'm not a particularly smart person (in fact am downright stupid when it comes to technology/computers, as well as math)!!

Like Jerry Springer - I leave you with one final thought (gross - can't stand him actually!): anyone out there heard of Howard Gardner? He's written many books on his theory of multiple intelligences. E.g. he believes that some people are exceptional at language arts but are terrible in other subjects, while others have strengths in other subjects (say math or music - even at genious level) but don't do so well in other areas. In short, I'm wondering if a lot of techno people are brilliant in their ways but not so much in the language arts.

wat da hek iz dis gi tawkin abowt?

MacTruck
Nov 14, 2005, 03:37 PM

LOL!!!

Greenone
Nov 14, 2005, 03:59 PM

BA HA HA HA see what I'm talking about? I told you I'm no smarty pants! :rolleyes: :D

And I aint a gi, I's a gurl.

floyde
Nov 14, 2005, 04:02 PM
OMG, now I'm a bit freaked out. My screen did some wild flickering the other day. I thought it was a buggy Linux video driver... I just shut it down, rebooted, and all was well again. Didn't think much of it at the time. I just hope it doesn't die after the warranty expires :(

Greenone
Nov 14, 2005, 04:04 PM
OMG, now I'm a bit freaked out. My screen did some wild flickering the other day. I thought it was a buggy Linux video driver... I just shut it down, rebooted, and all was well again. Didn't think much of it at the time. I just hope it doesn't die after the warranty expires :(

Yikes! The other night I watched a whole movie on my PB for the first time and there were a couple of flicker moments which have me a bit concerned. I might try another one tonight and hope it was just a bad dvd...

desenso
Nov 14, 2005, 04:36 PM

"Most other companies"? Who are you buying computers from - I don't know a single company that wouldn't cover this under warranty. And even if they didn't, there would be a class action lawsuit by the time you realized there was a problem.

:rolleyes:

I'm an Apple fan, don't get me wrong, but there's really no defending this kind of poor quality.

generik
Nov 14, 2005, 05:18 PM
All that any respectable company can do in such a situation is to readily acknowledge the problem, stand behind their products and replace defective units in a timely manner. They do not offer compensation for emotional turmoil, disappointment nor time spent in preparing letters, making phone calls or visiting their retail outlets. You will be made whole again and have plenty of time to enjoy your computer.

Eh.. since when was the last time Apple acknowledged *any* problems?

I still heard nothing about the horizontal lines issue nor the iPod Nano case. And oh yeah, maybe you might want to mention the time when Apple did acknowledge the dud PM 1.8Ghz towers.... when all of them are way past warranty and discontinued.

Anyway if you look it up on support it is still listed as unresolved.

Way to go AAPL!

Temujin
Nov 14, 2005, 05:47 PM
My new 15” PB still works great, has done so for the last 3 weeks.

No faulty screen
No dents
No wobbly chassis

Nice battery, not 6 but 4 hours.

Had an airport issue after the 10.4.3 update but got fixed 2 days later