Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hey guys!

At the risk of setting off the OCD haters, I have a quick question.

I just got my Macbook Air back from repair (almost everything replaced) and when closed, there is a few milimeters of extra gap on the left side. You can press it down with your finger to sit flush against the body but once you take it off it goes right back up. On the right side however everything is perfect.

Should I try to bend it back somehow? Or maybe place some heavy books on it overnight and see if that helps?

Thanks!

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Where did you get it repaired? Apple store? If so, take it back! Or else just put some books on it and leave it a while...

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I had it repaired in an Apple Store, and they almost completely replaced it. I feel like I don't want to bother them with such a relatively small cosmetic issue when they were kind enough to almost completely replace my Macbook Air for free.

Everything is spotless apart from that.

Do you think the book trick will work?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I doubt if the book trick will work. If it's bothering you, by all means take it back and ask politely.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Take it back... I took my MBA in for the screen being slightly off on the top (about 1mm off) and they ordered in a new screen. I hadn't dropped it mind you and it was brand new but if they've just repaired it, it should be in really good condition...

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I doubt if the book trick will work. If it's bothering you, by all means take it back and ask politely.

I just might, I'd just feel so silly complaining over a few millimeters of extra room on one side. Besides, maybe I'll have a repair with an even worse issue this time around?

Apparently this gap seems pretty common, perhaps I'm just making things bigger in my head?

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
They dont count how many times you enter the store you know :) And they wont treat it as a real repair, just a tweaking... They'll take it in for a few mins and be done with it... You pay a premium for Apple products for a reason!

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
They dont count how many times you enter the store you know :) And they wont treat it as a real repair, just a tweaking... They'll take it in for a few mins and be done with it... You pay a premium for Apple products for a reason!

I've managed to get the same Genius guy for my last three repairs (had bad luck with faulty motherboards) :p

I'll try to the call the store tomorrow and ask if there's anything they can do, otherwise I might just learn to live with it.

Thanks!

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I've managed to get the same Genius guy for my last three repairs (had bad luck with faulty motherboards) :p

I'll try to the call the store tomorrow and ask if there's anything they can do, otherwise I might just learn to live with it.

Thanks!

If you really dont want the same guy, go to a different Apple store :) And also, dint just live with it, you just got it repaired for goodness sake... If you got a car repaired but then one of the doors was dented, would you just live with it?

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
If you really dont want the same guy, go to a different Apple store :) And also, dint just live with it, you just got it repaired for goodness sake... If you got a car repaired but then one of the doors was dented, would you just live with it?

Unfortunately there's only one Apple store in Sweden, and they've really gone over and beyond in terms of replacing my Macbook Air. I will call them Monday and ask them if there's anything they can do about the gap.

Thanks for the help!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is Apple's fault that they market their products to you as an fine object of desire, and price$$ to match, so why feel bad? They should pick me up and drop me back off like if am taking in my Lexus in for service, and fresh French Croissant while I wait.

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Just to clarify, neither of you guys have a similar issue where the lid isn't evenly flush against the body?

Mind you mine is only a few millimeters off.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
I have and they ordered a new screen for me (but that was because the rubber on the outside was coming off). The guy at the genius bar today told me they could just adjust some screws and fix it

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Just to clarify, neither of you guys have a similar issue where the lid isn't evenly flush against the body?

Not only that, there is been posts of Airs not sitting flush on a flat surface and lids not aligned (sideways) perfectly with the body.

Up to u whether u want to make the trip.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
The screen should be the same on both sides. I wouldn't try and bend it back… you should probably send it back to Apple… especially if the problem wasn't there before.

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on this. Apparently this is something that's present on most, if not all Macbook Airs.

I did some googling and in all reviews I could find there was a slightly bigger gap on the side with the headphone hack than the one with the SD card slot.

Thanks for everyones replies!

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Hey guys, just wanted to update you on this. Apparently this is something that's present on most, if not all Macbook Airs.

I did some googling and in all reviews I could find there was a slightly bigger gap on the side with the headphone hack than the one with the SD card slot.

Thanks for everyones replies!

Wow! I didn't know that but I guess you learn something new every day! You are most welcome and I hope that your new MBA is good to you!

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Is Apple's fault that they market their products to you as an fine object of desire, and price$$ to match, so why feel bad? They should pick me up and drop me back off like if am taking in my Lexus in for service, and fresh French Croissant while I wait.

If Apple followed your excellent suggestion, they'd run the risk of increased sales & revenue :)

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
For what Apple charges for their products, they have to be better than the other guy. I would take it back.

It's probably a slight hinge alignment.

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
For what Apple charges for their products, they have to be better than the other guy. I would take it back.

It's probably a slight hinge alignment.

Went there today and ALL Macbook Air display models exhibited this "problem". I also googled to check reviews and this was present in all of their pictures. I think I'll live with it, or take it in and see if they can just tweak it somehow without exchanging anything.

I can't be bothered to give it away again for another week as it's been in there 3 times already due to logic board frying.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Went there today and ALL Macbook Air display models exhibited this "problem". I also googled to check reviews and this was present in all of their pictures. I think I'll live with it, or take it in and see if they can just tweak it somehow without exchanging anything.

I can't be bothered to give it away again for another week as it's been in there 3 times already due to logic board frying.

My MBA does not exhibit this "problem", the screen lays flat against the body.

stroemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
My MBA does not exhibit this "problem", the screen lays flat against the body.

Yeah, it's hard to explain, it's definitely flat against the body, there's just somewhat of a bigger gap on one side than on the other on the 2012 models. You can't really see it unless you look really hard, so I'd say it's not so much of a problem as an OCD trigger :p

I checked every display model and it was present in all 13", and you can see it in the pictures of all reviews I've found on Google so far.

I feel pretty ridiculous making a thread about it when it's really a non-issue and "standard" or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.