PDA

View Full Version : Connect ibook G4 to pc screen (VGA)

rjcalifornia
Apr 6, 2013, 02:42 PM
How can I connect an iBook G4 to a pc monitor? I bought this beautiful LED screen for my desktop pc and xbox 360 but I was wondering if it was possible to connect it to my ibook?

Thanks!

simsaladimbamba
Apr 6, 2013, 02:44 PM
You need a Mini VGA to VGA adapter, available via eBay and possibly MonoPrice.
Then you also need something like Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15401/screen-spanning-doctor), as the iBook can only mirror the internal display to the external display, which will only get you 1024 x 768 pixel on the external display.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_Video_Out/MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_VGA.png

CptSky
Apr 6, 2013, 02:49 PM
Any Mini-VGA to VGA adapter should do the job.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mini-VGA-VGA-Display-Adapter/dp/B000068BSC

Edit. Already answered by simsaladimbamba...

rjcalifornia
Apr 6, 2013, 02:51 PM
Sweet! I'm gonna check on Monday or may be today in the computer store!

Thanks!

simsaladimbamba
Apr 6, 2013, 02:55 PM
Sweet! I'm gonna check on Monday or may be today in the computer store!

Thanks!

You will have more luck on Amazon or eBay as CptSky linked to as in a physical store. Those iBooks have been out of productions since 2006, you will hardly find any old adapters like the Mini VGA to VGA one in a computer store, unless it is a really, really good sorted store still selling old stuff.

rjcalifornia
Apr 6, 2013, 03:00 PM
You will have more luck on Amazon or eBay as CptSky linked to as in a physical store. Those iBooks have been out of productions since 2006, you will hardly find any old adapters like the Mini VGA to VGA one in a computer store, unless it is a really, really good sorted store still selling old stuff.

It is a really, really good sorted store still selling old stuffs... Even PC-133 Mhz RAM memories...

simsaladimbamba
Apr 6, 2013, 03:02 PM
It is a really, really good sorted store still selling old stuffs... Even PC-133 Mhz RAM memories...

Then good luck, though maybe a telephone call to the store to confirm might do the trick too, as the RAM is used more than such adapter. I am just concerned, as I had the same iBook (or a G4 at least) and in 2005 or 2006 had problems finding such adapter in a 200,000 people city.

rjcalifornia
Apr 6, 2013, 03:22 PM
Then good luck, though maybe a telephone call to the store to confirm might do the trick too, as the RAM is used more than such adapter. I am just concerned, as I had the same iBook (or a G4 at least) and in 2005 or 2006 had problems finding such adapter in a 200,000 people city.

Just called, they have one, although I think they have for other reasons, they asked me if I wanted to connect my pc to a projector lol

I live in a 218,410 people city ;)

simsaladimbamba
Apr 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
Just called, they have one, although I think they have for other reasons, they asked me if I wanted to connect my pc to a projector lol

I live in a 218,410 people city ;)

WTHF? Congrats, hopefully it is a working one. And it is probably the 18,410 more people, though the town I was in was a purely white one, with all its cocaine and, ahem, snow.