Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toomuchstereo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I'm about to pick up a new 12" powerbook, and can't find any data on what resolution it will run in extended desktop. So my question is if it will run my 20" ACD at native resolution?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Your 12" pb should run 20" or 23" ACD at the native resolutions. You can do so in the screen spanning mode or clam shell mode. My 12" PB is set up in the clam shell mode with a 20" ACD as 20" screen is more than enough. PB's graphic card is powerful enough to run either ACDs. But, no 30" though.

toomuchstereo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Clam shell mode is with the screen shut right? And are these features built in to Tiger?

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2005
toomuchstereo said:
Clam shell mode is with the screen shut right? And are these features built in to Tiger?

Yes, I use mine in clamshell mode all the time, since for the next few months I don't need portability.

I actually ahve a dell24fpw connected to it. Close the lid then press any mouse or keyboard connected to the laptop and the ext. monitor will become the main display.

toomuchstereo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Thanks alot, i appreciate your support, and the order is in with apple can't wait. Should be great to help me with college, nice big monitor at home and small 12" on the road.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Powerbook Clamshell Question

Can I run my 12" Powerbook (recent vintage) just for itunes, with either speakers or headphones, with the screen shut? It seems to go to sleep when I try it.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have a 12" PowerBook and an external display as well, works beautifully. I love being able to take my PowerBook with me, but I can also have the feel of a desktop when I'm at home.

Sososowhat, your PB won't run with the lid closed unless it's hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, it will just go to sleep.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
you have to have the PB plugged in witht he charger and a screen plugged in as well. Use your keyboard or mouse to wake it up and then the computer will come out of sleep and you can use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.