PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Shield For 5G

davefan6435
Oct 24, 2005, 06:25 PM
Just to let everyone know I finally got my Invisble Shield with my black 30 gig video ipod today. Its a real pain to put on but its definitly worth it and it looks very good on the back so far. I still need to put the front but other than that its going great. I just followed the instructions on this site http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2005/GearNGadgets/September2005/RDMGG_InvisibleShieldFirstLook.htm There really good. If anyone has any questions about this product I'd be more than happy to help you out.

pdpfilms
Oct 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Just to let everyone know I finally got my Invisble Shield with my black 30 gig video ipod today. Its a real pain to put on but its definitly worth it and it looks very good on the back so far. I still need to put the front but other than that its going great. I just followed the instructions on this site http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2005/GearNGadgets/September2005/RDMGG_InvisibleShieldFirstLook.htm There really good. If anyone has any questions about this product I'd be more than happy to help you out.
This thing looks amazing.. i can't wait to get mine on!

noelister
Oct 24, 2005, 06:58 PM

That is good to hear! When did you order yours and from where? I ordered mine last week. However, I still need to check my mail today (still in class!)

Thanks!

mulletman13
Oct 24, 2005, 07:17 PM
Hey there,

How long did it take to ship yours out? I ordered mine last Friday and I havent gotten an email and on the website it doesnt say it shipped at all :(

The worst problem is that I have my iPod, but don't want to take it out and use it at all ( and I won't until my invisibleshield gets in :( )

Thanks!

davefan6435
Oct 24, 2005, 07:41 PM
I ordered mine on October 18. Everytime I checked the status page at invisibleshield.com it would say in progress. Don't expect to get a shipping number or any notice about it shipping. At least I didn't. I was very suprised when it showed up in the mail today. It will more than likely be in a regular envelope. Hopefully that answers most of your questions.

Tommyg117
Oct 24, 2005, 07:47 PM
I just ordered one. I think I will only put it on the front. I dont' think I will put it on the click wheel either, I feel like air will get trapped every time the click wheel moves! I chose the priority mail, hopefully it really does come in 2-3 days! Then I can FINALLY use my iPod

johnbro23
Oct 24, 2005, 07:52 PM
Is this thing really worth it? I actually kind of like the case Apple provides, so I don't know how I can justify $25. Although, the screen does scratch extremely easily.

Would this give full protection to the iPod if it were in your pocket with the earbuds? I find that hard to beleive that it could protect the iPod from the earbud headphones in the same pocket.

pdpfilms
Oct 24, 2005, 07:55 PM
Is this thing really worth it? I actually kind of like the case Apple provides, so I don't know how I can justify $25. Although, the screen does scratch extremely easily.

Would this give full protection to the iPod if it were in your pocket with the earbuds? I find that hard to beleive that it could protect the iPod from the earbud headphones in the same pocket.

Yeah, it'll protect your iPod. Check this out....

http://www.theinvisibleshield.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=8

...all I can say is STOP...PLEASE!

TyleRomeo
Oct 24, 2005, 07:56 PM

keep in your pocket with earbuds and razor blades and it wont scratch. I can't wait to get mine

puckhead193
Oct 24, 2005, 07:59 PM
anyone have it, i want to know how easy/hard it is to apply and to remove. I read the review on rainy day, but i wanted someone else's opinion.
does anyone know of a store that carries it.

johnbro23
Oct 24, 2005, 08:09 PM
Wow, I don't think I've been sold that fast on anything before. This thing protects like a case, but still shows off the iPod. Wow.

I just placed my order and got free shipping. How long will it take to ship? How can I track my order?

mulletman13
Oct 24, 2005, 08:11 PM
Heh, same with me John... I was sold on the product within 2 mins of seeing it too... it is simply amazing

mjstew33
Oct 24, 2005, 08:23 PM
Looks awesome. If I get a nano, I'm so getting this :D

iDM
Oct 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
Well it sounds like all of you love your invisibleshied but i was wondering if anyone has received one of the much cheaper and equally invisible martin fields cover and if it is comparable in quality to the invisible shield. I know this thing is bomb/gamma ray run proof but 24.95 seems so much if i can get the martin shields case for 10 bucks. Ideas?

mulletman13
Oct 24, 2005, 08:24 PM
Can somebody that has it post some pictures of it on? I have some webspace if thats a problem, but I'd just love to see some pictures of it on the front and back :)

The marin shields case seems like its nice as well, and gives it a glossy finish, but I'm not totally sure how well/durable it is. Also I think it only covers the front of the iPod as opposed to the entire thing with invisibleshield. I think i'll steer my friend to the martin fields cover though to see it first hand.

davefan6435
Oct 24, 2005, 09:09 PM
i'd be happy to post some pics if i can get a hold of one of my friends digital cameras. Ill see what I can do.

SAukland
Oct 24, 2005, 11:40 PM
I got mine today too, along with my 30gb black ipod. Woot.

I agree, might have to be careful putting it on, but its worth it. I did it about an hour ago on the front and back, and I like how it looks.

I had an iSkin with the iPod, and I agree with the people that wonder why we buy iPods for their size, only to add iTrips and iSkins. Good point, but I'm guilty. Can't really avoid the iTrip, but I'm pretty sick of my iSkin.

So I like that it protects the iPod, and doesn't add bulk. We'll see how it fares after drying and taking the ultimate test... the pocket. :D

johnbro23
Oct 26, 2005, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know how to check if it has shipped or not on their site?

I ordered mine 2 days ago... when do you think I should expect it?

schism7273
Oct 26, 2005, 02:22 PM
I was sold quickly too. I just bought a white 5g and my husband got the black 5g. I am wondering how well it will fit in the JBL OnStage with the shield on. I popped in the 10/15/20GB bracket and the 5G fits perfectly but is snug on front corners. I'm wondering if the Invisible Shield will get worn on those front corners from placing/removing from the OnStage. I guess we'll see.

quackattack
Oct 26, 2005, 03:24 PM
I think that I will have to order one of these, seems really cool. Of course, I will need to get the iPod first!

The only problem I see is that it could be painful to not be able to use my new iPod for couple days after I put on the shield!

I would like to hear more reviews/impressions. Keep em coming!

davefan6435
Oct 26, 2005, 04:03 PM
I would like to point out that it is definitly a good idea to wait. Being as impatient as I am I let it set for about an hour and then I plugged in my ipod to charge and it was frozen so I had to let the battery run down. Then when I got it back on again I synched it with itunes and then it froze up again. But not to worry it works just fine now.

macguymike
Oct 26, 2005, 04:14 PM
The only problem I see is that it could be painful to not be able to use my new iPod for couple days after I put on the shield!

My impression was that you can use the iPod immediately after the shield dries.

pdpfilms
Oct 26, 2005, 04:33 PM
My impression was that you can use the iPod immediately after the shield dries.

...Which, they say, takes 24 hours. Mine looks like it's dry, but i'm gonna be careful just in case. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

mulletman13
Oct 26, 2005, 05:25 PM
Damn.. got mine today and applied it in about a half hour.... I don't think I aligned it straight, and I think I may have misaligned it a little bit... I tried a couple times but I just can't get it perfect... so I settled for as good as I got. After putting it on and having it on for 5 mins or so... does anybody else hope that it will look a lot better when it dries?

Eeeek i'm getting so frightened that it'll look terrible... but I guess I'd rather have it like that than allll scratchy :-D

RBilRamZ
Oct 26, 2005, 06:16 PM
I put mine on my white 30GB. It looks fantastic, you acnt even see it unless you loos at the corner seems. It was a little hard to put on, especially the little tabs. All in all, it seems perfect.
If anybody has tried the cheaper one, i would be curious with your results.

Oh, I called in my order, and paid for overnight shipping ($14), but I got it less than 18 hours later.

ibglowin
Oct 26, 2005, 07:26 PM
http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,3729.htm

These are ALOT easier to apply, no liquid mess, can be peeled off easily and they are CHEAP!

I ordered and applied to my nano a few weeks ago and I just ordered the same for my new 5G iPod.

Konradx
Oct 26, 2005, 10:03 PM
ordered mine on the 25..with regular mail shipping to Canada. I'll post how long it takes once i recieve it.

-Konrad

iDM
Oct 26, 2005, 10:29 PM
I am on day two of not using my ipod because of scratches i ordered an invisibleshield two days ago but i have yet to receive(I guess it would be pretty quick for it to come already). I wanna get this so i can take this thing with me to class, i've had it with my shuffle for anything other then the gym.

puckhead193
Oct 26, 2005, 10:59 PM
any one got any pictures? of it on and applying it....

CalfCanuck
Oct 27, 2005, 12:10 AM
Here's a packet of six different sizes of optical LCD screen protector for $10 that I use for my digital cameras - at least 4 of the 6 sizes (1.6 inch and above should work, for half the price of the "Invisible Shield". So you can replace the screen cover 4 times (or cover 4 nanos).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=307476&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

nomad01
Oct 27, 2005, 12:13 AM
wondering if anyone has received one of the much cheaper and equally invisible martin fields cover and if it is comparable in quality to the invisible shield.

The main differences with the two are that the Martin Fields shield doesn't cover the whole iPod. The sides are exposed.

However, the Martin Fields cover is CRYSTAL clear and doesn't add a that slightly rippled look to the iPod.

I'd say the Invisible Shield offers the most protection but the MF offers the best cosmetic solution.

Has anyone tried removing the Invisible Shield yet? Looks like it might be tricky?

pdpfilms
Oct 27, 2005, 12:18 AM
The main differences with the two are that the Martin Fields shield doesn't cover the whole iPod. The sides are exposed.

However, the Martin Fields cover is CRYSTAL clear and doesn't add a that slightly rippled look to the iPod.

I'd say the Invisible Shield offers the most protection but the MF offers the best cosmetic solution.

Has anyone tried removing the Invisible Shield yet? Looks like it might be tricky?
Not at all... uses the same principle as a fruit roll up. Just Pull 'n Peel!

nomad01
Oct 27, 2005, 12:22 AM
Not at all... uses the same principle as a fruit roll up. Just Pull 'n Peel!

Oh good. So no residues to clean off after it's been on awhile? Great.

pdpfilms
Oct 27, 2005, 12:25 AM
Oh good. So no residues to clean off after it's been on awhile? Great.

...that is, if you pull it off slowly. And if for some reason you get anxious and pull to fast, you can easily remove any residue with GooGone without damaging the surface.

vhardono
Oct 27, 2005, 01:01 AM
It looks great on iPod nano, but is there any version or my 4th Gen iPod?? How much is the price and where I can get it in Indonesia or Singapore?

balamw
Oct 27, 2005, 02:46 AM
the Martin Fields cover is CRYSTAL clear and doesn't add a that slightly rippled look to the iPod.
Just received a few MF overlaysI ordered though the 5G specific one is on its way. A few random comments.

The generic 2.5" shield it is just a little too small to cover the 5G's display area. :( I was planning to use this as an interim solution until the 5G protectors were in stock, they were earlier today and I placed my order.

I also bought and applied one to my digital camera, and even though the size seems perfect, there appears to be a slight difference in adhesion near the edge of the protector, like it's not quite as well stuck down there. :confused:

The stiffness of the protector made it a snap to apply compared to other PDA protectors I have used before.

B

Mike Teezie
Oct 27, 2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,3729.htm

These are ALOT easier to apply, no liquid mess, can be peeled off easily and they are CHEAP!

I ordered and applied to my nano a few weeks ago and I just ordered the same for my new 5G iPod.

How do they look once they are on the iPod?

freeny
Oct 27, 2005, 11:40 AM
invisible shield for $25? They've got to be pulling my leg! the thing couldny cost more than $2 to manufacture (and Im being generous). for $12 you can buy palmpilot screen protectors made with the same material and cover your pod 7 times.

snowmoon
Oct 27, 2005, 12:12 PM
invisible shield for $25? They've got to be pulling my leg! the thing couldny cost more than $2 to manufacture (and Im being generous). for $12 you can buy palmpilot screen protectors made with the same material and cover your pod 7 times.

* Lifetime replacemnts
* Precut to cover your iPod
* Covers the WHOLE unit not just the display
* Small volume
* Specialty product

I can also say that the invisible shield is not like every other PDA cover I have seen on the market or used. It does appear to use a different type of materal ( ScotchCal if you are interested in looking it up ).

I have one on order.

macguymike
Oct 27, 2005, 06:56 PM

You know, I hear a lot of people saying "OMG get a PDA cover!"

I would REALLY like to know if any of these people actually a) own an iPod and b) have tried using one on their iPod.

I seriously doubt a PDA cover will stay on my iPod while it's in my pocket, protect my iPod (both sides!) from serious scratches, and still look as good as the pictures I've seen of the InvisibleSHIELD. For $25 I am buying something that should last as long as my iPod does, instead of buying cheap plastic that I'll need to replace eventually... costing me more than $12, and likely more than my one time price of $25 for the IS.

ToddW
Oct 27, 2005, 09:12 PM
after just using finsihing applying my invisible shield, i have got to say that it does offer all ther protection you will need. eventough it was somewhat tricky i would rather get something that i know works then simply just throw some pda covers or whatever on it. you do see a ripple when light shines on it directly but that doesn't bother me. i just wanted something that would work for me for the long run and for extra protection. 25 bucks with a lifetime gurantee is good enought for me to keep my mind at ease.

Ferrence
Oct 28, 2005, 11:08 AM
I have a 60 GB Black iPod. I put the Invisible Shield on the other day, and I highly recommend it. Seriously. Pretty easy to put on, and it works like a champ. Worth the price!!!

I've been carry it (and listening to it) in my coat pocket since putting it on, and there are no scratches and no finger prints. Everyone has been stopping by to see my iPod (because they're thinking of unpgrading from the 4g), and they don't even notice the INVSHD until I mention it to them.

Sure, you can see a texture to it instead of the "glass smooth" look. But, it's not even noticable, and I'd take that over the scratches any day.

I can post photos when I get home, if you're intrerested.

macguymike
Oct 28, 2005, 12:30 PM
Ordered mine last night. I appreciate all these positive reviews. Looking forward to getting mine!

Can anyone post pictures of their 5G with the IS applied?

runninmac
Oct 28, 2005, 09:06 PM
I can post photos when I get home, if you're intrerested.

Oh please do! A few questions...

1.) Does it protect the sides
1.b) If so does it have a pre cut area for the headphone jack and USB cable
2.) Can you still fit it in one of the new docks?

pdpfilms
Oct 28, 2005, 10:21 PM

2.) Can you still fit it in one of the new docks?

Yes, yes, and yes. It's just plain awesome.

macguymike
Oct 28, 2005, 11:31 PM
I ordered my IS last night around 6:30PM, paid for express (overnight) shipping, which includes tracking... and it still has no tracking information on their website tonight.

Is this normal?

I also just went back to double check on their policy... and priority shipping with tracking appears to be $10 less ($4.30 now... I paid $14)!

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

snowmoon
Oct 29, 2005, 09:14 AM
I ordered my IS last night around 6:30PM, paid for express (overnight) shipping, which includes tracking... and it still has no tracking information on their website tonight.

Is this normal?

I also just went back to double check on their policy... and priority shipping with tracking appears to be $10 less ($4.30 now... I paid $14)!

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Overnight shipping != you receive it tomorrow. You have to allow for them to process the order ( and everyone before you ). I ordered mine with expidited shipping on tuesday and got it friday, so it can't take them more than 1 buisness day to turn around orders.

I might add that USPS usually stops picking up new mail at 5-6pm... if you SUBMITTED the order at 6:30 you have to give them time to get and process the order, so at a minimum it would not have shippd out till the next day.

macguymike
Oct 29, 2005, 12:24 PM
Overnight shipping != you receive it tomorrow. You have to allow for them to process the order ( and everyone before you ). I ordered mine with expidited shipping on tuesday and got it friday, so it can't take them more than 1 buisness day to turn around orders.

Just got it. I'll apply it and post photos tomorrow (since nobody else seems to want to) after its dry!

prostuff1
Oct 29, 2005, 01:34 PM
You know, I hear a lot of people saying "OMG get a PDA cover!"

I would REALLY like to know if any of these people actually a) own an iPod and b) have tried using one on their iPod.

I seriously doubt a PDA cover will stay on my iPod while it's in my pocket, protect my iPod (both sides!) from serious scratches, and still look as good as the pictures I've seen of the InvisibleSHIELD. For $25 I am buying something that should last as long as my iPod does, instead of buying cheap plastic that I'll need to replace eventually... costing me more than $12, and likely more than my one time price of $25 for the IS.

I have a 4G iPod and i am and have been using PDA screen protectors on it. While i like the invisible shield and would probably buy it , i wont because my dad had some of the PDA screen protectors laying around. The size he had was perfect for me to put one on the fron and one on the back and protect everything. Except the top and botom which i left open so i could dock it and plug headphones in. They pull of just fine also and leave no marks or residue. All in all, the PDA screen covers worked well and seeing as they were free i cant argue about them not being perfect.

So yes PDA screen covers do work just fine.

solinent
Oct 29, 2005, 03:32 PM
I ordered mine 3 days ago, haven't checked mail as it's a saturday, I'll check on monday and see if it's there, and I'l take some pics too.

powerbook911
Oct 29, 2005, 04:28 PM
Where do you get the Martin Field Screen protectors?

maddav
Oct 29, 2005, 05:40 PM
I ordered mine, but now I've got to order my iPod :D

Plus I live in the UK, so it'll be interesting to see which arrives first, I'll order the iPod on Tuesday. I wonder who'll win??

iDM
Oct 29, 2005, 10:09 PM

I'm not sure what country your in but here is the site....... http://www.overlayplus.com/

P.S. does anyone know how long it takes between order time and when the Invisibleshield actual arrived through there free shipping? I order mine on Tuesday(the same day i got my ipod) and it has been sitting on my desk doing nothing. I know i could take it to work and stuff and that i am just being really anal about it, but i figure why even risk getting it scratched if all i had to do was wait one day to get the cover, and then another day passed, and then another one at this point i just wanna rip the plastic off the front and start using this thing.

kuruptr
Oct 29, 2005, 10:25 PM
I got mine today, ordered wednesday morning with the free shipping. It looks GREAT on the ipod, better than i thought! ****ing pain in the ass to put on though, I am a perfectionist and it took me 1 1/2 hours to do the whole thing. I suggest using the least amount of soap possible..

iDM
Oct 30, 2005, 12:01 AM
I got mine today, ordered wednesday morning with the free shipping. It looks GREAT on the ipod, better than i thought! ****ing pain in the ass to put on though, I am a perfectionist and it took me 1 1/2 hours to do the whole thing. I suggest using the least amount of soap possible..

Damn I ordered a day before you and still no dice. I won't get real mad until i see if it comes Monday. Could it be you are closer to UT then me? I am in PA, what about you?

john_satc
Oct 30, 2005, 07:24 AM

I got one of the covers for the whole of my iPod from there, and it is bloody awful. I spent ages putting it on, thought it looked great. The day after video is impossible to watch because it looks like there is dust all over the screen. I wouldn't bother wasting my money on this rip off. I ordered an invisibleshield, as the one I have is cr*p!

kuruptr
Oct 30, 2005, 09:57 AM
I'm in New York all the way up near canada...

macguymike
Oct 30, 2005, 11:12 AM
My pics are up for those who are interested...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=158393

devilot
Oct 30, 2005, 11:17 AM
I got one of the covers for the whole of my iPod from there, and it is bloody awful. I spent ages putting it on, thought it looked great. The day after video is impossible to watch because it looks like there is dust all over the screen. I wouldn't bother wasting my money on this rip off. I ordered an invisibleshield, as the one I have is cr*p!Wow... I really love the MF shields protector I have on my Nano. You do know that you can get the lint/dust off of it right? It is a washable cover, comes off w/ a tiny piece of plain ol' scotch tape, and is REALLY glossy preserving the original look of the iPod's face. Shrugg. I'm glad that you have another alternative though, not everybody likes the same things.

solinent
Oct 30, 2005, 11:56 AM
can u post how long it took to get ther ( and what does it say on the site )

nomad01
Oct 30, 2005, 03:27 PM
I got one of the covers for the whole of my iPod from there, and it is bloody awful. I spent ages putting it on, thought it looked great. The day after video is impossible to watch because it looks like there is dust all over the screen. I wouldn't bother wasting my money on this rip off. I ordered an invisibleshield, as the one I have is cr*p!

Might be worth complaining to MF then as it sounds like something went wrong. Aside from the fact that the MF cover doesn't cover the whole unit and leaves a lot of the rear exposed, mine went on fine and looks really nice.

The slightly bumpy look of the Invisible Shield bothers me a bit and I'm not sure I'd like it but tempted to give it a go for the all round protection.

snowmoon
Oct 30, 2005, 03:55 PM
The slightly bumpy look of the Invisible Shield bothers me a bit and I'm not sure I'd like it but tempted to give it a go for the all round protection.

The texture/ruberized feel is MUCH nicer. Doesn't feel like it's going to slide out of my hands if I get distracted for a moment! Once again the look can only be seen at an angle under proper lighting.

unten44
Nov 1, 2005, 01:02 AM
After applying the invisible shield on my new video iPod, I tested its strength and made a video of it.

Check out the video here:
http://www.untenohana.com/archives/videos/ipod_scratch_test/

balamw
Nov 1, 2005, 01:12 AM
Damn I ordered a day before you and still no dice. I won't get real mad until i see if it comes Monday. Could it be you are closer to UT then me? I am in PA, what about you?
I ordered a few things from OverlayPlus this past few week, both arrived withing 3 business days using the USPS first class shipping from UT to CA. Sorry to hear that PA is not as quick.

B

balamw
Nov 1, 2005, 01:15 AM
Wow... I really love the MF shields protector I have on my Nano. You do know that you can get the lint/dust off of it right? It is a washable cover, comes off w/ a tiny piece of plain ol' scotch tape, and is REALLY glossy preserving the original look of the iPod's face. Shrugg. I'm glad that you have another alternative though, not everybody likes the same things.
Check out my comments on mine for the 5G here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1872567#post1872567

I gave it 8/10.

I may try the sticky tape route to remove lint, as I managed to trap a couple of strands on the display.

B

guru_ck
Nov 1, 2005, 01:24 AM
After applying the invisible shield on my new video iPod, I tested its strength and made a video of it.

Wow that was very brave of you! That kind of hurt to watch, but it proves that the product lives up to all the hype. I can't wait until the one for my nano shows up. :p

evilgEEk
Nov 1, 2005, 08:36 PM
Put my Invisible Shield on my new black 30gig Video iPod and it looks great! I'm soooo glad I got this shield, it protects it like a champ, and I love how it seems to heal itself when it gets jabbed with somethin.

A friend of mine and I put on the shields at the same time and it took us about an hour to get everything situated and on straight. Also, we were too impatient to wait 24 hours for the shield to dry, we only let them sit for about an hour and a half before we turned them back on. ;) Thankfully they worked just fine with no problems. I don't think the 24 hour wait period is to let the iPod dry because I dropped my 4th Gen 20 gig in to a pan full of water and turned it on about five minutes later and it was fine. I think they recommend waiting 24 hours to make sure the shield doesn't slide around and get messed up.

Anyway, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to protect their iPod! It's a great investment.

Konradx
Nov 1, 2005, 10:44 PM
you keep your click wheel shield on or take it off? im still debating:(

Mike Teezie
Nov 2, 2005, 11:14 AM

You are the bravest man alive.

That was a great video, thanks for posting.

maddav
Nov 2, 2005, 12:43 PM

That was good, I especially liked the zip-loc test!!

iDM
Nov 2, 2005, 08:16 PM

Officially the best first post ever, bar none.

I liked that video better then the one on their website, yours seemed a lot more like a dude who just got his invisible shield and went apesh** on it to test it's durability. Good stuff.

unten44
Nov 3, 2005, 04:47 PM
you keep your click wheel shield on or take it off? im still debating:(

I had it off at first and it's nice because the groove around the wheel made it feel more like how the 3G iPod wheel is set a little deeper. I eventually got worried about my keys scratching the wheel so I put the wheel shield on too.

Konradx
Nov 3, 2005, 08:53 PM
I had it off at first and it's nice because the groove around the wheel made it feel more like how the 3G iPod wheel is set a little deeper. I eventually got worried about my keys scratching the wheel so I put the wheel shield on too.

wow cool i didnt know you could re-apply just the click wheel center shield on later if you want

kugino
Nov 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
i ordered the nano one for my wife...i might get the 4g one for myself.

it's funny that some don't get how this is different from those PDA protectors or lcd screen covers. "just buy this and you get 7 of them to replace." um, how about just buying one IS and getting lifetime replacements, IF you even need them.

unten44
Nov 4, 2005, 08:34 PM

Yup, my video of the invisible shield has close ups of the sides, front, and back:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=159380

john_satc
Nov 6, 2005, 06:20 AM
I got my invisible shield and have had a problem. I have got finger prints and small hairs on the sticky side, and can't get them off. I tried running under the tap but not luck. How do I fix this, it is terribly annoying!

Islanders3278
Nov 7, 2005, 03:26 PM
I just got my Martin/Fields Overlay Plus... I love it. It was a sinch to put on. I'd just recommend holding it by a piece of scotch tape, and slowly lowering it onto the IPod..

I had no used for the back piece, so I cut it to fit my T-Mobile Sidekick 2!

ToastMaster
Nov 11, 2005, 02:06 AM
Okay, I just got a 30 black 5g iPod in the mail last week. I used it in and out of the included sleeve, and of course that put several hairline scratches on the front that you really can only see under light.

I plan on getting an InvisibleShield (since I don't like to settle for second-best, and $25 isn't THAT expensive) but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and if some of my scratches showed underneath the InvisibleShield, it would bug me.

So a couple of questions:

1. Do small scratches show with the InvisibleShield on?
2. Should I get them removed with something first?
3. If so, what should I use?
(I've been thinking about iCleaner, but it looks kinda spendy for just the few small scratches I have, if I get an InvisibleShield, I'll probably never need to polish another iPod.)

absurdio
Nov 16, 2005, 03:18 PM
i'm still not sure which route to go: martin fields or invisibleshield. There's no doubt that that video proved the invisibleshield is basically invincible...which is very nice. But somehow the way it makes the ipod look wavy/lumpy whatever makes the ipod look inelegant and cheap. I haven't seen it in person, so I can't say, but all the pictures I've seen of it... I dunno...kinda seems like drinking fine wine out of an empty sardine tin, y'know?

I'm not so worried about the back / sides, so the Martin Fields version might be the way to go... those of you that have tried it, do you think it protects as well as the invisibleshield? Do you still keep the ipod in a case/sleeve, even with the shield on?

Or if i'm going to get a case (i really like the burninglove ones - http://www.burninglove.biz/index.php), do I still need a shield at all?

One more question: which is thinner / more dock-compatible: Invisibleshield or Martin Fields?

Thanks fellas.

Ringu
Nov 19, 2005, 03:22 PM
Have any of you put the Invisible Shield on, let it dry 24 hours, and then peeled it off and re-applied it?

If so, what were your results. I put on the IS today on a brand new Nano, and I'm not satisfied with the results and I want to try it again, but don't want to make it worse either.

Thanks

absurdio
Nov 19, 2005, 04:00 PM
I just ordered my 5g 60gb black ipod and a two-pack of martin-fields screen protectors. Why M/F instead of Invisible Shield? Mostly because I don't like the way the Invisible Shield looks when it's dry. I realize it's basically bomb-proof, which is VERY appealing, but I have a hard time with the idea of saving my sexy new ipod from scratches by covering it in something (that imho) looks about as ugly as the scratches do. So I went the M-F route. Those don't cover the sides, but that doesn't bother me; after all, i'm not going to be watching video on the SIDE of the ipod. They DO come with a back protector, but I doubt I'll use that, either. I just want the one for the front. I don't know how scratch resistant these are compared to the Invisible Shield, but I'll be sure to report on that once I find out. The other thing I rather like about the M-F protector (in addition to its being crystal clear and preserving the original sex appeal of the ipod) is that it covers just the screen and the center-select button, leaving the scroll wheel alone. I'm coming from the 3g ipod, where the scroll wheel is slightly recessed, anyway, so hopefully the M-F screen protector will give the 5g a feel something like that.

I also look forward to seeing how compatible the 5g is with my 3g's dock: I know the 60gb 5g is slightly thinner than my 30gb 3g (ain't technology nuts?), so hopefully with the screen protector on, it should fit in the dock just about perfectly. We'll see.

JonHimself
Nov 20, 2005, 09:36 PM
I got my IS last week and put it on and it seemed to have gone fine however I noticed two scratches that are on the IS (the sticky side) I peeled up the corner and varified that they were on the screen and not on the iPod. It is not lint or hair anything, but an actual scratch. Does anyone know if this is covered in the lifetime replacement guarantee?

nightdweller25
Nov 21, 2005, 01:41 AM
I already ordered the shield but I'm still a little skeptical about putting it on. Exactly how wet does it have to be? How much soap? Is it frustrating? How does your iPod look after you peel it off? I know it's a lot of questions, but like I said, I'm skeptical

MacTruck
Nov 21, 2005, 02:07 AM
I already ordered the shield but I'm still a little skeptical about putting it on. Exactly how wet does it have to be? How much soap? Is it frustrating? How does your iPod look after you peel it off? I know it's a lot of questions, but like I said, I'm skeptical

I Ditto this post.

JonHimself
Nov 21, 2005, 02:24 AM
I was looking for all this before I did as well but couldn't seem to find anything. Here's what I can offer to you guys. It's pretty much any problems/thoughts I had on my adventure in applying the IS

- The instructions say to wet both the front and back of the templates... not sure why you had to do both, but I did anyways.
- Peeling the skin is harder than you would expect. What I did was peel off the outside of the skin (It comes on a rectangle, the whole front is the same material but there is the outline of the actual skin that you pull off) off first, then I was left with only the part I wanted and peeled that off
- I filled a small glass with water and added a drop of soap
- I dipped my fingers in the water and just ran them over the entire back (sticky part) first the top half, then re-wet and did the second half. I think they may have been too much (I could have gotten away with less) but it was still ok.
- It did not slide around too well at first, but after I initially dropped it on the iPod I quickly peeled it off and redropped it which seemed to help it move a lot easier.
- I had an actual squeegee (a small one for cleaning my bathroom mirror) and just held down one corner and pushed the water outwards
- I took someone's advice on here and just left the edges
- Like an hour later I came back and wet my fingers and wet down the edges then used my forearm to push down each side, one side at a time for like 30 seconds. Then I just watched to see if it would unpeel, if it did I just used my forearm again and held it longer
- Be careful when you peel the front template. I wasn't careful and ended up separating the click-wheel pieces and had to apply it separately (now I can feel the gap between the click wheel and the rest of the iPod)
- Be very careful that there are no little hairs, lint hairs or dust floating around and wash your hands regularly while applying it
- If you let it dry for several hours and then try to readjust a portion (especially if it is on the screen) you may have to peel back enough so that it no longer covers the screen or crease marks may show at the point you stopped peeling (You'll know what I'm talking about if you do this
- Somehow I was able to scratch the underside (sticky part) of the IS and there is now a small scuff mark on the part over my screen which is annoying
- Was a lot easier to do than I expected
- Make sure you have a few surfaces cleaned off incase you need to set the IS down while you're doing this so it won't collect dust
- Try your best to avoid touching the back AT ALL, it was hard to remove finger prints (If you do get some, try applying a lot of water with your fingers and 'scrubbing' the spot of the finger print. Then when you reapply it press hard on the area where the finger print was, seems to get rid of it)

JonHimself
Nov 21, 2005, 02:31 AM
And just so my other post doesn't get lost in this new turn. Does anyone know if scratches on the underside of the IS would constitute a replacement?

MacTruck
Nov 21, 2005, 04:21 AM
This is the best shield for your ipod. TOTAL protection.

http://www.coldfusionwebsites.com/ebay_images/ipodcased.jpg

JW008
Nov 21, 2005, 12:58 PM
I just got finished applying my Invisible Shield. I don't think a picture of the thing can do it justice. In direct light (meaning, I had a lamp positioned directly over the iPod when I was applying the IS), I was a little bit nervous about how it looked. But as soon as I moved it out of direct light (or even if I moved to where I couldn't see the glare) I couldn't see the shield at all...and this is without letting it completely dry.The directions say that you've got to let the adhesive dry before the shield will disappear. Hopefully after it dries you won't even notice it in direct light.

This thing is tough. It recommends using a credit card (I used my student ID) to get out all the water and air bubbles. Of course, taking a credit card to my brand new iPod made me nervous, but the shield did its job.

Overall, it looks great. I know it says not to turn it the iPod on for 24 hours, but I couldn't help myself---I couldn't tell any difference when watching a video, the backlight seems to eliminate any effect that IS has on what the screen looks like. The iPod won't "shine" the way it did without the IS, but the way I look at it, it's pretty good tradeoff for no scratches (plus not having to carry it around in a case) for losing the shine.

A tip on getting the dust and fingerprints off: use the little cloth that comes with your Macs. I used the one from my iMac plus a little Windex and it got everything off pretty quickly. It also took me around 30 minutes and multiple tries to get the thing perfect, so make sure you sit down and expect to spend that much time.

Follow JonHimself's steps plus the ones provided with the IS.

Ipaqman
Nov 21, 2005, 06:51 PM
will the invisible shield cover up scratches that were previously on the ipod?

kugino
Nov 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
of course it will cover it up...or do you mean it will hide previous scratches? as the invisible shield is clear, you will still be able to see previous scratches. very tiny ones might be harder to see, but most are still visible.

Ipaqman
Nov 21, 2005, 07:58 PM
is there any way of buying the invisibleshield in Canada? also... how do i change the country to Canada on the billing and shipping address on the is website?

one last question... are there any discounts for the invisible shield?

thanks,
ipaqman

tvguru
Nov 21, 2005, 08:22 PM
is there any way of buying the invisibleshield in Canada? also... how do i change the country to Canada on the billing and shipping address on the is website?

I just bought it normally off the website. Don't remember exactly how I changed it to Canada but it wasn't anything special.
Also, don't know about any discounts.

Tvguru

p.s. I've ordered 2 each separately. One I ordered with expedited shipping and the other not. I didn't notice a difference in days to get to me. If anything the expedited took longer believe it or not.

Konradx
Nov 21, 2005, 08:45 PM

thanks,
ipaqman

Their was an option to pick anothe country..i ordered my to Toronto.

JonHimself
Nov 21, 2005, 08:56 PM
Did any of you fellow Canadians have to pay a COD on it? I had to pay an additional 23 bucks that I wasn't expecting...

ToastMaster
Nov 21, 2005, 11:57 PM

I finally bit the bullet and got an invisibleshield for my 5g, and (as you can see in a previous thread I posted) when I was cleaning up my ipod with brasso somehow I got some circular scratches on the front.

I put on the invisibleshield anyways, and I can't even see the circular scratches from the cloth I used. Probably because the tiny scratches really have to catch the light, and the invisibleshield cuts down on that.

elvinc
Nov 25, 2005, 12:06 AM
Anyone docking their iPod with IS? I've only noticed one reference in the thread so far? Anyone else? Curious how much of a squeeze it is and whether it takes some effort or lead one to expect extra wear on the IS?

uclasoccer
Nov 27, 2005, 01:15 AM
Anyone order the invisible shield with free shipping and have a problem getting their order?

woodnall
Nov 27, 2005, 08:46 PM
Invisibleshield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a place on line that sells the invisibleshield for the 5G video for $23.99 and the Nano for $18.99 with .01 shipping in the US. There is tax in Ca. Also if you type in the code THANKS in the promo code you save an additional $10.00 on orders over $50.00. www.techrestore.com

qgriffith
Dec 4, 2005, 03:09 PM
My IS should be here tommorrow. I am a bit nervous about putting it on because I am not good at those sort of things. I had trouble putting on a PDA screen protector, so I know this is going to be a lot harder then that. Wetting it worries me as well but since so many people out there have used it and did not ruin their IPOD I am sure that part is not going to be in issue. I purchased a Zcover for my 5G ipod but I did not like the fact that the screen cover is a hard piece of plastic that sits losely on top of the IPOD screen, to me that seems like it would cause more harm then good. Has anyone waited the full 24 hours for the IS to dry? Shouldn't over night be enough? I plan on putting the front on first then waiting a hour or two and then placing the back on, then waiting another hour to put the flaps down. Anyone else have any other tips to a someone who is new to doing this stuff? I am suprised that there are not really any cases out yet for the IPOD 5G besides the Zcover and the IS like covers. I am a bit nervous as well if I have to take the IS cover off for some reason about the residue it may leave behind. I read it can be taking off with something called Goo Be Gone but what kind of cloth do you use to get the stuff off that will not cause damage to the IPOD screen?

yhe15
Dec 7, 2005, 07:48 AM
Hi, guys, i have some little bubbles underneath my invisible shield on the screen section. I dont really care for the other parts, but the ones on the screen are annoying when watching something. Are these gona disapear eventually or i need to do something to get rid of them. HELP!!!!! GUYS!!!!

aricher
Dec 7, 2005, 09:37 AM
I had the same thing on mine - drove me nutso. How long ago did you install the IS? The bubbles were on mine for over a week. I ended up pulling it off (very slowly) and reapplying. No bubbles now but I have a small piece of lint on the body part - at least it's not the screen.

petergia
Dec 9, 2005, 03:46 PM
Just received my IS via UPS. The envelope was badly creased as was the the IS, front and back pieces. Called their customer service desk, spoke to a very nice guy, explained the problem. They are sending me out a new one today. I just have to mail them back the damaged one. I was really looking forward to putting the IS on this weekend, oh well have to wait a few more days for the new one to arrive.

brooksy8
Dec 16, 2005, 01:46 PM

I just put on the IS ... and I am overall pleased with the results.

From my experience, I would say get the pieces very wet. I used water, with very deluded soap in it, and just dipped the entire piece in the water. When the piece is more wet, it is SO much easier to move around on the Ipod.

It is frustrating, so go slow and spend at least 45 minutes on the application if you want good results. Air bubbles will happen - I am a perfectionist and they did. However, I would suggest mainly to make sure that there are NO air bubbles on the screen. I have a few tiny air bubbles (that you can only see from certain angles) but I am extremely happy with the results considering I have full protection over my screen.

petergia
Dec 19, 2005, 12:33 PM
I got my replacement shield on Friday and the center pieces that cover the wheel were already punched out. I called the company back again today to complain about the punched out pieces and was told that is the way they are shipping them now. When asked why, the answer was that during shipping the center pieces were coming unstuck from the sheet. I was really wanting the shield as a whole piece but I quess I'll have to settle with putting on four pieces instead of just two. I hope that all this trouble is worth the extra effort.

aricher
Dec 19, 2005, 01:09 PM
If anyone here is installing for the first time here's a tip - after the IS has dried a bit if you have any random tiny air bubbles - DO NOT - try to burnish them out with the corner edge of a credit card. A co-worker did this and now the IS has tiny stretch marks on it and feels dented where it was rubbed too much. Probably better to take it off and restart.

Also, be sure to block the ports on your iPod with some tape. Another co-worker totally jacked their iPod screen by getting water in during the IS install. The screen had a nice bubbly halo around the center. Let me tell ya - I'm not too popular here at work these days - 2 of the 3 people I sold on the IS have screwed it up - one permanently damaging their iPod.

petergia - I have one iPod with the 1-piece IS and another with the multiple piece. At first I liked the 1-sheet better but now I like how the feeling of the separated parts has made my iPod feel like more of an interactive device rather than an object. Guess it feels like a throwback to my original 1G model.

mduser63
Dec 27, 2005, 06:12 PM
I bought a new 30 GB iPod today :D. I also picked up an InvisibleShield for $20. Put it on a few hours ago. I must say, it was pretty difficult to apply, but now that it's on, in looks great. There are a few small air/water bubbles, but none that really bother me, and most importantly, none over the screen. I found out about the InvisibleShield from a company rep doing a live demo to the people in line for the opening of the Salt Lake Apple Store. He was throwing it on the (brick) ground and letting people kick it around and then showing that the shield, while scratched slightly, was fine. Seems to me like the best protection out there so far for the iPod, especially considering how thin it is. We'll see how it holds up in normal use.

haldir
Dec 27, 2005, 08:52 PM
I found out about the InvisibleShield from a company rep doing a live demo to the people in line for the opening of the Salt Lake Apple Store. He was throwing it on the (brick) ground and letting people kick it around and then showing that the shield, while scratched slightly, was fine. Seems to me like the best protection out there so far for the iPod, especially considering how thin it is. We'll see how it holds up in normal use.

Does the InvisibleShield (mine is on order, after reading the rave reviews on this forum) truly protect against dropping an iPod, or did the demonstration to which you refer not involve a Pod? It seems unlikely that, while it appears to provide excellent scratch and surface protection, a layer of plastic wrap couldn't provide any kind of shock protection for the device's innards.

I'd love to be proved wrong here, folks... :confused:

Konradx
Dec 28, 2005, 12:13 AM
Does the InvisibleShield (mine is on order, after reading the rave reviews on this forum) truly protect against dropping an iPod, or did the demonstration to which you refer not involve a Pod? It seems unlikely that, while it appears to provide excellent scratch and surface protection, a layer of plastic wrap could provide any kind of shock protection for the device's innards.

It protects it from scratches not falls..just think about it logically..its just a piece of plastic not a pillow:D

mduser63
Dec 28, 2005, 10:51 AM
Does the InvisibleShield (mine is on order, after reading the rave reviews on this forum) truly protect against dropping an iPod, or did the demonstration to which you refer not involve a Pod? It seems unlikely that, while it appears to provide excellent scratch and surface protection, a layer of plastic wrap could provide any kind of shock protection for the device's innards.

Maybe I should edit my post, I mean throwing sort of figuratively. He wasn't dropping his iPod from a great height, more like placing it on the ground. He was letting people kick it around like a hockey puck though. The IS will not provide any significant shock protection like a padded case or an iSkin would. It only protects against scratches. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from using it in addition to a padded case as it doesn't really make the iPod significantly larger.

haldir
Dec 28, 2005, 12:12 PM
Maybe I should edit my post, I mean throwing sort of figuratively. He wasn't dropping his iPod from a great height, more like placing it on the ground. He was letting people kick it around like a hockey puck though. The IS will not provide any significant shock protection like a padded case or an iSkin would. It only protects against scratches. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from using it in addition to a padded case as it doesn't really make the iPod significantly larger.

Right, thanks!

dmseads
Dec 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
Ordered mine yesterday. Why in the heck Apple didn't/doesn't incorporate something like this into the design is beyond me. Doest it hurt video viewing at all? Any video distortion at all with the invisible shield?

aricher
Dec 28, 2005, 02:41 PM
No distortion at all unless you get bubbles underneath. I have no idea while Apple isn't either including these with the iPod or reengineering the front to begin with. I was in the Apple Store here (Chicago) today - so many people by the Genius Bar complaining about scratches. They were sold out of all the Power Support crystal covers and almost all the 5G cases.

mduser63
Dec 28, 2005, 03:49 PM
Ordered mine yesterday. Why in the heck Apple didn't/doesn't incorporate something like this into the design is beyond me. Doest it hurt video viewing at all? Any video distortion at all with the invisible shield?

No video distortion that I can detect. It looks great. My brother has a digital camera that has a lens that can have a car key dragged across it with no damage. Obviously, being a camera lens, it is very clear. I don't see why Apple can't replace the clear coating on the front of the iPod with that sort of material. Of course the back is metal, so it's already pretty tough, but it's so polished and glossy that it shows scratches really easily. If they moved to a brushed metal or anodized back, that problem would be solved.

bzollinger
Dec 28, 2005, 05:41 PM
After considering both the IS and the agent18 case, I chose the agent18 case with the coupon code that can be found on this site. I have to say it's great. There are absolutely NO install issues. It looks and works great!! After time the screen cover might scratch up a bit, but it doesn't bother me cause I know that the screen beneath is good to go. I expect that after a year or so, if the screen protector gets too scratched then I'll simply buy another agent18 case and start all over. $20 a year to protect my 60GB 5g iPod is totally worth it. Good luck on whatever case you choose!!

bz

jmsait19
Dec 28, 2005, 06:42 PM
just a thought...

but i was remembering how this iPod instructions note that the iPod should be removed from any case when charging... I guess that this is good for the battery or something because of the heat that is generated...

but will the invisibleSHIELD prevent the proper dissipation of heat and cause problems for my iPod??

agian, just a thought...

greenguy4
Dec 30, 2005, 12:44 AM
Applied my IS and the front has a bunch of smudge marks. I am not sure if this is from when I applied it (about 3 hours ago). Am I able to slowly remove it and replace it again?

phatspider
Dec 30, 2005, 07:55 AM
Is it just me thats a little wary about putting soapy water near my iPod?

I know mobile phones are extremely susceptable to water damage on the internal circuitry

aricher
Dec 31, 2005, 11:18 AM
When you're applying the IS you should tape the ports with masking tape. 2 people I work with have royally screwed their iPods with water. One the screen has rainbow water stainage and the other had it's hard drive go bad. The bad HD I think was from the guy turning it on before the 24 hour dry down period. He said the screen started to flicker and then wouldn't turn off. D'oh.

jwilliams
Jan 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
I ordered my invisible shield off their website 2 days ago. I love the idea of it but am way too nervous about messing this up. How good are the instructions that come with it? i cannot stand instructions that are extremely vague and hard to follow. Also i looked at the intructions on "a rainy day" or whatever it is and it says that i have to like pay in order to see it or something. Someone help me out on where to find good instuctions (preferably with pictures)

jwilliams
Jan 8, 2006, 06:27 PM
when you get your invisible shield how exactly do you go about taking it from the backing it is on without getting tons of fingerprints on it?