PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini Video Card question

Daily
Oct 24, 2005, 10:16 PM
Is it possible to upgrade the video card on my mini to something that supports Quartz Extreme?

G5Unit
Oct 24, 2005, 10:18 PM
One word: Nope, sry! Wait that's 2.

Err
Oct 24, 2005, 11:19 PM
One word: Nope, sry! Wait that's 2.

Well, technically "sry" isnt a word! I just wasted everyones time didn't I...... sry..... :p

Sun Baked
Oct 24, 2005, 11:20 PM
Well, technically "sry" isnt a word! I just wasted everyones time didn't I...... sry..... :pWell you are allow one err a day. ;)

OutThere
Oct 24, 2005, 11:33 PM
Well, your Mac Mini already supports Quartz Extreme, which has been used for much of the 2D graphics eye-candy in OS X for a while. What it doesn't support is core-image, the latest and greatest rendering system that supports even more eye-candy. My guess is that in the next revision of minis they will put in the Radeon 9550, which supports core image. :)

Xeem
Oct 24, 2005, 11:48 PM
Well you are allow one err a day. ;)

Well played, well played.

If the Minis had a 9550 a month ago, I would have gotten one rather than my iBook. Then again, Apple doesn't want its "bargain" computer to steal business away from its more expensive ones.

Daily
Oct 25, 2005, 07:29 AM
well is it just not feasible to upgrade the video card? I mean _couldn't_ I simply yank out the 9200 and throw in a 9550?

Sun Baked
Oct 25, 2005, 01:42 PM
well is it just not feasible to upgrade the video card? I mean _couldn't_ I simply yank out the 9200 and throw in a 9550?It's probably easier to upgrade the engine in a FWD car to a v-10 viper motor.

THERE IS NO CARD ...

It's a chip soldered directly to the board, any replacement needs to be pin compatible -- or it'll be a major challenge.

The Mini also has tight space tolerances.

DaftUnion
Oct 25, 2005, 01:58 PM
It's probably easier to upgrade the engine in a FWD car to a v-10 viper motor.

THERE IS NO CARD ...

It's a chip soldered directly to the board, any replacement needs to be pin compatible -- or it'll be a major challenge.

The Mini also has tight space tolerances.

you beat me to it.