PDA

View Full Version : Help with new Powerbook 15'' PLEASE

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 01:21 PM
I got my BTO powerbook about an hour ago and the first thing i did was run teh apple hardware test and it FAILED. someone please help. The error i get is during the logic board test and I get this error message "

Error 2Fan/4/1: Rear Right exhaust

Can one of you new powerbooks owners please duplicate this? I was thinking maybe the hardware test wasnt updated for the new powerbooks, or if not that that maybe I really do have a faulty exhaust fan. Please HELP!!!!

pna
Oct 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
I got my BTO powerbook about an hour ago and the first thing i did was run teh apple hardware test and it FAILED. someone please help. The error i get is during the logic board test and I get this error message "

Error 2Fan/4/1: Rear Right exhaust

Can one of you new powerbooks owners please duplicate this? I was thinking maybe the hardware test wasnt updated for the new powerbooks, or if not that that maybe I really do have a faulty exhaust fan. Please HELP!!!!

Call apple -- they should be aware of the issue if its within the hardware test itself.

mrscribble
Oct 26, 2005, 01:49 PM
I ran the hardware test on mine when it arrived too - it passed everything. Sounds like you have an actual problem - sorry. Apple should fix it without any fuss though.

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 02:14 PM
did u have the 15 '' powerbook as well?

Demon Hunter
Oct 26, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well, good job testing it right away. Don't use it or it might get too hot. :confused:

mrscribble
Oct 26, 2005, 03:23 PM
did u have the 15 '' powerbook as well?

Yeah, it's the new 15" base model (no BTO).

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 04:15 PM
called applecare, they are making me send it in for repair. its good that somthing is happening at least , but it lookst like ill be without my pb for a another week.... this sux.... they BETTERfix it right the first time and not make me have to send it it again or im gonna be ANGRY!

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 04:21 PM
called applecare, they are making me send it in for repair. its good that somthing is happening at least , but it lookst like ill be without my pb for a another week.... this sux.... they BETTERfix it right the first time and not make me have to send it it again or im gonna be ANGRY!

dam dude that sucks. i have one dead pixel but none of the problems you expressed. i ran the hardware test and it passed successfully.

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 04:42 PM
thanks for your sypathy guys... looking forward to a quick turn around by applecare!

Nuc
Oct 26, 2005, 04:46 PM
Why don't you tell them to send you a new one? I don't know if I would want a new computer that already failed the hardware test.... Or maybe I'm to picky.

Nuc

ipacmm
Oct 26, 2005, 04:53 PM
If you have an Apple store near you, I would go down and return it and get a new one.

Demon Hunter
Oct 26, 2005, 05:02 PM
Why don't you tell them to send you a new one? I don't know if I would want a new computer that already failed the hardware test.... Or maybe I'm to picky.

Nuc

Nah... I'm that picky too... I would send the whole thing back and order a new one. Since when you get it back, the aluminum will probably be warped a little from opening it up.

g0gie
Oct 26, 2005, 06:38 PM
Yea I was thinking abuto getting anew one too but I think the turn around period woudl take longer. I really want to get this working asap

FFTT
Oct 27, 2005, 12:18 AM
If you have an AppleStore near you, they should just replace it on the spot.

Do not delay!

You said you're model is a stock 15", so there should be no problem
replacing it at the store.

g0gie
Oct 27, 2005, 12:54 AM
actually my model is BTO with the 100gb 7200rpm HD

maxterpiece
Oct 27, 2005, 01:43 AM
If you have an AppleStore near you, they should just replace it on the spot.

Do not delay!

You said you're model is a stock 15", so there should be no problem
replacing it at the store.

they will probably refuse to take it back without charging a 10% restocking fee. I had an issue a WHILE back with a power computing mac clone that shipped with a bad motherboard. They wouldn't let me just return it and get a new one. Fortunately they had a 30 day money back guarantee so I just returned it that way.

SummerBreeze
Oct 27, 2005, 02:23 AM
That's terrible, that would drive me crazy. Getting a new PowerBook and having to send it right back....that sucks.

carpe diem
Oct 27, 2005, 03:16 AM
Maybe the box damaged it

Temujin
Oct 27, 2005, 04:44 AM
What is this test program you guys are talking about. can't seem to find it. Have the BTO 15" new PB too.

Never mind, found it.