PDA

View Full Version : Just Got my New Powermac

mashinhead
Oct 26, 2005, 02:28 PM
i just got a dual-core 2.0, up from a 1.67 G4. I have to say i'm really dissapointed. This computer isn't fast at all, its about the same speed as the powerbook. and the mighty mouse just sucks. I think i might sell it. does it get better with time? Plust it makes some wierd noises, which haven't notice on other g5's i use at school?

G5Unit
Oct 26, 2005, 02:30 PM
How much ram you got in there?

mashinhead
Oct 26, 2005, 02:34 PM
512 for now, but still, it should be faster than the powerbook, right?

mashinhead
Oct 26, 2005, 02:35 PM
oh and my powerbook has 2gigs

jiggie2g
Oct 26, 2005, 02:46 PM
512 for now, but still, it should be faster than the powerbook, right?

I swear I will never understand why people post redicuious stuff like this before looking at the obvious.

"Hint" Your PowerMAc is cripple by low ram get atleast 2GB(1GBx2) if it still sucks then bitch about it. go to newegg.com get some Corsair or OCZ or Crucial ram.

ipacmm
Oct 26, 2005, 02:57 PM
oh and my powerbook has 2gigs

Well if your powerbook had 2Gb, it would feel faster. I would install at least 2GB of ram on the Powermac and then give it a try.

tekmoe
Oct 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
what are you smokin' man? i bought the same exact one last night and it blazes!

VanMac
Oct 26, 2005, 03:09 PM
i just got a dual-core 2.0, up from a 1.67 G4. I have to say i'm really dissapointed. This computer isn't fast at all, its about the same speed as the powerbook. and the mighty mouse just sucks. I think i might sell it. does it get better with time? Plust it makes some wierd noises, which haven't notice on other g5's i use at school?
I'll give you $500 cash for it right now if your so dissappointed....

forumBuddy
Oct 26, 2005, 03:19 PM
What is it with people here throwing tons of memory down their Macs? What is it obsession, hope for the miracles - what is it? Granted I have 2.5Gb in my G5 PowerMac - but it's really overkill for everyday tasks. After observing behavior of Mac OS X, you need at most 1Gig and OS actually will be fine with even less. 512 is ok, on my machine the only time I noticed a difference is when having dashboard load while bunch of other staff is loaded. So no, he doesn't need to buy 2.5Gig to notice the difference.

The truth is, that G4 clock for clock is really comparable to G5 performance. And even though there is faster bus, memory etc, unless you doing games, rendering in every day tasks (browsing, documents, slideshow) it will make little difference. So, assuming you went from 1.64Ghz to 2.0Ghz - there is not much difference there.

Keep in mind though that once you start stressing system by having multiple programs running etc, you should see that PowerMac is faster simply because second processor/core comes into play.

Macabron
Oct 26, 2005, 04:58 PM
Have you checked if the processor setting is in highest?
And if it is, try something that really taxes the procesor.
Just as a test encode some video for the iPod, something with less than a minute total duration. Time it. I'm sure you will notice the difference.

mashinhead
Oct 27, 2005, 06:57 AM
Have you checked if the processor setting is in highest?
And if it is, try something that really taxes the procesor.
Just as a test encode some video for the iPod, something with less than a minute total duration. Time it. I'm sure you will notice the difference.

how do you check that

cruxed
Oct 27, 2005, 07:09 AM
All I can say is that my PowerMac beats the pants off my Mac Mini...

mjstew33
Oct 27, 2005, 07:24 AM
All I can say is that my PowerMac beats the pants off my Mac Mini...
well duh. :rolleyes:

dude, you need more RAM... and no, it's not an obsession. Macs love RAM. The more you have, the better ;)

:cool:

TBi
Oct 27, 2005, 07:59 AM
well duh. :rolleyes:

dude, you need more RAM... and no, it's not an obsession. Macs love RAM. The more you have, the better ;)

:cool:

I remember the days when Microsoft was slated because NT5 (2000) was such a memory hog. Kinda funny now that macs have the same appetite for memory.

SuperSnake2012
Oct 27, 2005, 08:19 AM
OS X is a lot more demanding than Windows 2000 :rolleyes: