PDA

View Full Version : Got my powerbook... now it wobbles

anamenotused
Oct 26, 2005, 04:42 PM
Anyone else find this to be an issue? I called apple and did the tests (checked the feet, reseated the battery, slipped 2 business cards under the side that sticks up) and they said I have to have it sent in to be replaced. Is anyone else noticing this on theirs?? Kinda bums me out to think that my powerbook will now be in a way a referb.

slimflem
Oct 26, 2005, 04:44 PM
I don't have that problem. My battery was loose and not fitting snugly, so I took it to the Apple Store where I bought it and they replaced it for me free of charge. No more problems with that.

yg17
Oct 26, 2005, 07:22 PM
Sure it isn't the table? Mine wobbles on a couple of my tables and is fine on the others. Damn tables are old and warped, so thats why

Vster
Oct 26, 2005, 07:57 PM
Yes! Both my wife and I have had this problem on out iBooks. I was so bummed out when I pulled our iBooks out and they were both wobbling. I didn't think that Apple would do anything about it so I found out where they weren't touching and grabbed the on both sides (at the keyboard) and twisted. It turned out fine, although I was really worried while I was doing it. :)

anamenotused
Oct 27, 2005, 01:40 AM
I tried it on 2 different glass surfaces as well as 3 tables. all the same result. i called apple. they told me to put 2 business cards under the high corner to see if they touch (they didnt), then told me to reseat the battery, then said to rotate it and try different surfaces. Then the rep said he would transfer me to a higher authority person which eventually i was hung up on while i was waiting. and i was extremly polite during this whole ordeal. so i call again, was polite as usual, and they said they were going to send me a box to send back to them so they would fix it.... not a big fan of apple at the moment considering i just got this and a 60 gig ipod color screen :-)

BurtonCCC
Oct 27, 2005, 01:44 AM
How do you "reseat the battery?" I've had this problem for awhile, but the Mac Genius essentially just told me to deal with it.

Daniel

i4k20c
Oct 27, 2005, 03:08 AM
How do you "reseat the battery?" I've had this problem for awhile, but the Mac Genius essentially just told me to deal with it.

Daniel

Hahaha i got my powerbook a month ago, and i have this problem, but i never brought it up because i thought they'd bascially tell me to politely "******* off" lol. So whats the word on this? It does really tick me off that the battery isn't flush..

Also like few ppl have said, i hate this but in my dorm, my powerbook wobbles like crazy (i keep it on a flat textbook sometimes because it gets too annoying), but at home, the powerbook doesn't wobble at all..

i4k20c
Oct 27, 2005, 03:09 AM
I tried it on 2 different glass surfaces as well as 3 tables. all the same result. i called apple. they told me to put 2 business cards under the high corner to see if they touch (they didnt), then told me to reseat the battery, then said to rotate it and try different surfaces. Then the rep said he would transfer me to a higher authority person which eventually i was hung up on while i was waiting. and i was extremly polite during this whole ordeal. so i call again, was polite as usual, and they said they were going to send me a box to send back to them so they would fix it.... not a big fan of apple at the moment considering i just got this and a 60 gig ipod color screen :-)

I mean don't rip on apple just yet..if they say sorry outta luck, than i understand.. but not their fault..atleast they are trying to help? :confused:

generik
Oct 27, 2005, 04:05 AM
Made in China Kualeety? :D

Gordy
Oct 27, 2005, 05:17 AM
My 12in powerbook has developed the same wobble :(

The local mac place has quoted me a 10day turn around to get it fixed :( I'm putting it off as I can't be without my mac for 10 days at the moment I've got too much on.

Dagless
Oct 27, 2005, 05:50 AM
MINE WOBBLES TOO! I thought I was the only one! I noticed it 2 days after buying it. It wobbles on my desk. and everywhere else its been. but its temperamental; sometimes it sits there perfectly. I dont get it. right now *checks* theres no wobble. move it around my desk *checks, checks, checks* no wobble. I bet in about 6 hours there will be an obvious wobble that can only be solved by sliding a credit card under the bottom right 'foot'.

Hmm might get mine replaced. its annoying and makes the system feel broken.

mjstew33
Oct 27, 2005, 07:28 AM
you guys don't know this?

PowerBooks - warp and dent easily

iBooks - scratch easily

I'd say it's a warped PowerBook... was it on your lap before it happened?

:p :rolleyes:

generik
Oct 27, 2005, 07:42 AM
Does the 17" warp easier than the 15"?

BurtonCCC
Oct 27, 2005, 01:43 PM
1. Nobody has told me what "reseating" the battery is.

2. Would it warp when the Book gets hot and then you have it on an uneven surface/in your lap? Would letting the computer run and get really hot under a blanket while playing a DVD or something to get it really cooking and then putting it on a flat surface and pressing it down slightly help to "warp" it back?

Daniel

katie ta achoo
Oct 27, 2005, 01:46 PM
1. Nobody has told me what "reseating" the battery is.

take out the battery and put it back in.

matticus008
Oct 27, 2005, 02:18 PM
take out the battery and put it back in.
Right, simple as that. "Original jurisdiction." Original. Jurisdiction. Sorry, it's an old joke from a government or law class shared with my friends from years ago. It was the rather hilarious (to us, because of the blank stares we'd incite) response to a question about a term with an obvious answer (but a high likelihood that it would be a "trick question" term, so also not-so-obvious).

Anyhow, for number 2, Getting the PowerBook to heat up will make it easier to bend, yes, but the temperature difference between normal and "hot" isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, at least for metalworking. Be careful about attempting to bend it back, since you might introduce a new wobble when you move to a different surface. It's always hard to be sure that it's the PowerBook, the table, or a combination of both. That, and you don't want to stress the metal.

Greenone
Oct 27, 2005, 04:01 PM
Oh man you guys are stressing me out! :rolleyes: Mine arrives tomorrow and the first thing I'm gonna do is check for wobbling! I'll be SO BUMMED if it does. My first laptop ever - and a HUGE purchase. Damn!

anamenotused
Oct 28, 2005, 01:08 AM
well apple said they will send me a box which they are doing, they will fix the wobble and send back the same machine.

but get this... so im in class and i let a friend play around with it while i pay attention, she hands it back and the damn thing doesnt wobble anymore!! i seriously cant belive it. so if urs does.. let a friend borrow it for a little while, problem solved :D

guess i just wont send it to apple now. but in all honstly. i say before calling. use it for a week and see if it goes back to normal like mine did. im pretty happy now. no wobble, no bad pixels.

p.s. I test it on my glass desk surface as well as 3 desks and my glass tv stand. i would say glass would be the best way to test.

kbonnel
Oct 28, 2005, 01:43 AM
The wobble of the PB is very common, and my year and a half old PB 1.5Ghz 15" did it too. After a little use in my lap, and a smoother table (it really helps :) ) it went away. (well, I also did a little slight pressure bending, nothing big, but enough to fix the problem.)

Kimo

kmarketing
Oct 28, 2005, 01:47 AM
Hi,

The wobbling is definitely due to the aluminum which is pretty much a soft metal. Unfortunately the issue can return, and there isn't really a fix for it. It's a known issue with the powerbook line especially, and it's been discussed many times since the introduction of the aluminum line. It doesn't bother most people, but when combined (when I had mine) with less than stellar airport reception and battery life, and always being worried about the casing, I ended up selling my aluminum. But again, most people still are able to enjoy their powerbooks.

BurtonCCC
Oct 28, 2005, 08:19 AM
Oh man you guys are stressing me out! :rolleyes: Mine arrives tomorrow and the first thing I'm gonna do is check for wobbling! I'll be SO BUMMED if it does. My first laptop ever - and a HUGE purchase. Damn!
DON'T TAKE THE BATTERY OUT WHEN YOU FIRST GET IT! Sorry for using caps, but I regret doing this... I just wanted to check the serial number... the battery has never fit flush with the chasis again...

Daniel

plasticparadox
Oct 28, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hmm. My friend who bought the last generation of 15" PB had the warping problem. I just got the new 15", and I have to say that there's no issues at all. I guess I got lucky, but there's no warping, no dead pixels, just perfection!

Does anyone know if the warping/wobbling can develop over time?

Counterfit
Oct 28, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hi,

The wobbling is definitely due to the aluminum which is pretty much a soft metal.
Anodized aluminum is generally stiffer than steel (of the same size/weight), and much more so than titanium. This problem is more due to manufacturing variances (and probably a lack of wobble checking in QC) than any problem with the material itself.
Also like few ppl have said, i hate this but in my dorm, my powerbook wobbles like crazy (i keep it on a flat textbook sometimes because it gets too annoying), but at home, the powerbook doesn't wobble at all..
If it's only in your dorm, I'd say you have a crappy desk there, like 90% of all college students.

Sdashiki
Oct 28, 2005, 11:32 AM
When I bought the "new, at the time" 12" powerbook, after a week or so, the battery no longer sat flush. I had 3 other friends with 12, 15s and 17s and they each had similar problems, but the 12 was bad.

The battery was "seated" by only holding itself (rectangular) on one end. So it never was flush with the bottom.

I never saw my machine "warping" but since the damn thing scratched to easily I always had it on my lap, soft, or on a piece of soft cloth on a hard surface, eliminating wobble.

I dont know what apple is going to fix for you.

finalcoolman
Oct 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
When I brought my 1.33Ghz 12" iBook it also wobbled. I called Apple, they replaced it no questions asked really. The new one sits perfectly, I'm so happy with it.

P.S. This was even a 60gig BTO. When I told the girl on the other end she didn't even argue with me, just said it's not supposed to be like that and went in for a replacement order, she also sounded REALLY hot.

Macmaniac
Oct 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
My 15in wobbles. Although it depends on the surface. Its not a huge deal cause I use a BT mouse and KB.

Mr Maui
Oct 28, 2005, 01:08 PM
When I brought my 1.33Ghz 12" iBook it also wobbled. I called Apple, they replaced it no questions asked really. The new one sits perfectly, I'm so happy with it.

P.S. This was even a 60gig BTO. When I told the girl on the other end she didn't even argue with me, just said it's not supposed to be like that and went in for a replacement order, she also sounded REALLY hot.
How does someone SOUND really HOT!??! Be careful, could have been Pat! :p

shane-o-mac
Oct 28, 2005, 01:25 PM
I returned my nano to apple cause it got way scratched up, they sent me a box and returned a new one in like a week. They really rock at fixing most issues, I say return it before you download too much stuff on the hard drive and it becomes a big hassle. I have had my powerbook for 8 months or so now and love it. Since you will most likely keep your computer for several years I would opt to return it. It is better to do with out your powerbook for a couple weeks and start of with a mint machine you will have for the next few years.

P.S. after you have had it for a few months and get more stuff on the HD you might notice the beachball appearing alot and the system slowing down...def will want to upgrade to more RAM.

cepler
Oct 28, 2005, 03:57 PM
I put 4 larger rubber feet from an HP 2650 switch on the bottom of my 15" PB I bought Sunday just 'cause I had'em on my desk. gives it a 1/4" or so space on the bottom for cooling. Maybe I should sell these for $50 to Mac users... :-P I'm sure I have tons more of these laying around from all our switch deployments....heh..

generik
Oct 28, 2005, 04:01 PM
I put 4 larger rubber feet from an HP 2650 switch on the bottom of my 15" PB I bought Sunday just 'cause I had'em on my desk. gives it a 1/4" or so space on the bottom for cooling. Maybe I should sell these for $50 to Mac users... :-P I'm sure I have tons more of these laying around from all our switch deployments....heh..

Wouldn't the feet severely warp your PB in the long term? Since you are exerting force on the laptop's keyboard, and at the same time they are actually suspended milimetres off the desk by those rubber feet... :confused:

Greenone
Oct 28, 2005, 05:05 PM
I JUST got my PB. It doesn't wobble but the lid has a slight gap in it when it's closed, in the front right hand corner only. If I press down on it, the front left corner lifts up a little. It's very slight but I don't want to get worse problems further down the line, such as the case is with so many pb owners: lids stop closing, latches stop working, etc.

Any thoughts?

Alone2Gether
Oct 30, 2005, 10:46 PM
when it is closed, the powerbook doesn't wobble. But when I open the screen more than 45 degrees, the front left side raises above the surface a little bit and I can feel it when I rest my wrist on it. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Counterfit
Oct 30, 2005, 11:44 PM
I JUST got my PB. It doesn't wobble but the lid has a slight gap in it when it's closed, in the front right hand corner only. If I press down on it, the front left corner lifts up a little. It's very slight but I don't want to get worse problems further down the line, such as the case is with so many pb owners: lids stop closing, latches stop working, etc.

Any thoughts?
It's the "smile," a slight curvature of the display. Intentional, and nothing to worry about.

Alone2Gether
Oct 31, 2005, 02:34 PM
Nevermind, I found out it was the desk. Whew.

Hope yours get fixed soon.

broncoball
Dec 30, 2005, 02:33 AM
I had the same problem with my 12 inch powerbook, so i took it into the genious bar and they took it to the back and fixed it and wouldnt tell me what they did.

BENJMNS
Jan 9, 2006, 07:56 AM
my new 17" has this battery where it moves around. it doesn't stay stationary.

you can push the battery up and down. is this simply a battery swap or is the actual unit the problem?

tuartboy
Jan 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
I had the same problem with my 12 inch powerbook, so i took it into the genious bar and they took it to the back and fixed it and wouldnt tell me what they did.
i wouldn't tell you if i bent your computer either...

Daeman
Jan 10, 2006, 08:22 AM
hey,
like many other people i had a wobble with my 12" powerbook... well thats what i would have said yesterday. today it has mysteriously dissapeared, which is very pleaseing to me. lol damn strange. i reseated battery with no effect and i swear it didnt wobble when i bought it. i carried it around alot today which i think has fixed it. rather odd...

fozy
Jan 31, 2006, 09:04 AM
I puchased my 12" powerbook way more than 90 days ago (but within a year)and it's wobbled since day one, assumed I would have to live with it. I'm happy to hear apple has been accommodating this problem.

slinky0390
Mar 2, 2006, 07:03 PM
i thought i was the only one.. lol, mine wobbled but i came to the conclusion that it was my desk that was slightly warped.

bookofjames
Mar 2, 2006, 07:55 PM
I think this wobbling is very common for the 12" PBs. Mine does too. Wish there was something I could do w/o sending it back to Apple.

NateP
Mar 14, 2006, 08:16 AM
I had the same problem with my 12 PB, and the screen was also a bit pushed back (in the closed position). The two problems together were causing my casing to pull away a bit in a couple of places, so I sent it in. The screen has been replaced and that's solved, but it's still warped a bit (I think mostly due to surfaces and not the PB), but they didn't fix the places where the casing has pulled away a bit.

I'm thinking of sending it back once more and perhaps even asking for a straight-up replacement.

fozy
Apr 3, 2006, 02:48 PM

Apple has given me a really hard time, requesting I take it to a service center 4 hours away. When I eventually ended up in an Apple store, they said I have to send it in, there's nothing they can do. Arrrggg!!!
Still wobbling

Sweetfeld28
Apr 3, 2006, 03:26 PM
I didn't notice the wobble until a couple of weekes after i had bought my 12" PB from a guy on eBay. Does anyone think that i should call them to see if i could get mine fixed?

I should tell you that the powerbook arrived without having two of the rubber feet on the bottom. So, i called Apple and sent me the rubber feet, which are covered by my Applecare. I was thinking that these feet maybe the reason that the PB sits uneven, but could/am I wrong?

fozy
Apr 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
Great news

Sweetfeld28
Apr 5, 2006, 07:26 PM
Well, i was on campus yesterday, and i decided to call Apple about my wobbling Pbook. The tech i talked to said he didn't think that the feet would have anything to do with the PB sitting unlevel. So, he ended up telling me to send it in, or stop by an Apple store. Since i have had deal with a couple of Apple salesmen before, i told him i would rather just send it in for repairs.

So, a box is being shipped to me, for shipment back to them. It should be here tomorrow. Yay.