PDA

View Full Version : Just got my new, higher-resolution 15" powerbook... sideTrack is broken

infect
Oct 27, 2005, 02:52 PM
From ragingmenace.com
Well it looks like Apple will be keeping me busy this month... Early indications are that Apple has changed pad hardware again in new 15" and 17" PowerBooks released last week (October 19, 2005). SideTrack will install on these machines but will not operate properly (unreliable tracking). Based on preliminary reports the changes are minor and should not take long to fix once Apple ships me a new machine. I'm working on an update and will announce something as soon as I am able.

I've brought this up before on this forum, but never really found a good solution.

Does anyone know of another way to simply map the hardware mouse-button to right-click? I really miss this about sideTrack, but on the other hand, the two finger scrolling on the new powerbooks is way better than the side-scrolling feature in sidetrack. All I really want to change is the mouse button.... I can live without the extras. I've tried ControllerMate but it will also map the track-pad tap to right-click which effectively makes it completely useless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

munkle
Oct 27, 2005, 03:07 PM
Check out iScroll (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17240) :)

Bear
Oct 27, 2005, 03:18 PM
Check out iScroll (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17240) :)iScroll is not needed and won't work on the new PowerBooks. To quote the iScroll readme: Scroll2 is a modified trackpad driver that adds two-finger scrolling capabilities to supported pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks on OS X 10.3. Supported models include aluminum PowerBooks introduced from 2003 to 2004 as well as all G4 iBooks.

Bear
Oct 27, 2005, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know of another way to simply map the hardware mouse-button to right-click?
...Might I recommend that you live with it?

Nermal
Oct 27, 2005, 03:31 PM
That's not much of a solution :eek:

infect
Oct 27, 2005, 11:49 PM
Might I recommend that you live with it?

Excuse me?

Think of a tool... a tool you use every day to be more productive. Now think of not having that tool. Would you want to just "live with it?"

2nyRiggz
Oct 27, 2005, 11:52 PM
Might I recommend that you live with it?

wow that was nice of you.

Nermal
Oct 28, 2005, 01:06 AM
Getting back on topic, with a 2-button mouse, you can swap the buttons. Changing the option in the GUI would probably update a plist with this new setting. Then maybe if you use the trackpad, the button will still be "swapped". I'm not guaranteeing anything (I don't have a laptop anymore), but try plugging in a standard mouse and swapping the buttons (Sys Prefs > KB & Mouse > Mouse), and see whether it "swaps" the trackpad too.