Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
What do you guys think? I really want to get one for mostly Lightroom and Photoshop work. Should I wait until June for any possible updates?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
What do you guys think? I really want to get one for mostly Lightroom and Photoshop work. Should I wait until June for any possible updates?
As far as i know, PS and Lightroom are not optimized for Haswell. A 2.6 GHz QuadCore i7 (Ivy Bridge) should be enough (+ 16 GB RAM (Crucial or Kingston)).

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
No Haswell cpu has been released minis come after the cpu is released

(most of the time). This means no 2013 mini in JUNE.

Now if you really want to run a lot of video and video work gaming etc is big the 2012 mini is only okay.

If you are more into audio ,net surfing or cpu intensive programs the 2012 quad is great.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Your estimate of when new Minis will arrive is overly optimistic.

I would not expect them until late this year (4th quarter), or more likely 1st quarter 2014.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
IMO there will be a Mac Mini (and iMac) update in 2013 but it's hard to say when this is will happen.

Best advice is if you don't 'need' it right now then wait but you could be waiting another 6 months for them.

At the most it's likely to be a modest CPU speed upgrade and not much more, maybe 10% faster. So the best advice is if you want a faster Mini now then get a 27" iMac with i7.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Mini's have a hardware change update history of about 500 days. In between, only speedbumps. So Haswell is something for early 2014.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
My guess is the mini will be updated at the same time as the MP, and I'm also picking an updated TBD too, (less reflective screen, USB3 and Falcon Ridge).

Last edited:

Vidivici

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Europe
IMO there will be a Mac Mini (and iMac) update in 2013 but it's hard to say when this is will happen.

Best advice is if you don't 'need' it right now then wait but you could be waiting another 6 months for them.

At the most it's likely to be a modest CPU speed upgrade and not much more, maybe 10% faster. So the best advice is if you want a faster Mini now then get a 27" iMac with i7.

That's for the most part BS ...
Yes , cpu power will just increase slightly.
And to be fair spoken , the cpu power is sufficient already.

The real advantage will be the GPU power increase !
The Haswell generation will bring much better intel graphics.
And its THAT what most mac mini buyers are waiting for !

Not all of mac users fancy that all glued glossy imac .
Surely not me , next mac will be the mini

That's for the most part BS ...
Yes , cpu power will just increase slightly.
And to be fair spoken , the cpu power is sufficient already.

The real advantage will be the GPU power increase !
The Haswell generation will bring much better intel graphics.
And its THAT what most mac mini buyers are waiting for !

Quite agree with you about glossy iMacs, esp re the 21.5" models. Regarding Haswell: I'm hopeful, but as it's down to Apple, I take nothing for granted. Some speculation suggests Haswell will be close to 650M. That'd be impressive. In which case, I'd probably buy it to realize a significant upgrade on my 2011 Mini's HD 6630M.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51307-...graphics-are-on-par-with-geforce-gt-650m.html

However, others are more skeptical, with many suggesting that Apple will almost certainly gimp any major graphical increase for the Mini now until, maybe, at least Haswell's superior successor, the Skylake chipset. Latter probably won't be seen until well into 2014. I feel that the latter scenario seems more likely to play out here.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
That's why I got Apple Care.

Each to their own, but my point still stands if you need one then get it now. If you can hold off then you are likely in for a more than a 6 month wait for the next model Mac Mini.

I like the Mini and was looking at one but couldn't go past the 27" beauty sitting on my desk. They both have their advantages.

Oh and with the Mini if the trend continues then you might be loosing the FireWire ports on the next update, so you need to take that into account when making a choice.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Haswell will come in many flavours. With the not-so-big-increase HD4200 to much better Iris Pro 5200 GPU.
But again, think more like January/February.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I don't expect Apple to bump the GPU power of the Minis significantly, because this would threaten their iMac sales.

Even if Haswell will deliver far better GPUs they'll wait to ship it with the next Minis until the iMac's GPU is again significantly more powerful. This would be a typical marketing-driven move.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I don't expect Apple to bump the GPU power of the Minis significantly, because this would threaten their iMac sales.

Even if Haswell will deliver far better GPUs they'll wait to ship it with the next Minis until the iMac's GPU is again significantly more powerful. This would be a typical marketing-driven move.

Not that this should be taken without a grain of salt, but wasn't it Jobs who said, "if we don't cannibalize our own products, someone else will."

I know that the laptop line is designed to push spec whores (like me, I'm not trying to offend) toward the 15 rMBP, and that the mini-iMac line tries this as well, but if they don't sell a good desktop, someone will.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Flip a coin? Sometimes they update the Mini at about the same time as the MacBooks and sometimes they wait a few months.

If you need or want it now, get it. if not wait.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I could be wrong but apple updates the mini last after the laptops and iMacs. I'd say we may not see haswell based minis for a while. That said if you need one now, get it.

MacPrometheus

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Earth
I have decided to get a mini this go around instead of a Mac Pro. I will be waiting either way until december so why not wait and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.