PDA

View Full Version : ibook G4 fan

mikey12784
Oct 28, 2005, 12:22 AM
anyway to make this turn on earlier? this thing gets damn hot before the fan turns on, i think it would last longer, and it would be less painful to have on your lap if it would cool down a little more. maybe in some setting or something somewhere? if not, apple should release a software patch that allows you to set teh fan to go off at a certain temp (i would have it @ 50c or thereabouts) right now this thing feels like its gettin to around 60-70

EricNau
Oct 28, 2005, 01:39 AM
anyway to make this turn on earlier? this thing gets damn hot before the fan turns on, i think it would last longer, and it would be less painful to have on your lap if it would cool down a little more. maybe in some setting or something somewhere? if not, apple should release a software patch that allows you to set teh fan to go off at a certain temp (i would have it @ 50c or thereabouts) right now this thing feels like its gettin to around 60-70
I don't know of a way, and I doubt there is easily. If people started controlling things like this, stuff would start to break (ie: user puts fan temp for 175 C, computer melted).
If you know Unix, there probably is a way - but now I'm getting into an area I know nothing about.

mikey12784
Oct 28, 2005, 02:37 AM
well there is some code somewhere in the machine that tells the damn fan when to turn on, all i want them to do is make it at a lower degree point, the damn thing just gets too hot, too hot for my liking, i mean it hasn't crashed yet, but i dont want the components to die early deaths because its so hot. thanks! Mike.

California
Oct 28, 2005, 02:41 AM
well there is some code somewhere in the machine that tells the damn fan when to turn on, all i want them to do is make it at a lower degree point, the damn thing just gets too hot, too hot for my liking, i mean it hasn't crashed yet, but i dont want the components to die early deaths because its so hot. thanks! Mike.

Get the iBook up on a stand -- i use a Macally icepad as a lapdesk and for desktop -- which has airflow channels. You are right about heat wearing out the components.

BTW, I might have 512 pc2100 chip for you. Gotta get it out.

mikey12784
Oct 29, 2005, 12:24 PM
yea i could def. use more ram ;). lmk if your gonna be selling yours! Mike.

Peter Griffin
Nov 13, 2005, 10:09 AM
Damn so there's no way to manually set the fan? My iBook can climb upwards of 63 C just streaming videos online. The thing gets damn hot and I can't imagine how PB users must cope with this.