Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Okay, so I'm most of the way through development of a Javascript web-app which support all major browsers. However, I'm planning to create native wrappers for iOS, Android, OS X etc. to try to make operations like saving files easier.

Currently the app uses web storage on most platforms, but will use WebSQL for speed on supported browsers, which should mean that iOS' WebKit is fine.

However, the landscape for actually saving files from Javascript is a bit of a mess right now, so I'm wondering what people's thoughts are for saving a file in a simple Webkit app container?

I was thinking maybe of somehow opening the WebSQL database before the app quits, and then dumping it into a suitable file format to provide saving, either as raw SQL create and insert commands or some XML format. I'll then use checksums or such to determine whether I need to reload the file or if the WebSQL database is in-sync.

Of course it's typical that I went the route of doing the thing as a web-app to keep things simple and compatible, but that everything I need to do has current compatibility issues across nearly every browser ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.