PDA

View Full Version : 5G iPod + InvisibleSHEILD (Pictures)

macguymike
Oct 30, 2005, 10:48 AM
Here are the "after" pics. I'll post the before pics as well, for comparison. My apologies for the poor quality/lighting on these. My little 3MP camera can only do so much.

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/0003xa6f

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/0003y3tw

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/0003z1h1

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/00040r1s

macguymike
Oct 30, 2005, 10:55 AM
Apologies again for the lighting... and for the file size. Forgot to fix the settings on my camera for easier 'net consumption yesterday and well, it's too late now.

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/00041dct/s640x480

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/000420aa/s640x480

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/00045w50/s640x480

http://pics.livejournal.com/digitaldraco/pic/0004413e/s640x480

bepster
Oct 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
wow, looks great... just a little question, how does it work with the wheel?

...and does anybody know, where I can get this in sweden?

puckhead193
Oct 30, 2005, 11:03 AM
the first before picture looks nice, good lighting... good framing....

macguymike
Oct 30, 2005, 11:05 AM
The InvisibleSHEILD requires a lot of patience to apply. Especially the back side. The tabs (visible in the second pic from the top) that fold over the corners are not perfect, and sometimes you will need to hold them in place for a while before they'll stick properly. I'm also curious to see how well those tabs and the edges stay applied after normal usage (in and out of my pocket, backpack, etc.).

Took me just over an hour to get the thing set to my liking, and I ended up using a couple large books (Dante's Divine Comedy and the 9/11 Commission Report) to pin the tabs down while they dried.

I'm left with a 1/2" air bubble on the left-hand back edge that I failed to notice but it's not that big of a deal.

Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the results. It looks good. I may end up removing the part covering my click-wheel, though. I'm not sure I like the texture of the IS for that but I'll see how it works in practice.

You can see on the "before" pictures that my iPod did pick up a few scratches on the back side and over the screen before I applied the IS. These are only noticable if you tilt the iPod at the right angle and catch the right light. Also, I was very careful about handling my iPod only on the sides and never placing it anywhere other than in the pouch it came with or on top of said pouch, so the scratches can only have come from sliding it in and out of there.

Also, you can see that the back side (near the bottom) was already picking up fingerprints. I used my RadTech PowerBook sleeve to wipe them off and it caused no further scratching.

If you really like the pouch, the iPod still fits inside of it with the IS on.

I'd give it 4/5.

snowmoon
Oct 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
My results were very similar... most of my time was spent on the back of the unit trying to get everything to line up since there is no edges on the back to line up. Took me about an hour as well.

puckhead193
Oct 30, 2005, 11:40 AM
i wish it was like a static cling thing like the car sticker thingys

kuruptr
Oct 30, 2005, 11:42 AM
I had to opposite problem, back was EASY, front was a pain in the ass. I wanted PERFECTION!

RBilRamZ
Oct 30, 2005, 12:59 PM

...and does anybody know, where I can get this in sweden?

the protectionover the click wheel is removable. i installed mine with no protection over the click wheel. i like how this looks better because you can still see the texture difference between the two materials.
it also took me about an hour to apply, but i was very meticulous. i have no air bubbles, and it looks perfect. if you are willing to take your time, these things are fantastic.

kugino
Oct 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
just ordered the nano version for my wife...she hates most covers b/c they're ugly - this includes ALL silicon-type skins and most of the leather ones...she liked the idea of the IS...looking forward to putting it on for her.

maddav
Oct 30, 2005, 04:46 PM
the protectionover the click wheel is removable. i installed mine with no protection over the click wheel. i like how this looks better because you can still see the texture difference between the two materials.
it also took me about an hour to apply, but i was very meticulous. i have no air bubbles, and it looks perfect. if you are willing to take your time, these things are fantastic.

Just to clarify. what do you mean by removable, is this a job that I'll be doing with my craft knife?

Thanks! :)

solinent
Oct 30, 2005, 05:06 PM
It's hold onto it and pull as i've heard it.

And how long did it take to come for you guys? I also heard that the texture goes away after a few weeks. On their website it still says new order, but I got the free shippage.

Guess I'll have to wait for mine to come in. And can you tell me why it was hard to put on: also, could I ruin mine by putting on, and taking off because it's not ok? And how much soapy water do I put on?

To get scratches off - brasso works, just takes a long time, just apply with small pressure, or you'll get millions of tiny scratches.

Can't wait for mine to come in, I'm planning to re-Brasso it, then put the cover on once the Brasso is dried.

Heh..I'll time myself.

JDOG_
Oct 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
I would love it if a company would come out offering to coat iPods in that stuff TDK invented. I'd gladly drop $20-30 to get it done if it meant a super tough surface all over with no extra bulk.

p0intblank
Oct 30, 2005, 10:28 PM
Wow! What a nice shield! It doesn't look it is on there... obviously, hence the name. :p I'll definitely look into getting one of these since I plan to get a 5G iPod soon.

MmmPancakes
Oct 30, 2005, 10:33 PM
Has anyone used this on the 4g 20gb color that might make a recommendation?

Ferrence
Oct 30, 2005, 10:57 PM
I just took these photos of my black 60 gb, and they're kinda rough. It was extremely tough to take these photos (with the lighting, and in focus, etc.).

I will try again tomorrow... too tired.

G5Unit
Oct 30, 2005, 10:59 PM
I just took these photos of my black 60 gb, and they're kinda rough. It was extremely tough to take these photos (with the lighting, and in focus, etc.).

I will try again tomorrow... too tired.
They're not bad, I find it hard to do the same thing. Anyways, how does it feel? Rough? Or is it really smooth?

Ferrence
Oct 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
They're not bad, I find it hard to do the same thing. Anyways, how does it feel? Rough? Or is it really smooth?

It's got kind of a "tacky" feel too it. Not sticky tho. But easy to grip. Really glad I put this on.

powerbook911
Oct 31, 2005, 12:30 AM
Do you have to put the back part? I only wanted the front protected.

Chaszmyr
Oct 31, 2005, 12:38 AM
Do you have to put the back part? I only wanted the front protected.

No, but I think the back part looks nice when covered with an invisible shield.

macguymike
Oct 31, 2005, 02:13 AM
No, but I think the back part looks nice when covered with an invisible shield.

Correct. Also, the back is much more prone to attracting fingerprints and scratches than the front (in my short experience w/o an IS).

macguymike
Oct 31, 2005, 02:16 AM

It works just fine. The wheel's not as smooth as it would be without the IS applied, but there is very little resistance and I've had no problem scrolling through my menus.

macguymike
Oct 31, 2005, 02:18 AM
Just to clarify. what do you mean by removable, is this a job that I'll be doing with my craft knife?

Thanks! :)

It comes pre-cut. All you have to do is poke it out from the main body of the plastic sheet.

macguymike
Oct 31, 2005, 02:23 AM
Guess I'll have to wait for mine to come in. And can you tell me why it was hard to put on: also, could I ruin mine by putting on, and taking off because it's not ok? And how much soapy water do I put on?

The difficulty in applying the IS was in the allignment and getting the side-tabs to stay down. The back is especially tricky (for me) because of the rounded edges.

As long as you re-moisten the IS, there's no harm in pulling it off and re-applying during the initial application. I did that a couple times for both sides. Once it is on and dry, though, my understanding is that's it unless you want to buy a new one.

I'd recommend a very small bit of soap and 5oz. of water. You really won't need more than that, and the less you use, the less trouble you'll have with air bubbles, I think.

macguymike
Oct 31, 2005, 02:24 AM

Looks good! I've been hoping to see a black 5G. Very slick. :cool:

iDM
Nov 2, 2005, 07:30 PM
My invisibleshield is on, i had no difficulty fitting it to the back, it glided easily and after application the back does not have a scratch(i didn't even take it out of the case before the IS arrived) so i'm assuming the back will look as nice whenever the shield comes off if ever. The front however is a different story. There are no large bubbles but i do have tiny tiny bubbles around all of the edges, so small that i'm not sure my digital camera will even pick up. I know they are there so it is kinda of annoying, my other annoyance is the fact the center IS is larger then the button so when you press down the select button in the center the shield kind of lifts up, anyone else experience this problem? I know it is not an alignment problem because the IS is to large all around. I'll take some pics if no one understands. I think what i might do is pull out a fresh razor blade and do some trimming myself.(Not with it on my iPod of course)

I have installed tint on a few cars and although this stuff is much more durable and does not easily tear, i have found that the bubbles are extremely difficult to work out around the edges. I use to use a hair dryer in areas to shrink the tint very slightly to eliminate those hairpin bubbles does anyone think that might work with this?

unten44
Nov 3, 2005, 04:51 PM
I took a lot of hi-res video footage of my 60gb black iPod... I had to lower the quality a little for bandwidth issues but here it is nonetheless:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=159380