PDA

View Full Version : What? (iMac screen fuzzy)

zap2
Oct 30, 2005, 12:32 PM
Ok i went to the bath room and my iMac fell asleep and i came back and found its screen all fuzzy and werid i took a screen shot and put it back to sleep and now it back to normal. Werid ,its a REV A iMac g5. The screen Shot i took when it was all fuzzy show the Screen being normal. I'm i going crazy?

londonweb
Oct 30, 2005, 12:34 PM
Ok i went to the bath room and my iMac fell asleep and i came back and found its screen all fuzzy and werid i took a screen shot and put it back to sleep and now it back to normal. Werid ,its a REV A iMac g5. The screen Shot i took when it was all fuzzy show the Screen being normal. I'm i going crazy?

How hot did you have your bath?

FFTT
Oct 30, 2005, 12:44 PM
I would call in a case report to Apple on your Rev A iMac immediately.

There have been countless problems with the midplane board capacitors
failing after about 6 months of use.

The first indication of this problem is glitches showing on your display.

Apple is quietly replacing the motherboards on these defective units, so cover your a$$ by making a report.

alexprice
Oct 30, 2005, 12:57 PM
The is also a warranty extension program on these boards.

zap2
Oct 30, 2005, 02:34 PM
How hot did you have your bath?

I did not even take a bath !!:eek:

Wow thanks for tell me! But if took a screenshot of it why would it appear as if it was normal?

zap2
Oct 30, 2005, 02:48 PM
The is also a warranty extension program on these boards.

Were could i find that(any place one Apple.com?)

Danksi
Oct 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
I did not even take a bath !!:eek:

Wow thanks for tell me! But if took a screenshot of it why would it appear as if it was normal?

Could it be that the screen shot function takes it from inside the video card, where as what you see is on the screen. If the fuzziness problem is between the video card output and the screen, then it wouldn't show up in the screen shot (which may make it tricky showing the Applecare people what's happening).

ITASOR
Oct 30, 2005, 03:03 PM
Could it be that the screen shot function takes it from inside the video card, where as what you see is on the screen. If the fuzziness problem is between the video card output and the screen, then it wouldn't show up in the screen shot (which may make it tricky showing the Applecare people what's happening).

Right, just like a dead pixel, or even if you take a CRT's picture adjustments and distort the picture won't show in a screen shot.

londonweb
Oct 30, 2005, 03:06 PM

That's exactly what would happen- the screen shot software just makes an image out of the data being sent to the screen at the time. Sounds like physical (ie. hardware) problem.

FFTT
Oct 30, 2005, 06:51 PM
My friend in Au took his 1.8 GHz 20" into repair and they ended up replacing
the entire motherboard including a processor upgrade and the 128MB GPU,
so I'd not mess around.

zap2
Oct 30, 2005, 07:36 PM
My friend in Au took his 1.8 GHz 20" into repair and they ended up replacing
the entire motherboard including a processor upgrade and the 128MB GPU,
so I'd not mess around.

:eek: :D upgrade!! i think i'll be taking it to my local store!

jimmyjjames
Oct 31, 2005, 06:35 PM
I had the same problem, it looked like someone was shaking my screen. I called Apple, even though my warranty ended a week ago and they said there was a number of iMac G5s with problems with their main board. Anyways they directed me to this web address:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

They also got me to open up my computer to take a look at the board and a couple capacitors had ruptured and were oozing some yellow stuff. Take a look at the photo.

I suggest based on the reaction of the Apple support staff when I told them the capacitors were oozing and there were two ready to burst, you should probably call Apple and or take it in to get fixed.

mjstew33
Oct 31, 2005, 07:11 PM
I hope nothin like this happens with the Rev. C's cause these are like Rev As, but not...

zap2
Oct 31, 2005, 08:19 PM
jimmyjjames , i owe you one. I looked at those things and one was had the foamish stuff. I'm taking her in weds or this weekend but until them i don't have a MAc to use!:eek:

Well thanks

I'll check MacRumors with my PC.(i know its a PC but for MR i'll do it)

jimmyjjames
Nov 2, 2005, 03:19 PM
Just got a hold of the Apple Certified Repair shop that I took my computer to. They have to replace the whole logic board is what they said, but the rub is that there is a back log of people waiting for the same repair. So they cannot guarantee that I will have my computer back anytime soon.