PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors Launches 'Mac Guides'

MacRumors
Oct 30, 2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The new MacRumors Guide pages (http://guides.macrumors.com) are a companion to the MacRumors website (http://www.macrumors.com) and forums (http://forums.macrumors.com). The Guide pages are based on the MediaWiki (http://www.mediawiki.org) software which drives the popular Wikipedia encyclopedia (http://www.wikipedia.org). The software is designed to provide a collaborative environment for users to continuously edit entries to provide both accurate and up to date information about the many topics.

The purpose of these Guide pages is not to provide another comprehensive encyclopedia website, or even a general Mac encyclopedia. Instead it is meant to provide an organized outlet for the vast amounts of knowledge that is provided in the forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/).

The Guide pages can be found from the "Guides" tab in the navigation tabs near the top of the page, or directly through http://guides.macrumors.com.

Beyond tutorials and how to's, we also expect to host detailed product pages for the most recent Apple releases. These topic pages will be created as products are released (such as the PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2005) (http://guides.macrumors.com/PowerMac_G5_Dual_Core_%282005%29) and will be kept up to date as new information rolls in about configurations, photos, benchmarks, problems and more.

For those unfamiliar with the Wiki software, we have some help pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Contents) to get you started.

Of note, we are restricting the ability to edit content to registered forum users. All users who were registered prior to October 29th, 2005 will have full editing rights, however, any new registrations beyond that time will need to achieve a 20 post minimum in the forums prior to being able to edit. The reason for this is to prevent spamming/abuse issues. See How to Register and Login (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:How_to_Register_and_Login) for more details.

For questions and discussion about the Mac Guide pages, we have also opened up a new Mac Guides forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82) to discuss any issues.

Lacero
Oct 30, 2005, 02:30 PM
Great job. This will be an invaluable resource for information. This certainly will raise the signal-to-noise ratio in the forums and provide timely, accurate information.

MacDawg
Oct 30, 2005, 02:30 PM
Glad to see it "go live"
I think it will be an awesome addition to MR

Thanks arn

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

russed
Oct 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
this is a really cool addition and will hopefully carry on the good work that was done by the "how to's" and will hopefully stop the repetative questions etc.

what i would say is could the tab to it be made more obvious so that people looking for an answer will think to look there first. or maybe put a bit link at the top of hte pagE?

GilGrissom
Oct 30, 2005, 02:38 PM
This looks excellent. I'm sure it will be an invaluable resource and very interesting read. I look forward to watching it grow.

Thank You MR! :)

yoak
Oct 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
Great news.
I have been checking out the work on Wiki on OSX already, and it seems that alot can be done. With the amount of knowledge floating around here, it will be great help

Agent Smith
Oct 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
What an awesome idea! Saves people from sifting through forums (on MR and elsewhere) to find the info they need. On my very cursory glance of the page, it looks really good! Thanks a bunch!

Over Achiever
Oct 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
I look forward to contributing, and reading other's contributions.

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
this is a really cool addition and will hopefully carry on the good work that was done by the "how to's" and will hopefully stop the repetative questions etc.

what i would say is could the tab to it be made more obvious so that people looking for an answer will think to look there first. or maybe put a bit link at the top of hte pagE?

Am working on more tight integration with the forum.

arn

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 02:41 PM
If you're unfamiliar with wikis the movie linked to at the bottom of this page (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Contents) is recommended. It's actually quite interesting in any case.

AmbitiousLemon
Oct 30, 2005, 02:41 PM
ok people, lets get to work fleshing out the wiki!

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 02:44 PM
This is going to really be a great thing, I can't tell you how many times I've been to Wikipedia to look something up about Apple.

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 02:45 PM
We also have a proper FAQ, finally

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ

also user editable. So you don't have to ask me to add a common issue. Will link it more prominently soon.

arn

Diatribe
Oct 30, 2005, 02:48 PM
Pretty sweet. How about a Mac basics and troubleshooting and a 3rd party hardware category in addition to the existing? I'll have to start and convert my Mac Starter Guide into this thing. Really nice, great work Arn.

arn
This is going to really be a great thing, I can't tell you how many times I've been to Wikipedia to look something up about Apple.

I think Wikipedia does a great job... and this certainly isn't meant to replace it - but certainly, topics will get a different and more detailed treatment coming from a Mac user perspective.

As a for instance, the Guide pages have only been unofficially up for a few days really, and there's pictures and a topic on iTunes 1.0

http://guides.macrumors.com/ITunes_1

which I find very interesting.

arn

afields
wow. very nice. :)

mrpaperknife
Oct 30, 2005, 02:53 PM
Great idea! I'm really excited about this new feature. Any thing that makes trouble shooting less troublesome.

My suggestion is that perhaps Guide entries could some how be integrated with forum search results. Many people may be familure with how to search forums for answers to questions, so it would be a convient redirection to the guides for such searchers.

hyperpasta
Oct 30, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hey arn, what's the license on this? Creative Commons?

I've been working on another Mac OS X wiki (see the sig), and although the two projects are different, It would be nice if we could copy one another. For instance, the Mac OS X Wikibook already has a complete (save pictures) chapter on The Dock. Likewise, I expect more information/images to appear here that would be great on the wikibook.

hyperpasta
Oct 30, 2005, 02:54 PM
My suggestion is that perhaps Guide entries could some how be integrated with forum search results. Many people may be familure with how to search forums for answers to questions, so it would be a convient redirection to the guides for such searchers.

I second that motion!

stridey
Oct 30, 2005, 02:55 PM
Excellent. It's great to see a venue where our collective knowledge can really shine in a way that sometimes gets buried in the forums. :D

Diatribe
Oct 30, 2005, 02:56 PM
It would also be nice if the MR Buyers Guide would be user editable since it seems kinda outdated...

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
It would also be nice if the MR Buyers Guide would be user editable since it seems kinda outdated...

ya, I will work on somehow integrating the buyers guide with the wiki. It's a bit harder because the timeline is automatically generated. but we'll see how it works.

arn

rosalindavenue
Oct 30, 2005, 03:04 PM
This is a great idea. There is some really high-level knowledge on this forum, and it ought to be collected in wiki form. I know this was a lot of work, but I think the results will be excellent.

camomac
Oct 30, 2005, 03:05 PM
Thank you Arn!

This is a great idea, and I am sure that the community as a whole will benefit from all the knowledge that is on this on this site!

rhapsycats
Oct 30, 2005, 03:16 PM
This is pretty exciting. I am sure that this will be one of the first places that I turn to for information.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 03:19 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks on top of everyone else's arn, I think this is great and ill be an invaluable resource for many members here. Hopefully newbies will be made well aware of the guides as well, as to help alleviate a lot of the standard newbie questions which seemed to get asked repeatedly. This is going to be a great repository of knowledge for MacRumors and is definitely an excellent augmentation to the site. Great work. :cool:

goodtimes5
Oct 30, 2005, 03:23 PM
I applaud such efforts to finally organize all the great information that's been given out on these boards.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Oct 30, 2005, 03:30 PM
Looks very good!

Hopefully this, eventually, will be a complete source of knowledge for newbies and 601's alike. :)

Now, maybe much of the helpful advice and how-tos from some of the excellent, but somewhat hard to find, sticky threads from the forums can be gathered in one easy to find place.

Mr.Hey
Oct 30, 2005, 03:37 PM
I glance over at my RSS folder and see that Mac Rumors has an active story. I click on it thinking, man it's been a while since this site has posted any kind of rumor. And what do I see when it shows up...:rolleyes: Nice known ya MR got to go.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 03:47 PM
I glance over at my RSS folder and see that Mac Rumors has an active story. I click on it thinking, man it's been a while since this site has posted any kind of rumor. And what do I see when it shows up...:rolleyes: Nice known ya MR got to go.

I glance over at my mail client and see that a MacRumors thread I have been following has been replied to. I click on it thinking, man what constructive, beneficial, useful comment has been posted this time? And what do I see when I log in... :rolleyes: Nice knowing ya Mr. Hey, got to go. :p :cool:

bug
Oct 30, 2005, 03:51 PM
This is great - thanks so much for setting this up!

Blue Velvet
Oct 30, 2005, 03:56 PM
What a wonderful resource and a truly insanely great idea.

Now who's going to start the 3rd-party software entry on Windows? :)

Zoowatch
Oct 30, 2005, 04:03 PM
glad that wikipedia is taken off well...

it is going to be a really powerful resource centre on the internet

it used to be the case that when i needed to find out something... i had to use Encarta or Britannica... now... these 2 encyclopaedia really lags behind wiki...

russed
Oct 30, 2005, 04:10 PM
Am working on more tight integration with the forum.

arn

that should be really cool. i can see this being really really useful.

i can see this making the forums less repitive, with the usual questions now being dealt with by this now and making the forums all the more interesing!

this should make MR so much more useful and cool!

VanMac
Oct 30, 2005, 04:15 PM
Good job boys/girls. Keep up the good work!

mobility3
Oct 30, 2005, 04:17 PM
A fantastic although quite logical idea!!
For me this will help cut through a lot of the surplus info that you have to dig through on the forums in order to get what you want.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 04:19 PM
I've only ever used Wikipedia before, never contributed to any articles. Now that MacRumors has set up these guides, I may have to give myself a crash course in creating and editing content as well! :)

TMA
Oct 30, 2005, 04:21 PM
I really like this!

I've made a few additions to some of the Guides on there already. I seem to be one of the few people to be doing it though, and it makes me wonder if i'm doing the right thing. :o

hyperpasta
Oct 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
I already posted this, I know, but I want to beat the flood of posts when the thread explodes and make sure I get an answer:

IS THIS PROEJCT CREATIVE COMMONS???

Not meaning to sound rude, btw. It just really affects the wikibook I'm working on, because since the two overlap, people could freely copy information from one to the other (the wikibook is starting to develop and in a few topics are pretty complete).

hyperpasta
Oct 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
I've only ever used Wikipedia before, never contributed to any articles. Now that MacRumors has set up these guides, I may have to give myself a crash course in creating and editing content as well! :)

WikiMarkup is (thankfully) as easy as vBulletin forum markup. In fact, they'er very similar.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 04:23 PM
I really like this!

I've made a few additions to some of the Guides on there already. I seem to be one of the few people to be doing it though, and it makes me wonder if i'm doing the right thing. :o

Don't worry, it's going to be a bit of a learning experience for many of us, but the contributions will be appreciated regardless, and there are multiple comprehensive resources at our disposal as well to learn how to set things up and add/maintain content effectively and "properly". :)

Whistleway
Oct 30, 2005, 04:26 PM
I already posted this, I know, but I want to beat the flood of posts when the thread explodes and make sure I get an answer:

Not meaning to sound rude, btw. It just really affects the wikibook I'm working on, because since the two overlap, people could freely copy information from one to the other (the wikibook is starting to develop and in a few topics are pretty complete).

I am interested in knowing it too?

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 04:28 PM
I really like this!

As ~Shard~ said, don't worry about that. Just contribute as best as you can. If you happen to make a mistake along the way, as we all do from time to time, someone else will fix it. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

MontyZ

~Shard~
WikiMarkup is (thankfully) as easy as vBulletin forum markup. In fact, they'er very similar.

Yes, I've been having a look through the "Guide guides" ;) already on how to add content, and it does indeed look pretty straight forward. A bit of a learning curve, as with anything, but something I think I'll be able to get the hang of fairly quickly. :)

kainjow
Oct 30, 2005, 04:34 PM
This is a great idea, but, I'm confused ... is this somehow related to Wikipedia, or a totally stand-alone MR wiki?
Wikipedia and MacRumors:Guides are both based off the same software, thus the same similar appearance.

Shard.. if you can learn to format your posts on forums with BBCode, you can learn to format Wiki pages :)

bentley
Oct 30, 2005, 04:40 PM
Does the wiki software automatically capitalise the first letter of words or something? Bit of an arse for an Apple related website when the guide has entries called ITunes and IPod.

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 04:43 PM
Does the wiki software automatically capitalise the first letter of words or something? Bit of an arse for an Apple related website when the guide has entries called ITunes and IPod.

;)

Try not to worry too much about it. Just use lowercase i (or e) in the page text and I'm sure it'll work out just fine.

(And, yes, it will always capitalise the first letter).

Jesus
Oct 30, 2005, 04:45 PM
I haave added a Skype article, how do I make this show under the 3rd party apps category ??

Jesus

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 04:48 PM
I haave added a Skype article, how do I make this show under the 3rd party apps category ??

Jesus

Add [[Category:Third Party Software]] at the bottom.

If you're curious about things like this, take a peek at an existing page and look how it's been done.

Jesus
Oct 30, 2005, 04:49 PM
thanks

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 04:55 PM

I'm looking into the various licensing rights available.

arn

feffer37
Oct 30, 2005, 05:00 PM
This if fantastic!

Sorting though forums, not to mention the HUGE amount of realitivly unsorted info on Apple's Support Page gets old ;P I'm really looking forward to this :)

mjhamson
Oct 30, 2005, 05:15 PM
Will the file-database be available for offline use? like it is for the other mediaWiki projects? (since i have a great difficulty in connecting the internet, I keep the WikiBooks and Wikictionary on my local machine.... it is a godsend).

-Michael

mjstew33
Oct 30, 2005, 05:16 PM
I like the idea... good job MR!

:) :cool:

Stridder44
Oct 30, 2005, 05:21 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Entity79/PedoBearSeal.gif

Sweet

rockthecasbah
Oct 30, 2005, 05:21 PM
thanks MR, now the forums won't be flooded with people asking for help on simple fixes...well at least we can all hope:rolleyes:

hyperpasta
Oct 30, 2005, 05:34 PM

I personally favor the GNU Documentation license: it means intercopyability (my latest word) with Wikipedia.

Blackheart
Oct 30, 2005, 05:35 PM

arn

Might we just be able to use GNU Free Documentation License (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License) that Wikipedia uses?

runninmac
Oct 30, 2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks Arn! Another way to make the great site better

angelneo
Oct 30, 2005, 05:56 PM
Cool. I was looking through a couple of articles. Maybe a note to all future contributers, please write as professionally as possible as it sounds weird writing those as a story. Quoted from one of the articles titled "How to get mails from outlook to apple mail"

i did that for my girlfriends ibook today works pretty good

and you do not need any other program

TMA
Oct 30, 2005, 05:57 PM
I'm having too much fun with this, so I'm going to put it away and come back tomorrow morning! Looking at this list of recent changes it's all me me me me me me!

Come on people join the fun!

oliverlubin
Oct 30, 2005, 06:07 PM
great stuff. however, why is everything with the "i" name using a capital I? ITunes, IPod, IBook... it's kinda annoying having had the proper name/way of writing it drilled into our heads for SO long and then its written like this here.

is this a limitation of the Wiki where no title can start with a lowercase letter?

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 06:09 PM
is this a limitation of the Wiki where no title can start with a lowercase letter?

Yes.

yippy
Oct 30, 2005, 06:11 PM
Detailed specifications are already compiled in mactracker.ca. I wonder if there would be a way you could associate with each other. I would go about contacting the maker of that software but I know nothing about licensing nor were to put it in the Guides.

O.T. what happened to the "please enter the text for the URL" dialogue box? When I clicked to make a URL it only asked for the URL itself and made it the text and the link.

TMA
Oct 30, 2005, 06:23 PM
Yes.

I noticed you're going through and putting a disclaimer for each article that should begin with a lower case letter. Do you think that's really needed? It is a shame but I don't think it will lead to confusion if it's not explained.

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 06:34 PM
I noticed you're going through and putting a disclaimer for each article that should begin with a lower case letter. Do you think that's really needed? It is a shame but I don't think it will lead to confusion if it's not explained.

I'm not doing that ;) I only made a template and tested it out on one page. Personally, I don't really belive it's neccessary, since the real name is mentioned elsewhere on the page.

MaCaDDiCT21
Oct 30, 2005, 07:06 PM
Now whos gonna be the idiot that goes and screws this all up?

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 07:08 PM
Now whos gonna be the idiot that goes and screws this all up?

well, the beauty of the wiki software is all changes are logged, so can be easily reverted back (by anyone)

Also, since registration is required, we can block/ban any troublemakers.

arn

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 07:10 PM
Question:
Would it be considered "wrong" if I were to copy and paste stuff from Wikipedia into the MR guide? Some of these articles need a lot of filling up.

Kobushi
Oct 30, 2005, 07:16 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Entity79/PedoBearSeal.gif

Sweet

What's a fart bear? or does pedo mean something else in another language besides Spanish? ;)

Yay for the Wiki. Now I won't have to clog the forums with my asinine mac questions. (just the normal ones as as seen above :) )

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 07:20 PM
Question:
Would it be considered "wrong" if I were to copy and paste stuff from Wikipedia into the MR guide? Some of these articles need a lot of filling up.

We're probably going to use the same licensing which means probably would be ok to use some data... but in general I'd frown upon mass copying. Wiki does have good treatments on several broad related topics, but I think our angle on it is a little different, and the world doesn't need another wikipedia mirror. :)

arn

jdechko
Oct 30, 2005, 07:36 PM
This should prove to be a valuable tool for all of us, and help cut down on the repeated threads.

andysmith
Oct 30, 2005, 08:08 PM
You've done an absolutely fantastic job of integrating vB and MediaWiki, Arn :)

I think this is a great idea - and I think I'm addicted already :D

TMA
Oct 30, 2005, 08:10 PM
What's a fart bear? or does pedo mean something else in another language besides Spanish? ;)

Errrm in England 'Pedo' is slang/shorthand for paedophile (pedophile in US spelling)

angelneo
Oct 30, 2005, 09:05 PM
Maybe we should organize a contest. The members with the most approved contributions to the guide will get a new macrumors title? like mac guru? just thinking off the top of my head

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 09:28 PM
Well, I just made my first contribution to the Guide - an entry for Roxio's Toast Titanium 7 (http://guides.macrumors.com/Toast_Titanium_7). That was easy! I may have to do more of these... :) :cool:

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 09:36 PM
Looks like someone posted the Wikipedia iBook contents

http://guides.macrumors.com/IBook

A very complete article but also very different from the PowerMac Dual Core article:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Power_Mac_G5_Dual_Core_%282005%29

Admittedly, a different take on it. The Wikipedia acts more of an encylopedia of all things... so people looking for an article on the iBook might want more cultural/historical aspect of it's existence, while someone looking here might want more practical (specs, tips, troubleshooting) issues.

Just something to think about...

arn

iMeowbot
Oct 30, 2005, 09:43 PM
Might we just be able to use GNU Free Documentation License (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License) that Wikipedia uses?
It's a really cumbersome license, and even the Wikimedia folks have expressed regrets at times for having chosen it. CC wasn't as well cooked when they started as it is now, but it would have avoided a lot of that; but switching isn't an option for them now.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 09:43 PM

A very complete article but also very different from the PowerMac Dual Core article:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Power_Mac_G5_Dual_Core_%282005%29

Admittedly, a different take on it. The Wikipedia acts more of an encylopedia of all things... so people looking for an article on the iBook might want more cultural/historical aspect of it's existence, while someone looking here might want more practical (specs, tips, troubleshooting) issues.

Just something to think about...

arn

I think that's a good point arn, and something everyone should consider. Of course, since the Guides are now just in their infancy, I'm sure we'll see all sorts of interesting takes and approaches, and resulting entries in the upcoming months, but I'm sure they'll sort themselves out eventually.

But yes, I agree. Perhaps if people are interested in the history of Mac machines, they should simply consult the Wikipedia itself. I was going to suggest creating another Category for "History" or something along those lines, but again, these are supposed to be guides, not historical repositories.

Nonetheless, as you say, a different take, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is something members should keep in mind though when making entries. :cool:

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 09:44 PM

I briefly panicked when I saw that one. A ton of stuff that didn't match the rest of the pages at all.

Seems like Kalisphoenix is working on it though.

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 09:55 PM
I briefly panicked when I saw that one. A ton of stuff that didn't match the rest of the pages at all.

Seems like Kalisphoenix is working on it though.

ya, we'll see how it turns out. I just don't think it makes sense to copy a entire page from wikipedia. Just link to it, if you want to reference it. Because they will keep it up to date from there standpoint.

arn

Rye Brye
Oct 30, 2005, 10:02 PM
Copying a whole article from the wikipedia is stupid. Just do [[Wikipedia:iBook]] and be done with it - or make a piped link and have it go to [[Wikipedia:iBook|Wikipedia entry about iBook]] to make it read better.

I think that the restriction that only new people with 20 posts can edit the wikis is absolutely retarded. That really hinders new development from outside sources - people who don't like to banter around on forums all day but may know more about a certain program than the person who wrote the article.

Locking content down like that violates a major principle of wikis. It really turns off new people from editing. Not allowing anonymous users to edit your wiki I believe is a bad idea.

That being said, I hope that lots of good guides come from this. Should be an interesting project. The hardest part about a wiki is always seeding it with good content and then pruning it as you go.

Phat_Pat
Oct 30, 2005, 10:05 PM
both my user name and password incorporate a underscore (_)

bah! i can't login (even after making it Phat Pat)

confusion!:confused:

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 10:06 PM
Locking content down like that violates a major principle of wikis. It really turns off new people from editing. Not allowing anonymous users to edit your wiki I believe is a bad idea.

Hmm... you may be right. As mentioned, anyone who registered before this weekend has editing abilities without any post requirement. That's 60,000+ users.

It was a balance between being freely editable and not encouraging spamming.

Maybe we'll reconsider it depending on how things go.

arn

Rye Brye
Oct 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
Hmm... you may be right. As mentioned, anyone who registered before this weekend has editing abilities without any post requirement. That's 60,000+ users.
It was a balance between being freely editable and not encouraging spamming.

With 60,000 users - you should easily be able to detect spam and remove it. You just have to get enough admins to have the "revert to" version available to them and you should be fine... Although with 60,000 users you might not need anybody else, either :P

As a side note, it seems your InterWiki map isn't loaded right - or isn't the most recent version. In my user talk page I tried to link to my other wiki (that is in the interwiki map) but it didn't work. Then I tried the most common one - [[Wikipedia: ]] and it wasn't working either. Interwiki links are really convenient - especially to things like the Wikipedia.

Good idea on the guides. I'll try to contribute when I have time. I'm very familiar with the MediaWiki format - even the esoteric topics as templates, tables, and redirects.

You may want to put a link on the main page to the [[Special:Wanted pages]] - which shows all of the pages that are linked to - but contain no content. People writing pages should link to whatever they think deserves a page - and people who are looking for what they should create can look at the "wanted pages" and start creating a page for that topic. It makes for efficient editing.

I would have put the link on the main page, but some paranoid person locked it ;)

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 10:30 PM
I would have put the link on the main page, but some paranoid person locked it ;)

heh... thanks for the tips. The front page is actually not really a wiki page, it's dynamically generated due to the recent content. I hear you can do modules but haven't figured those out yet.

lemme look into the interwiki issue.

arn

Rye Brye
Oct 30, 2005, 10:35 PM
heh... thanks for the tips. The front page is actually not really a wiki page, it's dynamically generated due to the recent content. I hear you can do modules but haven't figured those out yet.

lemme look into the interwiki issue.

arn

Oh, that makes sense about the front page. I was jealous, because I haven't really figured out how to make my front page have those kind of categories... etc. show up on it :P

I took a small stab at creating some articles (mostly just some common-knowledge type stuff)- but I'm off to bed now. Sounds like a worthy project. Should be fun once it gets humming.

Ryan

ifjake
Oct 30, 2005, 10:36 PM
fine i'll be the one who says it.

someone will eventually need to change all the i's (iPod, iMac etc) from uppercase letters to lowercase.

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 10:38 PM

someone will eventually need to change all the i's (iPod, iMac etc) from uppercase letters to lowercase.

It can't be done ffs. At least not without serious hacking and breakage.

It's a MediaWiki issue. That's why there's the text in italic, on top of the page.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2005, 10:39 PM

I believe that's a technological limitation though, and cannot be changed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 10:48 PM
As a side note, it seems your InterWiki map isn't loaded right - or isn't the most recent version. In my user talk page I tried to link to my other wiki (that is in the interwiki map) but it didn't work. Then I tried the most common one - [[Wikipedia: ]] and it wasn't working either. Interwiki links are really convenient - especially to things like the Wikipedia.

curiously, my interwiki (which came with the 1.5 install) didn't have wikipedia in it. I added it. should work now.

arn

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 11:09 PM
As of right now, some articles seem un-editable. Why :confused:
EDIT: I guess they are...I was just expecting a "edit" button for the top section of the page, but that was before I found the "edit" button at the top (near 'discussion', etc.)

dubbz
Oct 30, 2005, 11:10 PM
As of right now, some articles seem un-editable. Why :confused:

Which one are you thinking of?

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 11:12 PM
Which one are you thinking of?
It was IBM, but I guess I can, nevermind.

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 11:32 PM
I'm getting annoyed about something...
It seems to me there is a mad rush out there to create as many articles as possible, but the ones people are making are useless.
For example, at the moment, the 'Apple CEO' article says...
"Category:Apple CEOs
(There is currently no text in this page)"
Why not just focus on one good article, instead of making hundreds of useless ones.
(Sorry if I offended anyone - I'm in a bad mood because I can't figure out how to use that stuff!)

Macmaniac
Oct 30, 2005, 11:47 PM
I hope all you iMac G3 users like my submission. The complete guide to getting video back after installing OS X. Please feel free to add!
http://guides.macrumors.com/Fixing_No_Video_on_iMac_G3_After_Mac_OS_X_Install

kalisphoenix
Oct 30, 2005, 11:49 PM
Just to clarify (since a few comments have been aimed in my general direction):

Don't freak out if you see a Wikipedia page inserted in the article that I'm working on. It just means that I'm still working on it and using the Wikipedia page as one of my sources. Also, don't freak out if a new page is created with absolutely no content, because I'm probably working on it.

What MediaWiki needs is a little beacon on each page that beeps and flashes and says "Kali's Phoenix, a noted slowpoke, was recently seen clicking on the Edit button. Be calm, folks, you're in good hands."

I guess I'll put that in my disclaimer too ;-)

I'm tired -- gonna fix up Gil Amelio, the Apple CEOs, and some other stuff and then hit the hay.

EricNau
Oct 30, 2005, 11:52 PM
Just to clarify (since a few comments have been aimed in my general direction):

Don't freak out if you see a Wikipedia page inserted in the article that I'm working on. It just means that I'm still working on it and using the Wikipedia page as one of my sources. Also, don't freak out if a new page is created with absolutely no content, because I'm probably working on it.

What MediaWiki needs is a little beacon on each page that beeps and flashes and says "Kali's Phoenix, a noted slowpoke, was recently seen clicking on the Edit button. Be calm, folks, you're in good hands."

I guess I'll put that in my disclaimer too ;-)

I'm tired -- gonna fix up Gil Amelio, the Apple CEOs, and some other stuff and then hit the hay.
Sorry - I did something to something of yours (I know not specific - I'm just so confused). I tried writing a message to you in a page you said "Don't Touch" - anyways I think I fixed it. (I was trying to tell you I had a pic of the iMac if you needed one). Hope I didn't mess anything up.

arn
Oct 30, 2005, 11:57 PM
Some of the stubs are going to be a by product of other people creating pages. Some organization will rise from the chaos in time. Once there are enough useful articles out there, there can be more consolidation in categories and the like.

I do want to remind you of a few things:

- You can't copy copyrighted content from other websites.
- Wikipedia is under a different license... but regardless I think we can offer a lot more than just copying wikimedia content. If you want to reference a Wikimedia article - just link to it.
- It's not a race! :)

Macmaniac, thanks for the article.

arn

Mydriasis
Oct 31, 2005, 12:31 AM
Awesome, I can't wait to see how it will evolve! I know I'll look there first, from now on, when I dont know how to do something (and that happens so often).

I am so excited!

kalisphoenix
Oct 31, 2005, 12:38 AM
I'm getting annoyed about something...
It seems to me there is a mad rush out there to create as many articles as possible, but the ones people are making are useless.
For example, at the moment, the 'Apple CEO' article says...
"Category:Apple CEOs
(There is currently no text in this page)"
Why not just focus on one good article, instead of making hundreds of useless ones.
(Sorry if I offended anyone - I'm in a bad mood because I can't figure out how to use that stuff!)

I'm not offended, but it needs to be pointed out anyway (I missed this in my earlier post)... when you add an article to a category that doesn't exist, the category page is "sorta" created. The part of the category that lists the member pages is created and displayed when you visit it, but there is no page containing any sort of description. MediaWiki software displays the message you quoted above.

Category pages are usually empty of content on Wikipedia -- at least, it's been my experience. What I do on my site (and it kinda spilled over onto this one, sorry) is insert as a template the name of a relevant page, if there is one. For instance, for the iBooks category I included the iBook page. If people don't like it, they can undo it -- no big deal -- but seeing as how the content is changed automatically with the original page, it doesn't take up any more space in the database, it requires fewer clicks for a surfer to get the appropriate information, and so forth, I generally do it.

That being said, I didn't do crap on the Apple CEOs page. Gil Amelio really took it out of me :-( Thanks to everyone who worked on stuff/commented on mine/whatever. Wiki's a weird thing to get used to, especially if you're only used to browsing them, but once you get the hang of it.... it pwns.

P.S. Good job hacking the interface, Arn -- it's gorgeous.

cwedl
Oct 31, 2005, 01:47 AM
Thats sounds great to me, How anyone can give this thread a negative rating I'm not sure, but I can't wait to read then.

If we wanted to make some product guides as well or added details to existing ones, would this be possible?

dontmatter
Oct 31, 2005, 02:01 AM
man, awesome. Its going to be so great to watch it all get fleshed out and continually richer.

And hopefully someone hack it so iMac isn't IMac. That'll be a good one.

aswitcher
Oct 31, 2005, 04:40 AM
This is great to see. I am really looking forward to model histories, showing tech developments and price changes (including options) for each major line as its life goes on.

I bet its going to be pretty mad at the next hardware release with everyone trying to post. :)

bigandy
Oct 31, 2005, 06:48 AM
ooooh yet another university productivity killer :rolleyes:

Platform
Oct 31, 2005, 07:16 AM
I posted about something like this......well got some of what i wanted:p ;)

dual64bit
Oct 31, 2005, 09:01 AM
I'm impressed, glad to see some more cool features... you guys rock! :p

nagromme
Oct 31, 2005, 10:14 AM
This is great! The community support that makes using Macs so easy... just got even better :)

This, plus a volunteer forum where people can get free tech support (which there are plenty of already) make things pretty nice for Mac users with tech questions.

I've got lots of saved stuff to contribute once I dig it up.

Starting with my list of ALL Apple displays past and present, with pixel and inch dimensions (horiz, vert, diag), DPI, and megapixels. Saves people having to do the math when they want to know just HOW much bigger one display is than another.

XNine
Oct 31, 2005, 10:43 AM
As one of many original contributors to this project, I want to thank anyone for helping out with it, adding pages, screenshots, links, and pictures. With more of us working on this, the MR wiki should become the most comprehensive, free resource on the internet for the Mac platform. Coupled with the forums, the only place with more information might just be the Apple Support site itself, though it is vague on some things.

GO MR!

dubbz
Oct 31, 2005, 10:46 AM
Coupled with the forums, the only place with more information might just be the Apple Support site itself, though it is vague on some things.

I'm sure we'll deal with that later ;) :p

XNine
Oct 31, 2005, 10:54 AM
I'm sure we'll deal with that later ;) :p

I meant the Apple site being Vague. Ever look on their support pages? Getting info on there can be like pulling teeth!

Our wiki and forums will blow it out of the water eventually. Soon they will revel in our coolness!!!!!!!!!!

quigleybc
Oct 31, 2005, 12:10 PM
I think this idea is brilliant

Well done,

keep up the good work:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

lazyrighteye
Oct 31, 2005, 12:24 PM
I can't BELIEVE this made page one rumors!!

I keed, I keed.

"Guides" looks to be a popular tab. Fo' shizzle.
Nice work team!

:D

emw
Oct 31, 2005, 01:26 PM
Finally had the chance to look through some of these today. I'm impressed with many of them, and I'm sure the content will continue to improve as we collectively get more experience in this type of thing.

I hope to someday be able to add to the guide site, but for now I'm happy simply learning from what's been posted. Great job, all!

Lacero
Oct 31, 2005, 01:30 PM
MR Guides made it on the front page of digg.com (http://www.digg.com/) website. And comments (http://www.digg.com/apple/MacRumors_Launches_Mac_Guides_) page.