Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
So here's the deal. I want my phone to be able to send commands to my Mac via SMS. The idea is that I want to build an app that allows people to send commands to their Mac. I suppose I could use push e-mail, and probably will because I can send e-mails from my phone. I would rather not, because not everyone has Internet access on their cellphones. Yes, they could probably store an e-mail address in their phones, but I don't think they would like having to do that.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I googled this:
google voice api

and found this:
http://www.googlevoice.org/pages.php?title=sniffing

I also found a lot of other articles, posts, etc. on places like Stack Overflow, google code, etc. that are more discouraging. So unless Google publishes a stable API, like Amazon has done for S3, then you should make a strong effort to isolate the low-level details from everything else.

And unless you make some additional effort at security (authentication in particular), don't be surprised if someone texts you an 'rm -fR ~' command that wipes an account.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I googled this:
google voice api

and found this:
http://www.googlevoice.org/pages.php?title=sniffing

I also found a lot of other articles, posts, etc. on places like Stack Overflow, google code, etc. that are more discouraging. So unless Google publishes a stable API, like Amazon has done for S3, then you should make a strong effort to isolate the low-level details from everything else.

And unless you make some additional effort at security (authentication in particular), don't be surprised if someone texts you an 'rm -fR ~' command that wipes an account.

I'm not very worried about security. As long as the program only responds to SMSs from phone numbers that the user designates, I think everything will be just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.