Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hi all! I have been looking for this file for a while: java-6-dp9.dmg
Does anybody have that? That contains the PPC Java SE 6 for Leopard. Thanks!

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm afraid Java support for PowerPC ended quite some time ago so all our G5's and below are stuck running an old version of Java 5 I'm afraid. No modern minecraft for you! :p

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Hi all! I have been looking for this file for a while: java-6-dp9.dmg
Does anybody have that? That contains the PPC Java SE 6 for Leopard. Thanks!

Here is DP8. Don't lose it - it took me a long time to find it! I never could find the DP9 though.

My G4 is currently out of action, so it's untested. Please report back with your findings.

Possible install method:

1. Install DMG
2. su root; cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions; ls
3. Make sure you see '1.6 -> 1.6.0' CurrentJDK -> 1.5
4. rm CurrentJDK (removes symbolic link, not the jdk)
5. ln -s 1.6 CurrentJDK
6. java -version

Last edited:

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Yes you can! :D

It's a Tekkit Lite server and the address is:

snovia.nanotekkit.us

Feel free to have a look around!

Why don't you switch to FeedTheBeast, which is just like tekkit, but has permission from the modders, and industrial craft.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Why don't you switch to FeedTheBeast, which is just like tekkit, but has permission from the modders, and industrial craft.

I haven't read up on feed the beast. You mean an integrated perms system? That interests me because having to use MCPC or BukkitForge is a nightmare but I need it to bring in my BukkitForge plugins, most importantly worldedit and PEX.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Dear lord, a file which doesn't get lost when the server goes offline - the horrors. If more files were available as torrents then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Soylatte is a build of OpenJDK 6 (has possible been updated to 7?) for PowerPC. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it's incompatible with some things due to various missing components (odd, because OpenJDK 6 on Linux works just fine). It might be worth giving it another shot though.

Last edited:

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Here is DP8. Don't lose it - it took me a long time to find it! I never could find the DP9 though.

My G4 is currently out of action, so it's untested. Please report back with your findings.

Possible install method:

Sorry for bumping this thread, but the torrent your provided seems to be dead. If you still have the file, can you reupload it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sorry for bumping this thread, but the torrent your provided seems to be dead. If you still have the file, can you reupload it?

The torrent is just Apple's Java Update 8 for Leopard. See my previous post to download the latest Update 10. If you still want the Update 8, you can download it from Apple's site.

That's just a link to Apple's Java for Leopard 8 Update. Here's the latest 10 update: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1359

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
The torrent is just Apple's Java Update 8 for Leopard. See my previous post to download the latest Update 10. If you still want the Update 8, you can download it from Apple's site.

First of all, you linked Update 10. Furthermore, the description explicitely states that it will update Java 6 only on 64-bit intel Macs.

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 delivers improved compatibility, security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs.

I'm a bit confused here. Installing Update 10, will it remove the old Java 6 for PowerPC? :confused: Do I need to install Update 8 before installing Update 10? :confused:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
First of all, you linked Update 10. Furthermore, the description explicitely states that it will update Java 6 only on 64-bit intel Macs.

I know I linked to Update 10, that what my post and my quoted say. The description may say that, but it's no different that Update 8.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I installed the update. But java6 won't show.

I tried launching "Java Preferences". Only 1.5.0 and 1.4.1 show up.

Then I did the following:
Code:
# java -show-version
java version "1.5.0_26"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_26-b03-376-9M3263)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_26-156, mixed mode)

# which java
/usr/bin/java

# ls /usr/bin/java
/usr/bin/java -> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/jav

# ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current
System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current -> A

# ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK -> 1.6

# /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands/java -show-version
bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands/java: Bad CPU type in executable

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.