1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Java 6 PPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, May 25, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

128keaton

Hi all! I have been looking for this file for a while: java-6-dp9.dmg
    Does anybody have that? That contains the PPC Java SE 6 for Leopard. Thanks!

2. macrumors 65816

tevion5

I'm afraid Java support for PowerPC ended quite some time ago so all our G5's and below are stuck running an old version of Java 5 I'm afraid. No modern minecraft for you! :p

3. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

lol i love minecraft. thats y i switched to intel :)

4. macrumors 65816

tevion5

Enough justification for a $1000+ upgrade! :p

5. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

it was actually

6. macrumors 65816

tevion5

I run my own Tekkit server actually so I'm passionate about minecraft too ;)

7. Wildy, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

macrumors 6502

Here is DP8. Don't lose it - it took me a long time to find it! I never could find the DP9 though.

My G4 is currently out of action, so it's untested. Please report back with your findings.

Possible install method:

8. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

oh, i see. can i have the ip?

9. macrumors 65816

tevion5

Yes you can! :D

It's a Tekkit Lite server and the address is:

snovia.nanotekkit.us

Feel free to have a look around!

10. macrumors P6

Intell

That's just a link to Apple's Java for Leopard 8 Update. Here's the latest 10 update: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1359

11. macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Why don't you switch to FeedTheBeast, which is just like tekkit, but has permission from the modders, and industrial craft.

12. macrumors 65816

tevion5

I haven't read up on feed the beast. You mean an integrated perms system? That interests me because having to use MCPC or BukkitForge is a nightmare but I need it to bring in my BukkitForge plugins, most importantly worldedit and PEX.

13. macrumors 6502

Hmm that's a shame. Will have to kee looking for the Developer Preview...

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

A torrent? really?

16. Wildy, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

macrumors 6502

Dear lord, a file which doesn't get lost when the server goes offline - the horrors. If more files were available as torrents then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Soylatte is a build of OpenJDK 6 (has possible been updated to 7?) for PowerPC. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but it's incompatible with some things due to various missing components (odd, because OpenJDK 6 on Linux works just fine). It might be worth giving it another shot though.

17. macrumors 6502a

Agree.
    Has anyone saw/tried this: http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/#get
    (it's on the FAQ)

18. macrumors regular

Sorry for bumping this thread, but the torrent your provided seems to be dead. If you still have the file, can you reupload it?

19. macrumors regular

Andropov

I'm seeding it now, check it ;)

20. macrumors regular

Thanks, now it's downloading at 50-100 kb/s. Hope that the file will be ready when I wake up tomorrow

21. macrumors P6

Intell

The torrent is just Apple's Java Update 8 for Leopard. See my previous post to download the latest Update 10. If you still want the Update 8, you can download it from Apple's site.

22. macrumors 6502

First of all, you linked Update 10. Furthermore, the description explicitely states that it will update Java 6 only on 64-bit intel Macs.

I'm a bit confused here. Installing Update 10, will it remove the old Java 6 for PowerPC? :confused: Do I need to install Update 8 before installing Update 10? :confused:

23. macrumors P6

Intell

I know I linked to Update 10, that what my post and my quoted say. The description may say that, but it's no different that Update 8.

24. macrumors 6502

Ok. Thanks.

25. macrumors 6502

I installed the update. But java6 won't show.

I tried launching "Java Preferences". Only 1.5.0 and 1.4.1 show up.

Then I did the following:
    Code:
    # java -show-version
    java version "1.5.0_26"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_26-b03-376-9M3263)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_26-156, mixed mode)

# which java
    /usr/bin/java

# ls /usr/bin/java
    /usr/bin/java -> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/jav

# ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current
    System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current -> A

# ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK -> 1.6

# /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands/java -show-version
    bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Commands/java: Bad CPU type in executable

What am I doing wrong? :confused: