PDA

View Full Version : Got my new 17" iMac today... have some screen concerns

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 04:52 PM
Hey all. I got my 17" iMac today and the thing is beautiful! However, I am a little concerned about my screen. I have some backlight bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen in the middle. It is very noticeable in frontrow or when playing a widescreen movie. Also, the upper left corner is slightly darker than the rest of the bar at the top. This may be from the extra lighting in the middle... should I be concerned about this or is it common? Should I try to get an exchange?? The middle area of the top of the screen is rather bright...

Danksi
Oct 31, 2005, 05:36 PM
Hey all. I got my 17" iMac today and the thing is beautiful! However, I am a little concerned about my screen. I have some backlight bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen in the middle. It is very noticeable in frontrow or when playing a widescreen movie. Also, the upper left corner is slightly darker than the rest of the bar at the top. This may be from the extra lighting in the middle... should I be concerned about this or is it common? Should I try to get an exchange?? The middle area of the top of the screen is rather bright...

SNAP! :)

I've not noticed any lighting issues with mine. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll have to double check FrontRow with a Movie, as I've not really tried it out yet.

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 06:04 PM
SNAP! :)

I've not noticed any lighting issues with mine. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll have to double check FrontRow with a Movie, as I've not really tried it out yet.

Yeah if you could check that and see... even just open frontrow and see if the top of the screen has some white leaking into it from the top and then let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 08:48 PM
For all those who currently own an iMac 17" does anyone else experience uneven screen brightness in the form of extra light bleeding into the screen at the top. When I am on a black screen it is very noticeable on the top area where white light is bleeding through... should I call Apple and ask about getting an exchange over this?

ITASOR
Oct 31, 2005, 09:27 PM
I'd call Apple...if you remember their phone number that is....:D :cool: :rolleyes: :p :eek:...

You wouldn't want it to develop into something later on. :(

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah I think I'm going to call .... here are some pics of it...

Danksi
Oct 31, 2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah I think I'm going to call .... here are some pics of it...

Thanks for posting the pics, much easier to see what you mean. I've compared your frontrow screen with mine and yours does have more white along the top.

Have you tried adjusting the screen brightness down - mine was turned to mac by default, I now have it set about 50%.

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 09:52 PM
I turned down the brightness to 50% and it got better but my screen got too dark for my taste. It also makes the upper left part of the screen seem darker than the rest.

Danksi
Oct 31, 2005, 09:55 PM
I turned down the brightness to 50% and it got better but my screen got too dark for my taste. It also makes the upper left part of the screen seem darker than the rest.

My 'darkness' is definately even across the screen. Best give Apple a call.

Could it be the screen is being pinched somewhere?

berkleeboy210
Oct 31, 2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for Posting this Chrispy. My iMac is still in the box, believe it or not.... I haven't had time to get it set up yet, and want to "take my time" and not rush when I do set it up. Hopefully tomorrow night.

I'll definetely check for the screen issues though, since both of ours were on the same shipment.

I'll post back tomorrow night.

nospleen
Oct 31, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hey Chrispy, I can barely see it on mine. It is not as dramatic as yours. But, then again, your second pic looks more like mine. It looks really noticeable in the first pic.

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Chrispy, I can barely see it on mine. It is not as dramatic as yours. But, then again, your second pic looks more like mine. It looks really noticeable in the first pic.

Haha, yeah it just worries me that something may be pinching the screen and could cause trouble down the road. Also, it causes the upper left part of the screen to look darker than the rest during normal operation... which bugs me after coming from a Dell 2005FPW with perfect backlighting.

Verto
Oct 31, 2005, 10:14 PM
The way I see it is, you just spent a lot of money on your machine, so if you have some concerns, however little, you are well within your rights to take it back to Apple and have them check it out.

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2005, 10:21 PM
Get the VGA cable for the iMac and test your display agains the Dell. I does look excessively bright though.

Just a thought...

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 10:28 PM
The way I see it is, you just spent a lot of money on your machine, so if you have some concerns, however little, you are well within your rights to take it back to Apple and have them check it out.

Yeah I agree. There should not be patches that are that bright on the screen. Also, as Eidorian pointed out, when comparing it to how my dell looked when I had it hooked up to my powerbook the iMac has issues.

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 11:32 PM
could anyone else take a pic of their iMacs running Frontrow so I can compare them? That would be helpful for me. Thanks!

berkleeboy210
Oct 31, 2005, 11:39 PM
could anyone else take a pic of their iMacs running Frontrow so I can compare them? That would be helpful for me. Thanks!

Chrispy, I'll take some tomorrow night.

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 11:41 PM
Chrispy, I'll take some tomorrow night.

Thanks! I feel like we are in this together haha :) I hope yours is PERFECT and then I will know I need to get it exchanged.

berkleeboy210
Oct 31, 2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks! I feel like we are in this together haha :) I hope yours is PERFECT and then I will know I need to get it exchanged.

I can't believe mine is still in the box!! I think this the longest i've gone knowing that a new computer is in the house and not opening it...

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2005, 11:50 PM
I can't believe mine is still in the box!! I think this the longest i've gone knowing that a new computer is in the house and not opening it...

You know you want to open it and take pics tonight ;) open... the... box... hehehe

nospleen
Nov 1, 2005, 08:00 AM
Here you go! Now that I look at it, I think yours does have an issue!

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the picture! Yours does look much better. I just can't wait to see berkleeboy210s screen to see if his looks good too. I am going to call today.

Danksi
Nov 1, 2005, 11:14 AM
Here you go! Now that I look at it, I think yours does have an issue!

Mine looks like that.

Is this your first Mac as well? Not good. See if you can get a complimentary iPod Shuffle out of them or something. :)

nospleen
Nov 1, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the picture! Yours does look much better. I just can't wait to see berkleeboy210s screen to see if his looks good too. I am going to call today.

No problem, it was the least I could do. I somewhat feel responsible for you buying the imac.
:p

Chrispy
Nov 1, 2005, 12:18 PM
No problem, it was the least I could do. I somewhat feel responsible for you buying the imac.
:p

Could you please take a picture of the computer running in OS X as well. I want to see how uniform the backlighting is on your system as compared to mine. Thanks :)

nospleen
Nov 1, 2005, 12:34 PM
Here you go!

berkleeboy210
Nov 1, 2005, 12:50 PM

I'm at school right now Chrispy, Check for pics around 8-9pm tonite

Chrispy
Nov 2, 2005, 01:23 AM
I'm at school right now Chrispy, Check for pics around 8-9pm tonite

Where are my iMac pictures :( Haha. I would still like to see what your looks like but I am sending mine back to Apple. Don't know what I am going to get in place of it.

mjstew33
Nov 3, 2005, 06:06 PM
Did you return yours or something? It says your "macless" in your signature.

:confused:

Chrispy
Nov 4, 2005, 02:27 PM
Did you return yours or something? It says your "macless" in your signature.

:confused:

Ok here is what happened. I returned the 17" iMac, got a 15" powerbook... the screen on the powerbook was total crap so I drove an hour and a half to Oak Brook to the Apple store there and took that back. I then got an iMac 17" again that does not have the bleeding at the top. It is slightly darker in the upper left corner but I don't mind as it just makes the text seem more crisp on the menus. The screen is bright and beautiful and I could not be happier. I also got 1.5 GB of RAM (was feeling lazy and got it cheap there) and Applecare :) Very pleased with purchase!

P.S. We went through 2 iMacs before this one in the Apple store to get one that work. First one had scratch in screen and second one had cracks in the casing :eek: Kinda scary to think about the odds there haha!

Danksi
Nov 4, 2005, 03:35 PM
Ok here is what happened....

Some kinda' adventure there then!

nospleen
Nov 4, 2005, 06:13 PM
Ok here is what happened. I returned the 17" iMac, got a 15" powerbook... the screen on the powerbook was total crap so I drove an hour and a half to Oak Brook to the Apple store there and took that back. I then got an iMac 17" again that does not have the bleeding at the top. It is slightly darker in the upper left corner but I don't mind as it just makes the text seem more crisp on the menus. The screen is bright and beautiful and I could not be happier. I also got 1.5 GB of RAM (was feeling lazy and got it cheap there) and Applecare :) Very pleased with purchase!

P.S. We went through 2 iMacs before this one in the Apple store to get one that work. First one had scratch in screen and second one had cracks in the casing :eek: Kinda scary to think about the odds there haha!

Glad to hear everything worked out. Two questions for you. Do you set your processor speed to auto or highest? Also, did the ram make a noticeable difference?

Danksi
Nov 4, 2005, 06:42 PM
Glad to hear everything worked out. Two questions for you. Do you set your processor speed to auto or highest? Also, did the ram make a noticeable difference?

I run my CPU on automatic and the 1Gb stick I stuck in earlier this week (thanks CanadaRAM) has made a big difference when I'm running 2-3 apps at once.

The main reason for the extra ram for me, is because the iMac also serves as a Slimserver for our slimdevice downstairs and the tunes were being disrupted every so often when working the iMac harder.

I was getting lots of page in/outs - now I've very few page outs.

nospleen
Nov 4, 2005, 06:43 PM
I am going to upgrade mine soon. I run my processor on auto too. I would prefer to set it on the highest. But, it is so quiet in Automatic mode, that I leave it there. It is not loud at all on highest, but I can hear a difference.

berkleeboy210
Nov 4, 2005, 06:59 PM
Where are my iMac pictures :( Haha. I would still like to see what your looks like but I am sending mine back to Apple. Don't know what I am going to get in place of it.

Chrispy, So Sorry Man.. I've been so crazy this week that i haven't even had the chance to take pics.

Hopefully the weekend will quiet down a bit so I can have a chance.

My iMac is perfect, I didn't think I would use Front Row that much but I've used it everyday since I've taken it out of the box. Same with Photobooth. Having the iSight built in is great, one less cable to worry about....

Next purchase is going to a be a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Chrispy
Nov 5, 2005, 12:48 AM

I leave the processor on Auto and the RAM did make a big difference when I started opening up lots of items at once. This new unit is amazing :)