PDA

View Full Version : iBook: Each keypress produces high pitch squeak.

ITASOR
Nov 1, 2005, 01:07 PM
This is really weird, but has been like this since I got my iBook on August 12th.

If I open TextEdit, and press any key, it produces a "squeak" noise. It sounds like its coming from the speakers, but I'm not 100% sure. If I hold that key down, the very low squeak sound happens over and over until I let go. It's VERY faint of a sound and I can only hear it when everyone's really quiet and I try and type more softly than usual.

This doesn't happen ANYWHERE else, besides TextEdit.

Any idea? All my keys do this, not one in particular. Again, ONLY in Text Edit.

How weird is that?

gibbon
Nov 1, 2005, 01:47 PM
This is really weird, but has been like this since I got my iBook on August 12th.

If I open TextEdit, and press any key, it produces a "squeak" noise. It sounds like its coming from the speakers, but I'm not 100% sure. If I hold that key down, the very low squeak sound happens over and over until I let go. It's VERY faint of a sound and I can only hear it when everyone's really quiet and I try and type more softly than usual.

This doesn't happen ANYWHERE else, besides TextEdit.

Any idea? All my keys do this, not one in particular. Again, ONLY in Text Edit.

How weird is that?

Weird indeed. I have noticed this but only ever when writing, guess where........... on macrumours!!!! Even more weird, for the first time ever, it is not doing it just now! On a previous post somebody referred to this as a hard drive noise but I am not totally convinced by that. Am just putting it down to "character".... Now you wouldn't hear that from a pc owner!

Demon Hunter
Nov 1, 2005, 02:57 PM
Weird indeed. I have noticed this but only ever when writing, guess where........... on macrumours!!!! Even more weird, for the first time ever, it is not doing it just now! On a previous post somebody referred to this as a hard drive noise but I am not totally convinced by that. Am just putting it down to "character".... Now you wouldn't hear that from a pc owner!

Weird! My PowerBook does the same thing!

mad jew
Nov 1, 2005, 05:48 PM
Does it still happen if you mute the sound?

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2005, 05:54 PM
My PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002 does the same thing at work. I'll try it while muted.

ITASOR
Nov 1, 2005, 06:00 PM
Does it still happen if you mute the sound?

Muting or increasing/decreasing the volume doesn't do anything.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. After a while, the noise stops in textedit, but then it's back next time (like few days later). I thought maybe it's the HD noise with "autosave" or something, but it doesn't do that anywhere else for me.

I called Apple, they had NO CLUE what I was talking about.

maverick808
Nov 1, 2005, 06:08 PM
I *may* have a solution. Install the dev tools (xcode) if you haven't already (it's on the OS X cd). Once you install that you will end up with a Processor preference pane in System Prefs. Go into that and uncheck the box that says "Allow Nap".

Please let me know if it works. Thanks.