PDA

View Full Version : Regretting Buying Powermac G4 Dual

crazysaxchris
Nov 1, 2005, 06:08 PM
I am kind of regretting buying my powermac g4 dual 500. I know in less then a year they will be updated to intel and the powermac g4 will be garbage. I also need to buy all kinds of upgrades

Hard drive
Tiger
More ram
And so on.

Do you think it's worth the upgrades it needs? Or should I save up and buy a quiksilver or mirrored drive doors?

Do you think that it will be outdated and can’t be able to use. Now I have to wait for the holidays to get all kinds of upgrades, boy I wanted a new canon.
I only paid 300.00 I still don’t think I got a good deal. I always hear my dad saying “I think that computer for him was a waste of money has he even been using it” I’m really mad, I think it’s a piece of JUNK! Do you think I got a good deal? Boy 9.2 really is making me use my XP more then the apple? I’m almost ready to sell it back on eBay! What yall think?

I think I might go back to windows!:D I wish not, but I don't know what to expect with tiger?

altair
Nov 1, 2005, 06:35 PM
Your using like a 4 or 5 year old machine, running a previous generation OS...

I don't know what else to say...other than upgrade to tiger/panther first and see where that takes you, although I gotta say I woulda just saved my money and bought a mac mini.

200 bucks more and a billion times better.

Good luck

ravenvii
Nov 1, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah the Mac mini is even faster than that.

What can I say, you're regretting buying a 4-5 years old machine because a new machine will come out next year? That makes alot of sense...

Mechcozmo
Nov 1, 2005, 07:15 PM
It is a great server. Expandable, cheap, etc. But yes, it is old.

crazysaxchris
Nov 1, 2005, 07:15 PM
Well I was thinking of buying a mini, but everyone said a mac mini would be terrible for video editing. I mainly will be doing the usual IM, internet,photoshop,powerpoints, some imoive, everyone siad that a apple powermac g4 dualie would be much better maxed out with ram. So is this true or did i just wast 300.00 on a piece of crap?

crazysaxchris
Nov 1, 2005, 07:38 PM
How much do you think I could sell it for?

radiantm3
Nov 1, 2005, 07:44 PM
Well I was thinking of buying a mini, but everyone said a mac mini would be terrible for video editing. I mainly will be doing the usual IM, internet,photoshop,powerpoints, some imoive, everyone siad that a apple powermac g4 dualie would be much better maxed out with ram. So is this true or did i just wast 300.00 on a piece of crap?

You spent $300 on 512 megs of ram? :confused:

crazysaxchris
Nov 1, 2005, 08:07 PM
I meant the powermac!

homerjward
Nov 1, 2005, 08:08 PM
How much do you think I could sell it for?
with tiger i'd say more than $300. assuming you're a student and can get tiger for $69 dollars you might actually make a profit (especially if it has a dvd burner)

revenuee
Nov 1, 2005, 08:13 PM

If the kinda editing you're doing will be sustainable on a 500 mhz G4 and 2 gigs of ram then the MINI would of been more then enough for you ..

it's not as BAD as a 300$ paper weight with flashing lights but you probably would of been better off going with something a little more current.

savar
Nov 1, 2005, 08:42 PM
I am kind of regretting buying my powermac g4 dual 500. I know in less then a year they will be updated to intel and the powermac g4 will be garbage. I also need to buy all kinds of upgrades

<snip>

Do you think it's worth the upgrades it needs? Or should I save up and buy a quiksilver or mirrored drive doors?

It sounds like a good deal to me. AFAIK, the QS and MDD power macs were never dual-proc (if I'm wrong please correct me), so your dual 500 shouldn't be too much worse than the QS 733 I've got. RAM should be pretty cheap, maybe $100 bucks for a 512 DIMM. You're going to want 512 minimum in my opinion. I have 640 in mine and I have recently begun to push against the upper limits. You definitely need Tiger too if you can afford it. If not, at least pick up Panther 2nd hand off of ebay or something similar. It should be dirt cheap these days. At that point you will have a very usable machine.

If you need a larger HD, get a nice firewire drive. The benefit is that it will be a snap to move all your files to a new machine, and you'll immediately increase the capacity of the next machine you buy too.

Do you think that it will be outdated and cant be able to use. Now I have to wait for the holidays to get all kinds of upgrades, boy I wanted a new canon.

The fact that the intels are coming out in a year or two tells me that now is a good time to save...don't go buying willy nilly if you know you really want the Mactel. Just get enought to get you buy for the next 18 months.

LethalWolfe
Nov 1, 2005, 10:12 PM
It sounds like a good deal to me. AFAIK, the QS and MDD power macs were never dual-proc (if I'm wrong please correct me)

The QS's maxed out at dual 1ghz and the MDD dual 1.42ghz.

to the OP
W/some TLC and upgrades (I'd look into proc upgrades) you can cobble together an okay machine, but, and I'm not meaning to jump on the band wagon, what did you expect out of such old computer? Although when you add up the costs of all the upgrades it might be cheaper to buy a used MDD or QS (or even a used iMac G5).

If it makes you feel any better intel PM's probably won't be out before 2007.

Lethal

csubear
Nov 1, 2005, 10:59 PM
One simple upgrade would make that machine better:

OS X 10.3 or 10.4

I never liked OS 9, unstable , very much windows 95ish.. Its not too bad of a machine, for being 4-5 or more years old. If you want to see slow, i've got a 333mhz G3 imac sitting around. Even that machine is usable with OS X (also long as you have one app open at a time).

And you machine won't be trash when the intel macs come out. Thats the point of the dual binaries.

disconap
Nov 1, 2005, 11:22 PM
I run my main work (which includes graphic design) on a single 400mHz Sawtooth G4. It's fine, just boost your RAM.

If you're not using anything that takes advantage of the dual processors, though, then you're only running slightly faster than a single 500. Still, they're good machines, and I think worth the upgrades (you can also upgrade the processor for between $150-600, depending on how high you want to go).

So far I've found that I have no need AT ALL for a G5, since I don't use video editing, 3d rendering, or do intensive coding. I may eventually upgrade my processor, but I'll likely skip this gen of processor (G5) altogether, other than maybe picking up a used one a few years down the road.

The comment on the Mc Mini was spot on, though, provided you don't need to upgrade ever.

Overall, I'd say it wasn't a dumb purchase. You can do a lot with it, and as someone else said it can make a mighty fine server as well, especially if you eventually upgrade. Or when you do, gut it and use it as a RAID box. Never a bad idea to buy a G4 tower, imo (but yeah, definitely upgrade to 10.3, I've found it's the perfect OS for the early model G4s).

MacTruck
Nov 2, 2005, 12:26 AM
I always hear my dad saying I think that computer for him was a waste of money has he even been using it

Can you please slap your dad for me? I got my 2 yr old son a mac mini and it was the best thing I have ever done. When my 3 month old gets up and touches the mouse he gets one too. A computer in this day and age is a must have for anyone. You really can't live without one. Well yu can but you can also take a dump outside and wipe with leaves.

Computer in every home? F that, I got one in every room. :D

MacTruck
Nov 2, 2005, 12:31 AM
Oh and by the way never regret getting a mac, especially a dual no matter what the speed. Dual cpu is the only way to go unless you go quad.

briangig
Nov 2, 2005, 12:37 AM
your dual g4 isnt that much slower than mine...get some ram in there (at least 512...more is better), and tiger, and i can almost guarantee it will feel like a new machine...

dogbone
Nov 2, 2005, 12:57 AM
I mainly will be doing the usual IM, internet,photoshop,powerpoints, some imoive,

I don't know much about imovie or powerpoint although I'd guess it would be fine for powerpoint. As for photoshop if you're running ps6 or 7 on a dual g4/500 you'll be flying. For 99% of work on PS you won't notice if you had a dual G5 as long as you've got plenty of ram.

balamw
Nov 2, 2005, 12:57 AM
I got my 2 yr old son a mac mini and it was the best thing I have ever done.
My kids are 4 and 2 and are using my ~5 year old 750 MHz PIII box with some minor upgrades. I used this box for video editing until I replaced it with a 2.8 GHz Dell desktop xmas 2003. I think a dual 500 G4 should be plenty for some basic video stuff, but not the newer codecs like MPEG4 or H.264.

They are learning the painful way using XP. We don't let them use the iBook, but intend to replace the PIII with an Intel mini when they finally arrive. At least that way I can potentially dual boot/virtual machine XP and keep running some of the games they like to play under XP that don't have native Mac ports.

B

shadowmoses
Nov 2, 2005, 02:33 AM
Just pick up a 2nd hand version of Panther on eBay and get a minimum of 512mb RAM in there and you will have a nicely running machine which will cover most your needs well,

Shadow

FadeToBlack
Nov 2, 2005, 03:21 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with everyone else on this one. If you put OS X on it, you will definitely see a big improvement. My friend had a Dual 500 and it seemed pretty quick running OS X. If I remember correctly, he was running Panther on it.

cube
Nov 2, 2005, 04:12 AM
Your machine is twice as fast as mine and I'm happy with it.

Just install ANY version of OS X you can afford (well, maybe not 10.0).

Chaszmyr
Nov 2, 2005, 04:46 AM
Really, you should have bought a Mac mini for any number of reasons (smaller, faster, new OS, warranty, etc). Is the mac mini good for video editing? not especially, but neither is that old PowerMac.

Abstract
Nov 2, 2005, 05:28 AM

It wouldn't be great for video editing, but since you didn't list video editing as one of the tasks you planned on doing (other than iMovie, which you don't even have because you're running Mac OS 9.x and not OS X), why did you listened to your friends? "Terrible for video editing"?? Maybe, but you also could have bought a Mac Mini.

I've used a machine slower than that, and it wasn't great running OS 10.2 Jaguar. However, the processor (or maybe it was a dual) was a G3 (around 350 MHz), it only had Jaguar, 256 MB of RAM, a horrid video card, very little HD space remaining, etc etc. However, Panther would probably speed things up a bit on your dual 500 MHz G4.

G5power
Nov 2, 2005, 09:05 AM
At this point, you have already invested in the dual 500, so I would recommend looking for the most economical way to update the machine to the point that you will be happy with it for several years. Most processor upgrades will represent a substanial investment, so I would hold off on that and look for inexpensive RAM and a cheap hard drive. Both of those will make your system feel faster and offer the most value.

My "second" Apple is a dual 450 with 1GB of RAM and it seems fairly fast to me. I replaced the original hard drive with a $29 after rebate 7200RPM 120GB from Office Depot and am very satisified.

The neat thing with your system is that you can easily add very inexpensive extra hard drives. Also a lowcost DVD burner from Newegg.

Be patient and look for very low cost upgrades so that you don't substantially increase your investment.

Unlike the mini, your system has multiple RAM slots, so check with friends and neighbors that have old PC's and see if you can find cheap memory updates. If you find either 256MB or 512MB PC100 upgrades it will help a bunch.

As recommended by almost everyone else ditch the old OS and find a good student deal on OS X.

seamuskrat
Nov 2, 2005, 03:10 PM
For $300.00 you have a rock solid Mac. That generation of Mac was bulletproof. They are extremely expandable. You can actually upgrade them to a 1.42 DUAL processor, over a gig of ram, new AGP card, and any size hard drive. Of course, you will spend some cash to breath new life into the box, but you could and that makes it a valuable machine.

If you take your $300, add RAM, a moderate hard drive and a CPU upgrade, you could price it out for what a new Mini costs and be arguably faster.

For another $400 you could add a dual 1.0, 200 gig drive and 512 RAM. Your machine would be faster than a stock mini and have more expandability.

Just consider the benefits of the machine.

Hard drive
Tiger
More ram
And so on.

Do you think that it will be outdated and cant be able to use. Now I have to wait for the holidays to get all kinds of upgrades, boy I wanted a new canon.
I only paid 300.00 I still dont think I got a good deal. I always hear my dad saying I think that computer for him was a waste of money has he even been using it Im really mad, I think its a piece of JUNK! Do you think I got a good deal? Boy 9.2 really is making me use my XP more then the apple? Im almost ready to sell it back on eBay! What yall think?

I think I might go back to windows!:D I wish not, but I don't know what to expect with tiger?

forumBuddy
Nov 2, 2005, 03:41 PM
"So is this true or did i just wast 300.00 on a piece of crap?"

Yep, you're sure did!

Sorry, just had to say it :D You would've been better off getting a MacMini with more than twice the performance in most cases, Tiger, more memory and better form factor. Then, upgrading to Mactel machines when they come out.

Aliquis
Nov 2, 2005, 04:00 PM
If you're still feeling sad about your purchase, I have a friend who may be willing to buy your dual 500. He needs a server in his house. Where would it have to ship from?

Also, he's a wholeseller who may be able to get you a really good deal on a mac mini.

Email me with any info.

aliquisdesign@gmail.com

CmdrLaForge
Nov 2, 2005, 04:05 PM
I haven't read through all the replys but - man sell that machine and get a mini. Much better. Even for Videostuff.

crazysaxchris
Nov 2, 2005, 04:54 PM
well now I think I'm going to keep it, but in the future in (late 2006) I'll probably update that. I'll look for cheap upgardes at the holiday time, seeing that I'll probably need them.

disconap
Nov 2, 2005, 07:58 PM
For $300.00 you have a rock solid Mac. That generation of Mac was bulletproof. They are extremely expandable. You can actually upgrade them to a 1.42 DUAL processor, over a gig of ram, new AGP card, and any size hard drive. Of course, you will spend some cash to breath new life into the box, but you could and that makes it a valuable machine.

If you take your $300, add RAM, a moderate hard drive and a CPU upgrade, you could price it out for what a new Mini costs and be arguably faster.

For another $400 you could add a dual 1.0, 200 gig drive and 512 RAM. Your machine would be faster than a stock mini and have more expandability.

Just consider the benefits of the machine.

A 200 gig harddrive on that gen of machine would also require a PCI card to read it, unless you want to run it as a 132gig drive...

QCassidy352
Nov 2, 2005, 08:18 PM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say don't just buy panther/tiger; I'd say resell it and get a mini. The powermac very expandable and could be made in to a pretty capable machine, but for what it will cost, you could have a much more modern mac.

disconap
Nov 2, 2005, 09:51 PM
True. It all depends what you need it to do. Hard drives are cheap as hell, and OSX and RAM are both cheap on ebay (go for 10.3, again I've found it's the all around best for the first gen G4s). If you're just talking a mid level home machine for email/internet, then yeah, sell it (you can probably get close to what you paid, or possibly more, on ebay) and get a mini. If you want to do intensive stuff on it, it's a crapshoot, but I still advise keeping it and upgrading it as it needs to be upgraded...

RatVega
Nov 3, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hard drive
Tiger
More ram
And so on.

I only paid 300.00 I still dont think I got a good deal. I always hear my dad saying I think that computer for him was a waste of money has he even been using it Im really mad, I think its a piece of JUNK! Do you think I got a good deal? Boy 9.2 really is making me use my XP more then the apple? Im almost ready to sell it back on eBay! What yall think?

It will be two years (or near enough) before there is a Intel-based PowerMac dualie (or greater) and you won't want to afford that one either.

You bought a Mac from a different century... but that doesn't mean it isn't usable. There are differences between obsolete, usable, and fast. All my G4s are "obsolete", some are still "fast" (my 1.42GHz G4 dualie will outrun my stepson's iMac G5) and all are still "usable". They all run FCP and do a good job.

All the comments about getting OS X and more RAM are good advice. A Mac likes RAM and runs faster/better. But video editing takes other resources too - you'll need/want a LOT more storage (DV is 13.5GB/hour just for the raw clips) All my machines have at least two internal drives and an external. All have more than 1GB RAM. All have dual monitors. If you're serious about cutting some video, the processor speed of the box is the least of your problems.

Hotrodding legend Ed Iskendarian once said "Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?" This applies to computers too...

revisionA
Nov 3, 2005, 06:44 PM
Ditch it.

Dont upgrade it all to hell when you can buy an ibook for 999 thats faster or a mini for 499 thats faster... choose either and dont look back.

Intel on Mac doesnt mean PPC on Mac is going to die instantly.

There is a huge PPC installed base and Apple knows they need to support PPC for at least five years to keep from horrible backlash from their customers who spent several grand on their dual processor machines in the last decade.

$

crazysaxchris
Nov 3, 2005, 08:08 PM
I think I'm going to sell it, if I go in the mac world, I should get a good machine, maybe even new! :rolleyes: Well here are the specs

Powermac G4 500 Dual Gigabit Ethernet
40 gb
512 RAM
one damaged usb port
os 9.2
no other acceserios

how much? ( Please more then 300.00 :) )

Well what do you think I should get after this if I sell it

mac mini
ibook (love em)
imac g4 or g5
powermac mirroed doors

700.00 AT THE MOST! (well maybe a little more :D )

Thanks yall for your help!

MarkCollette
Nov 3, 2005, 08:14 PM
How much RAM does it have right now? How large is the hard drive?

leekohler
Nov 3, 2005, 08:26 PM
OK- first of all don't kick yourself. I have a five+ year-old Powermac G4 350Mhz that I bought on eBay 5 years ago for $900. Over the years, I upgraded the processor to a single 1Ghz, RAM to 1.75 Gb, video card to 64 Mb Radeon 9000 Pro, and HDD to 7200 RPM. It still kicks and is plenty fast. You have a DP PowerMac. I think with more RAM, OS X, and maybe a new video card, you'll be doing fine. Mine still seems faster than my year-old iBook.

MacTruck
Nov 3, 2005, 09:37 PM
I think I'm going to sell it, if I go in the mac world, I should get a good machine, maybe even new! :rolleyes: Well here are the specs

40 gb
512 RAM
one damaged usb port
os 9.2
no other acceserios

What? $300 for that POS?

Just kidding.
:D

kingtj
Nov 4, 2005, 10:56 AM
I've done quite a bit of work with older Macs, because I had a job several years ago refurbing donated ones from schools. At that time, I only owned a Windows PC at home, so I became really interested in making one of these older systems run OS X reasonably well and building it for my own personal use.

After quite a bit of toying around with various options along those lines, I finally splurged and bought a brand new dual 1.42Ghz MDD PowerMac, about 5 months before the G5's were released.

My opinion? The dual 1.42Ghz MDD G4 is *NOT* a very good Mac. Stay away from this one - unless you're getting it so cheap, you can't refuse. Basically, it seemed to be an overclocked 1.2Ghz dual G4 tower, with Apple slapping a bigger heatsink with "heat pipes" on them to try to keep it cool. It wasn't real effective. If you used it in a warm room, it would quickly show signs of overheating. I had everything from green "sparklies" randomly drawing all over my Cinema display to the machine randomly freezing up with the spinning beach-ball. I took it in for repair at one point. Apple kept it a full week before handing it back, claiming "nothing seemed to be wrong with it". (Nonetheless, it came back with all my system preferences trashed and an empty dock. Makes me wonder why someone deleted all of that on a machine they saw "nothing wrong with" at all? More likely, it crashed and messed up its preferences while it was on the test bench, but they never found a reason why or could consistently duplicate the issue - just like it did with me!)

(I ended up selling the thing and got a dual 2.0Ghz G5 - and never looked back. But that's a lot of $'s too!)

I'd also say that sticking with an older Mac makes a lot of sense only if you're doing graphics work that you're comfortable doing in old versions of the software. (EG. I knew a graphics designer who still used MacOS 9.1 all the time and was very frustrated when his old PowerMac 7500 finally died and he had to upgrade to OS X. BUT - he was content using software like Illustrator v5 and Photoshop v3! He did great work in them too. For him, it was simply all he needed to make a living.... In his case, I think the G4 733Mhz tower he bought was a mistake. He would have been happier with another used PowerMac 7500/7600 off eBay or something.)

I agree with the people who suggested a Mac Mini for the original poster. The graphic is the weakest thing on the Mini - but really, only related to fast screen updates when playing 3D games and such. Most "graphics design" work is more concerned with the ability to run in "millions of colors" at a high resolution. My Mini (owned one briefly) worked fine in 16 million color graphics mode at 1600x1200 resolution on a 21" Samsung LCD - so that should be plenty for most people!

Oh and by the way never regret getting a mac, especially a dual no matter what the speed. Dual cpu is the only way to go unless you go quad.

CTSxViper
Nov 4, 2005, 02:12 PM
At this point, you have already invested in the dual 500, so I would recommend looking for the most economical way to update the machine to the point that you will be happy with it for several years. Most processor upgrades will represent a substanial investment, so I would hold off on that and look for inexpensive RAM and a cheap hard drive. Both of those will make your system feel faster and offer the most value.

My "second" Apple is a dual 450 with 1GB of RAM and it seems fairly fast to me. I replaced the original hard drive with a $29 after rebate 7200RPM 120GB from Office Depot and am very satisified.

The neat thing with your system is that you can easily add very inexpensive extra hard drives. Also a lowcost DVD burner from Newegg.

Be patient and look for very low cost upgrades so that you don't substantially increase your investment.

Unlike the mini, your system has multiple RAM slots, so check with friends and neighbors that have old PC's and see if you can find cheap memory updates. If you find either 256MB or 512MB PC100 upgrades it will help a bunch.

As recommended by almost everyone else ditch the old OS and find a good student deal on OS X.

Agreed.. Good sound advice.. :)

cubist
Nov 4, 2005, 02:28 PM
I'd keep it, but don't spend any money on it, other than getting Panther. You should be able to find the PC100 RAM sticks for it FREE from PC users.

Panther will make that machine run faster and better. No question. Import your CDs in iTunes, connect some speakers, and have some fun.

I would not buy a new Mac at this time if I were you. Intel-based machines are about to come out, and the Mini may possibly be the first new model.

cube
Nov 4, 2005, 02:40 PM
I have 576MiB of RAM and it is more than enough for basic use.

seamuskrat
Nov 4, 2005, 02:59 PM
I have a 350 Sawtooth (upgraded to 1.25) that runs a 200 gig at 187 just fine.

No PCI card. A 200 gig harddrive on that gen of machine would also require a PCI card to read it, unless you want to run it as a 132gig drive...

cube
Nov 4, 2005, 03:05 PM

Those are 187 GiB. That's 200GB.

Dane D.
Nov 4, 2005, 03:46 PM
My opinion? The dual 1.42Ghz MDD G4 is *NOT* a very good Mac.

I agree, I maintain a dual 867 mirrored door unit here at work (advertising agency) running OS 9.2.2. Nothing but crashes and other abnormalities. I suppose if it were running OS 10.3.9 it might be more stable. We are forced to run OS 9 because the powers that be, don't believe in constant upgrading. Plus our software is all OS 9 (QuarkXpress, Photoshop, Illustrator). Personnally, I would of bought the machine and put all the RAM I could afford to purchase. Install OS 10.3.9 and upgrade with multiple higher capacity HDs. And add another fan, they run hot.

camomac
Nov 4, 2005, 03:59 PM
i would sell it. just from the mere fact that you have regret tells me that you are unhappy. sell it for as much as you can get (even if you lose a little $.) Save a little and buy a mac mini. that sound like what alot of people here are saying aswell.

HOWEVER i don't think that it is a POS.
(although the damaged USB is a little concerning.)

disconap
Nov 5, 2005, 12:00 AM

No PCI card.

Weird. My Sawtooth would only recognize 132 (128 or so actual), and all the documentation I could find said that that's normal. Do you have it partitioned into parts smaller than 132? If not, that's awesome...

Laser47
Nov 5, 2005, 09:41 AM

40 gb
512 RAM
one damaged usb port
os 9.2
no other acceserios

Well what do you think I should get after this if I sell it

mac mini
ibook (love em)
imac g4 or g5
powermac mirroed doors

700.00 AT THE MOST! (well maybe a little more :D )

Thanks yall for your help!
I love the Imac G4 and the PM MDD

VanMac
Nov 5, 2005, 10:06 AM
Can you please slap your dad for me? I got my 2 yr old son a mac mini and it was the best thing I have ever done. When my 3 month old gets up and touches the mouse he gets one too. A computer in this day and age is a must have for anyone. You really can't live without one. Well yu can but you can also take a dump outside and wipe with leaves.

Computer in every home? F that, I got one in every room. :D
Exactly.

I have 3 kids, and 5 computers. Gonna be 6 by the end of the year (computers that is :) ) (Quad baby)