Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

learner2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
I am using a Power Mac G5 with OS 1.0.3.9 - not by choice but necessity - OS 10.3.9 can't be upgraded and I have not been able to afford a newer computer. I am trying to backup my Word documents and pictures. I tried to find an external drive to clone to but can't find a way to do that because OS 10.3.9 is too old. I tried to move everything to an online back up system but can't find one that works for OS 10.3.9 - too old. I am now trying to copy my Word documents to a flash disk - Kingston Data Traveler 101 - but keep getting error messages because the titles of my documents have forbidden characters. Each time I get an error message the flash disk starts the copying process all over from the beginning. I can't find a way to get the flash drive to resume the process, it starts from the beginning. I have many Word docs so it would take me days if not weeks to go through all of my documents and remove all of the forbidden characters. I would very much appreciate any information, ideas, etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am using a Power Mac G5 with OS 1.0.3.9 - not by choice but necessity - OS 10.3.9 can't be upgraded and I have not been able to afford a newer computer. I am trying to backup my Word documents and pictures. I tried to find an external drive to clone to but can't find a way to do that because OS 10.3.9 is too old. I tried to move everything to an online back up system but can't find one that works for OS 10.3.9 - too old. I am now trying to copy my Word documents to a flash disk - Kingston Data Traveler 101 - but keep getting error messages because the titles of my documents have forbidden characters. Each time I get an error message the flash disk starts the copying process all over from the beginning. I can't find a way to get the flash drive to resume the process, it starts from the beginning. I have many Word docs so it would take me days if not weeks to go through all of my documents and remove all of the forbidden characters. I would very much appreciate any information, ideas, etc.
What makes you think 10.3.9 cannot be upgraded?

Any PowerMac G5 is capable of running OSX 10.5 Leopard.

And why is 10.3.9 too old when Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 still works on 10.3.9? Google is your friend!

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
Dropbox!

Dropbox is the solution. Start an account and get as much free space as you can. Then throw everything that you would put on a flash drive on your Dropbox. Easiest solution that I can think of really.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Dropbox is the solution. Start an account and get as much free space as you can. Then throw everything that you would put on a flash drive on your Dropbox. Easiest solution that I can think of really.
Obviously you missed the statement that the OP is running OSX 10.3.9. Dropbox needs a minimum of Tiger, OSX 10.4.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Web interface?
Oh sure. I suppose you could do it that way if it was the last resort.

Frankly though I'm not in to the level of pain that would require uploading hundreds of files using a web browser. Unless Dropbox has a multifile upload feature? And what if you need to backup more than 2GB of files?

Sounds sketchy trying to get it to work though with a browser that can only run in 10.3.9. Pretty sure Dropbox has some minimum requirements for the web interface and while probably still possible, I'm not sure just how doable it would be.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
i also recommend carbon copy cloner. I've used with 10.3 and had no trouble.

if you're comfortable with a terminal, there are also some CLI tools you could use.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.