PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC 6 is here!

iJon
Dec 18, 2002, 09:40 AM
Virtual PC 6 is now out. It says to have speed increases of 25% in Mac OS X, better back up support, dock intergration. I believe you can mount your hard drives again on the desktop like in version 4. Also increased Video memory if i read correctly. although in the read me it says it still doesnt support 3d accelerated games. but maybe crappy games will fun nicely now. check it out for yourself. appears to be shipping now.

http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc6m.html

pncc
Dec 18, 2002, 10:02 AM
The VPC Read Me describes OS X 10.2.3.

So when will this be released??:confused:

Mac til death
Dec 18, 2002, 12:22 PM
VPC should have been 25% faster than it is when they released 5.0

Connectix (aren't they owned by Sony now?) can **** if they want me to pay $100 for an upgrade that is essentially something their software should have been when I paid their outrageous price in the first place....

anyway... I hope there is more than just a speed increase.

I'm off to get a hair cut...

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Mac til death

LOL i found this hillarious for some reason.....:p funny way to end a post gave me a good chuckle.

Oh by the way i agree with you VPC 5 was awful i didnt even bother to purchase it. I had vpc 4 in os 9 and it ran much better than vpc 5 in OS X.

I may however have to purchase vpc 6 as i'll be the only mac in an all windows environment this year...

pgwalsh
Dec 18, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Mac til death
nice.... I'll be getting one today too. As I have an interview with Sun tomorrow.

moi37
Dec 18, 2002, 02:27 PM
edited

pgwalsh
Dec 18, 2002, 02:47 PM
edited

Thirteenva
Dec 18, 2002, 03:06 PM
WOW this thread has taken quite the turn.....:eek:

Backtothemac
Dec 18, 2002, 03:42 PM
Hey,
Please keep the thread on topic! Also, the graphic descussion can be left out. Remember there are a lot of people here under 18. Keep it clean please.

jelloshotsrule
Dec 18, 2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Hey,
Please keep the thread on topic! Also, the graphic descussion can be left out. Remember there are a lot of people here under 18. Keep it clean please.

as opposed to the various babe desktop pictures.... ;)

bousozoku
Dec 18, 2002, 04:10 PM
All that licking should have cleaned up something. Maybe those haircuts should have been just above the shoulders. :D Those under 18 probably know more interesting things than the ones over 18. :D

It's a little early for Connectix to be bringing out another version. If it's just speed, it's too little for $99. Wasn't the last few $79? Why would this one be worth $20 more? Is dock integration so wonderful? I don't think I want to put Windows applications in my dock anyway. Let's see...better printer support, higher resolution support due to increased video memory. $99?

Mac til death
Dec 18, 2002, 04:28 PM
edited

Over Achiever
Dec 18, 2002, 05:22 PM
Ok....back on topic here :rolleyes:

What 10.2.3? According to the system requirements found here (http://www.connectix.com/products/popup_vpc6m_sysreq.html), it requires 10.2.1.

Mac OS 9
- Any native G3 or G4 Macintosh with a CD-ROM drive
- Mac OS 9.2.2

Mac OS X
- Requires a minimum 500MHz native G3 or G4 Macintosh with a CD-ROM drive
- Mac OS X v. 10.1.5 or 10.2.1(Jaguar) or later

* Optimal performance requires a future release of Mac OS X, L3 cache, NVIDIA Ge Force or ATI Radeon video card.
However I can see where you're getting the 10.2.3 from ;)

Cool, 25% speed increase is significant in my book. Anyway, here is a list of the new features.
•Speed improvement
–Up to 25% faster on Mac OS X*
•Dock integration
–Launch Windows applications directly from the Mac OS X Dock.
•Enhanced back-up support
–Desktop Drive Mounting in Virtual PC on Mac OS X makes it easier to back-up your Windows files. Plus you’ll be able to use Mac OS tools like Sherlock®to search the contents of your drive images and easily find the specific files you are looking for.
•Improved printing
–Improved USB printing support for increased compatibility.
•Video support for Apple’s monitors including the 23” Cinema Display
–Full screen support for resolutions up to 1920x1200 in true color.
•Self-contained configurations
–If you manage a lab and rely on Virtual PC, your virtual machine data is now self-contained, which makes it easy to transfer virtual machines between Macs. This makes installation on several machines a snap.

Over Achiever
Dec 18, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by iJon
Also increased Video memory if i read correctly. although in the read me it says it still doesnt support 3d accelerated games. but maybe crappy games will fun nicely now. check it out for yourself. appears to be shipping now.

The video memory has been increased to 8 MB.

jelloshotsrule
Dec 18, 2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever

The video memory has been increased to 8 MB.

hmm. i thought it was 8.... was it 4? or 6?

blah. 8's still too weak.

MrMacMan
Dec 18, 2002, 07:57 PM
Wake me up when I can play Counter-Strike on my mac. :D
No please, tell me when a version has real upgrades, I don't care how 'blazin' fast something is if the quality bites

iJon
Dec 18, 2002, 10:27 PM
hey guys, this isnt much of an upgrade. I still is slow and crappy. windows 2000 runs decently though. i have a dual ghz mdd with 256 ram. personally i dont think it was worth 99 dollars.

iJon

MacAztec
Dec 18, 2002, 11:14 PM
I think VPC is stupid. It is so damn slow, and it practically serves no purpose. Give me an app that PC has that Mac doesnt *not a game*

Now, I got a haircut too today! It looks good, really, its like the bset one i ever had.

chmorley
Dec 18, 2002, 11:40 PM
I think it's all right. The speed difference is noticeable, although I get the sense that the final release of 10.2.3 will give it a greater speed bump.

$99? I don't know. I don't think any of us will know fur sure until the final version of 10.2.3 is released. Who knows how it will be different from the seeded betas...

As for an app it runs that isn't available on the Mac, the list is long. The primary two on my list are a) the one that accompanies Polar Heart Rate Monitors and b) the Biofeedback software that runs both ThoughtTechnologies and J & J equipment. Unfortunately, the interface the Polar software uses to transfer data from their heart rate monitors doesn't work in Virtual PC. Less important is the treatment database (written in Visual Basic) written for a company I work for.

Much of the specialized stuff is available only for the PC. These things may not mean much if you're in 8th grade, but they matter in the real world. It's a drag, and I'll never switch, but I may be forced to buy a PC laptop to do some work.

Chris

voyagerd
Dec 19, 2002, 12:11 AM
DUDE, the video card VPC emulates has been upgraded to 16 MB of Video RAM (VRAM). This really helps games. The app as well as the os is much faster as Connectix advertised, for once. I like the apps in dock thing, other cool stuff too.

Dr. Distortion
Dec 19, 2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by MacAztec
I think VPC is stupid. It is so damn slow, and it practically serves no purpose. Give me an app that PC has that Mac doesnt *not a game*

I'll immediately dump my pc if you can provide me with a fully functional microsoft Outlook for macos X. I _need_ to use outlook since our whole university works with it. Without it it would be much harder for me to organize meetings, get email addresses from people on campus, etc.

-Dr. D.

iJon
Dec 19, 2002, 12:57 PM
i have a vpc6 on a dual ghz mdd with 256mgs of ram. I am also running 10.2.3 and it doenst feel all that much faster. 2000 rusn quite nice though. I havent played with ti much. i have a pimped out pc so i really dont need this program but i like to have it anyways.

iJon

chmorley
Dec 19, 2002, 01:52 PM
i have a vpc6 on a dual ghz mdd with 256mgs of ram. I am also running 10.2.3 and it doenst feel all that much faster.As you yourself have pointed out, the actual release of 10.2.3 may be even better than the seeded betas. We can speculate, but no one really knows how well this thing will run on the final release of 10.2.3.

Chris

barkmonster
Dec 19, 2002, 02:20 PM

Kazaa/Kazaa Lite
Slsk

Essential if you want to actually find anything and ever hope to download it, limewire and all the other gnutella clients have far fewer files, even the openNap clients on the mac don't compare to Kazaa and slsk for getting as many files. I'm talking whitelabel electronic tunes, DJ sets and obscure music videos here, not britney mp3s!!

Acid
Fruity loops
Granulab
Gigasampler

All of them quite cool and not available for the mac, I'm building up my dads old PC purely to run gigasampler on it sometime next year, I can palm off the major cpu overhead of software synthesis on a second machine and get to run more plug-ins on my mac with the extra cpu time I'll have left over. I bject to having to run windows so I might even find a way of running the PC with no monitor so it's more like a hardware sampler.

VPC can run the filesharing apps and Granulab no problem assuming you don't mind crappy screen redraws. I personally think that I'd pay for a brand new copy of VPC with XP once I've got a faster mac. It's handy to have.

SilvorX
Dec 19, 2002, 02:40 PM
if there will be only 8 megs of vram, then it'll probably be as fast as my pc, since it only has 8 mb of vram :(, that and a slow processor...

mac15
Dec 19, 2002, 03:15 PM
It runs nice on my system, enough to open kazza, I set it to 16msb vram and its nice. Fairly speedy now compared to 5. I think this is a great update, well done connectix.

I'm using

iMac g4 700mhz
512mbs ram
OSX 10.2.3

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2002, 05:22 PM
Ok, well 10.2.3. is out, final release. Speedwise, ok?

kiwi_the_iwik
Dec 19, 2002, 07:51 PM
I still think it would be better for Connectix to address the vram solution at the source - currently, all emulation is done via the Mac's processor (including DirectX emulation), and none of the graphic work is offloaded to the Mac's graphic card. This makes for much slower PC emulation in the end.

If Connectix were to do a "Quartz Extreme", for instance, and utilise the graphics card's power to do the screen redraws and computations (thus freeing up the CPU to get down to the essentials of emulating the Pentium without having to worry about placing pixels), they would truly have a PC-beater...

(...and give you the ability to play any damned game you want to...)

:cool:

taeclee99
Dec 19, 2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by mac15
It runs nice on my system, enough to open kazza, I set it to 16msb vram and its nice. Fairly speedy now compared to 5. I think this is a great update, well done connectix.

I'm using

iMac g4 700mhz
512mbs ram
OSX 10.2.3

How did you set it to use 16 megs of v ram? I cant find it in the settings.

chmorley
Dec 19, 2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Ok, well 10.2.3. is out, final release. Speedwise, ok? Very nice, actually. The difference is noticeable. It actually feels like more than 25% in some regards.

Chris

taeclee99
Dec 19, 2002, 09:28 PM
Never mind. I figured it out.

VPC 6 runs like a champ on my new tibook 1 gig. It runs Windows 2000 noticeably faster than before. Now back to downloading from kazaa and the newsgroups.

Over Achiever
Dec 19, 2002, 09:47 PM
Thats great news. Looks like I can use my old scientific programs on a shiny new GHz tibook...this is great.:)

Just what I wanted to hear.:D

AssassinOfGates
Dec 20, 2002, 09:07 AM
So has anyone tried playing the earliest 3d games yet? Jedi Knight I or Counter-Strike for example? I have an old copy of JK I that I would like to play, but my dad's pc recently died.

also, why all the edits? what am i missing?

SilvorX
Dec 20, 2002, 09:53 AM
mac15 was telling me that in order to get up to 16 megs of vram, you should convert the ram into vram (probably in settings or preferences or something :S)
now 16megs of vram sounds reasonable :), more than my peecee for sure

MrMacMan
Dec 20, 2002, 02:12 PM
Wow, a whole 16 MB V-Ram, w00t.
Now back to my question, for pure fun can you play CS with that? :D
No really, if you can I will get it, if not I'll wait till the next version and that basically means Summer. :rolleyes: Compared to there timeline of releases.

Scottgfx
Dec 21, 2002, 06:10 AM

Avid iNews (Television Newsroom Software)

I'm currently running it on a DualG4-500 with VPC5 and Windows 2000.

Hey, you asked!

MrMacMan
Dec 22, 2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Wow, a whole 16 MB V-Ram, w00t.
Now back to my question, for pure fun can you play CS with that? :D
No really, if you can I will get it, if not I'll wait till the next version and that basically means Summer. :rolleyes: Compared to there timeline of releases.
Anyone wanna answer my question?

Pedro Estarque
Dec 22, 2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
...all emulation is done via the Mac's processor (including DirectX emulation), and none of the graphic work is offloaded to the Mac's graphic card. This makes for much slower PC emulation in the end.

Graphic card's use is definitively the way to go.It would be a huge speed increase, though it must be difficult to code.
Wouldn't it be possible to to port win32 API ( sort of like WINE) to the PPC chip so that programs could access the instructions directly and unaltered insted of translating it? Some programs (games) access hardware directly, and in that case it shouldn't help, but most don't, at least not at all times.I think yellowbox was something like that, wasn't it?(Rhapsody)
If that is impossible or extremely hard, could't connectix build an emulator around WINE that doesn't have the overhead of a full
win OS?
What do you think?

MrMacMan
Dec 22, 2002, 09:18 PM
These updates seem a little cheap to me...
If a revamped code is what they need, they should do it I mean then they will really sell some of these.
Basically for any thing new for PC's you probably can't run, sure you have the new OS but can you run the programs?
Not the new ones.
16 MB Graphic, ech.
Also, did anyone try what I asked before? :D (no really please do.)

iJon
Dec 23, 2002, 12:15 AM
I am putting CS on my computer right now. I cant remember how to allowcate more video memory to my computer. If someone tells me how Ill test out cs. I am using windows 2000.

iJon

iJon
Dec 23, 2002, 12:50 AM
Here you guys go, I will play it soon and tell how it goes. here is a pic just to let you know it works. This is a dual ghz mdd, 256mb, with windows 2000 with 16mb vram and 96mb memory to windows.

iJon

iJon
Dec 23, 2002, 12:57 AM
Ok guys, this runs like s***. I get between 4-5 frames a second. max is like 10 with the screen really tiny. I would have to recommend saving your hundred dollars and going and buying a cheap a** emachine or gateway to play this game. sorry guys. I really dont think more ram will help this game much.

iJon

chmorley
Dec 23, 2002, 10:52 AM
Have you tried it in full-screen mode? Might seem a little counter-intuitive, but it's been widely reported (and my own experience, as well) that VPC runs fastest in full-screen mode--perhaps because the CPU doesn't have to "think" about screen re-draws in the background.

I still bet it would be un-playable.

Chris

MrMacMan
Dec 23, 2002, 02:01 PM
I am putting CS on my computer right now. I cant remember how to allowcate more video memory to my computer. If someone tells me how Ill test out cs. I am using windows 2000.

iJon

Yes, score one for testing! :)
Edit: Killed off the rest of my post.
What are you running that on again?
Try different modes, first Full Screen VPC with another video mode for CS (opengl, software, Direct, I think are options) and see if you can pump memory into that sucker :D
If not I'll wait for 7 I guess (maybe they can get it to a 4 year old Video Memory preference) yay 32 MB (hopes).

Huked on Fonick
Dec 28, 2002, 01:09 AM

Can we say Kazza????????

I would allmost by vpc to run KAZZA but i can get a actual....not vertual PC for like the same price....hmmmm

MrMacMan
Dec 28, 2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Huked on Fonick

Can we say Kazza????????

I would allmost by vpc to run KAZZA but i can get a actual....not vertual PC for like the same price....hmmmm
*cough*
Neo
*cough*

jadam
Dec 28, 2002, 06:40 PM
*cough*
neo sucks
*cough*

its a great program and all, but it aint no kazaa.

dude try running CS at 640x480 and put it on full screen.

MrMacMan
Dec 29, 2002, 12:11 AM
Neo is not perfect, just not a Kazza.
I don't know what is really wrong with it...

testnull
Dec 29, 2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by AssassinOfGates
So has anyone tried playing the earliest 3d games yet? Jedi Knight I or Counter-Strike for example? I have an old copy of JK I that I would like to play, but my dad's pc recently died.

Haven't tried either of those, and don't have 6 yet, but Descent 1 and 2 both ran just fine under VPC. I would expect that if Jedi Knight I had a comparable engine (or even a little heavier) it would work fine.

iJon
Dec 29, 2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by testnull

Haven't tried either of those, and don't have 6 yet, but Descent 1 and 2 both ran just fine under VPC. I would expect that if Jedi Knight I had a comparable engine (or even a little heavier) it would work fine.
well ive tried counter strike as you can see from my earlier posts. dont get to excited, runs like crap. and i have a great machine.

iJon

chmorley
Dec 29, 2002, 07:19 PM
well ive tried counter strike as you can see from my earlier posts. dont get to excited, runs like crap. and i have a great machine.

iJon Still waiting for your results with the suggestions that have been posted.

Chris

iJon
Dec 29, 2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by chmorley
Still waiting for your results with the suggestions that have been posted.

Chris
ok guys, i did what you all asked me to do. I turned everything to 640 by 480. seemed pretty smooth running around and shooting. i got a solid 12 frames a second. on my pc with a 2ghz p4 and geforce 4 ti 4400 128mb i get about 72 frames a second. the only problem is the size of the screen. the screen is so small it is hard to move straight using the mouse. i turned mouse sensitivity to the lowest possible but stilll very annoying when moving. if that problem can be fixed this may actually be playable. buy you guys got to conisider i have a great mac. unless you have a really really good mac, this wont even be worth my time. im not even gonna bother with it anymore, im to hooked on battlefield 1942 and americas army on my pc. if you guys want me to try any more things just drop a post and ill do it as soon as possible.

iJon

MrMacMan
Dec 30, 2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks anyways iJon. :(

Pedro Estarque
Jan 2, 2003, 01:07 PM
I've been using this version for a week or two and it "unexpectedly quits" a lot.But today win98 shown a blue screen and my mac went down, like the old OS9 would. I mean, the mouse did't move and even force quit didn't worked either.Never seen this before in OSX. 10.2.3

job
Jan 2, 2003, 02:49 PM

That's quite interesting.

A week ago I had normal HL on my iMac (400Mhz, 512MB RAM, 8MB ATi) with VPC 5.0.4

I set all the settings to low and set the resolution to something similar in size to a postage stamp. It ran quite smoothly under full screen mode.

Anyways...

flahiker
Jan 3, 2003, 09:32 AM
I am an engineer and need to run EDA software. Most of it is not graphic intensive. Ex. Orcad, Pads Layout, Xilinx dev tools, Synplicity, Modelsim... and various embedded compilers.

I can use a PC with VNC but it is slow over 802.11b. I am gonna need a new laptop and was thinking about changing to a powerbook or ibook. I would need to run VPC for my EDA tools. Can someone give a coarse comparison to what an equilivant PC would be?

Ex: 1G TIbook => 400MH PC? Hopefully better...

How would an ibook fare?

MrMacMan
Jan 3, 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by hitman

That's quite interesting.

A week ago I had normal HL on my iMac (400Mhz, 512MB RAM, 8MB ATi) with VPC 5.0.4

I set all the settings to low and set the resolution to something similar in size to a postage stamp. It ran quite smoothly under full screen mode.

Anyways...

These are 2 very conflicting reports, one says runs like **** and the next says the previous version can run it fine :confused: ...
Um... that is very weird.

rainman::|:|
Jan 3, 2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Pedro Estarque
I've been using this version for a week or two and it "unexpectedly quits" a lot.But today win98 shown a blue screen and my mac went down, like the old OS9 would. I mean, the mouse did't move and even force quit didn't worked either.Never seen this before in OSX. 10.2.3

i upgraded last night, and not only did it unexpectedly quit, it caused EVERY OTHER PROGRAM on my mac to quit repeatedly, then it deleted about 1/4 of my preferences, and when i tried to restart, it restarted the finder, not the system. how odd. anyway things are ok now, after fighting with the additions for hours i finally got them installed, it does run fast enough to not be AWFUL now... fast enough for file-sharing, etc.

edit: okay, i spoke too soon, now it's decided that my hard drive image, after having been automatically converted, isn't compatible, and is locked to boot (no pun intended)... i had this problem in 5, i can't believe i'm doing this all again... BAH i hate VPC!

:)
pnw

MrMacMan
Jan 3, 2003, 06:34 PM
Bah, my god-father got it so he is gonna share it with me, so maybe I'll install it and see how it runs for me, I guess its case by case basis. :-/

jes13
Jan 4, 2003, 04:30 PM
Someone please 'explain' what does >>>>>>>>>>10.1.5 or 10.2.1 this mean??? (New) :confused:

Kashchei
Jan 5, 2003, 12:32 AM
I just read on MacBidouille that VPC 6 has a bug that causes it to crash on all G3 machines. They explain that this is not the fault of the beta testers, but something that Connectix added after the beta testing was done. MacBidouille claims that there will be an update posted on the Connectix website for next week's MWSF. Here's my question: by any chance do the people who wrote in with problems with VPC 6 have G3 machines? Just wondering.

Pedro Estarque
Jan 5, 2003, 02:05 PM
thats interesting, I have a G3. At least it isn't a problem with my system only. Do the folks at connectix changed VPC6's code to access the kernel directly?I thought that was the only way to crash OSX. Maybe they are trying to boost speed by doing that. I hope they fix it, as you said