PDA

View Full Version : Flashing menu bar on iBook

mistermr
Nov 3, 2005, 05:26 AM
I recently picked up a 700MHz G3 iBook. I did a clean install of the Jaguar operating system with the disks that came with it. I then upgraded with Panther. With Panther loaded, the Finder never loads completely. The menu bar flashes and the desktop is blank. The dock is present and I am able to launch applications from it but can't see or access anything on the hard drive from the Finder.

I repeated the clean install of Jaguar which works fine but get the same result once it is upgraded to Panther. I am back to just Jaguar again. Anyone know why this is happening with Panther and how I can successfully update to Panther?:confused:

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:28 AM
Have you tried doing a clean install of Panther rather than an upgrade? :)

mistermr
Nov 3, 2005, 05:34 AM
I thought about doing the clean install but want to keep the World Book application that comes on the restore disk. I'm not sure if I can load the bundled software after a clean install of Panther.

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:38 AM
Yeah, you can load them on afterwards if you want to. I recommend clean-installing Panther and then using either the installer on the disks to custom install different apps back on, or using an app called Pacifist (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743) to extract the packages and install the rest of the apps that way (for the ones that won't let you custom install). :)

mistermr
Nov 3, 2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks, MJ, I'll give it a shot later.

mad jew
Nov 3, 2005, 05:42 AM
No problem. Good luck with it. :)

Dreadnought
Nov 3, 2005, 12:59 PM
Repare your permissions, if that doesn't help, after startup do a force quit on the finder. It will load the finder again and rebuild the desktop. Good luck!

mistermr
Nov 4, 2005, 01:53 PM
MJ, the clean install worked perfectly! Thanks! The software restore afterwards was flawless. Thanks again. :)