PDA

View Full Version : Need Answer - New to Mac!

vtrbabe
Nov 4, 2005, 02:45 AM
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a 2nd hand Apple Mac iBook but know absolutely nothing about them. I'm used to desktop pc's. But got if for a good price so thought why not!

Anyway i would like as much info about it as possible. It is model: A1005. Is this a G3 or G4 etc, It has an airport card, what is this? It has OS X, whats this and finally how do i connect to the internet?

I know im asking alot of questions but i dont know where or who else to ask. Hope you can help me :)

Thanks

liketom
Nov 4, 2005, 02:51 AM
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a 2nd hand Apple Mac iBook but know absolutely nothing about them. I'm used to desktop pc's. But got if for a good price so thought why not!

Anyway i would like as much info about it as possible. It is model: A1005. Is this a G3 or G4 etc, It has an airport card, what is this? It has OS X, whats this and finally how do i connect to the internet?

I know im asking alot of questions but i dont know where or who else to ask. Hope you can help me :)

Thanks
thats the battery i think ,

if you click on the apple logo top left and then about this mac - it will tell you every thing you need to know ie G3/G4 how fast and ram and more in more info

rdowns
Nov 4, 2005, 03:22 AM
This would be a good place for you to start

http://www.apple.com/switch/

russed
Nov 4, 2005, 03:23 AM
airport is just the wireless networking card.

to connect to the internet, have you got wireless internet or are you on dial up, or are you on broadband?

depending upon that, either plug yourself into the wall via the moden if you are still on dial up, and then under applications look for "internet connect"

if you have broadband with say just a modem - plug yourself into it! some of the usb ones dont work with mac i think so you may have to go out and find another one, alternativly, it its a network cable one (sorry dont know the name of it!) just plug it in and that will work!

if you have got wireless, look for a symbol in the bar at the top that is like 4 lines getting bigger and are slightly curved - click on it to turn airport on (if its not on) if it is you should be able to select the appropriate network!

you will not regret your purchace! things may feel a bit abnormal at first but you will soon get used to it! and if you need anything, we are here to help!

vtrbabe
Nov 4, 2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks for all your help everyone...and sooo fast with it too! This forum is GREAT!

Thanks again, Andrea (vtrbabe)

MacSA
Nov 4, 2005, 03:58 AM
http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

vtrbabe
Nov 4, 2005, 04:14 AM
I think i have wireless, ive got the symbol in the bar at the top that is like 4 lines getting bigger and are slightly curved, and it is turned ON.

When i click it the drop down menu is as follows:
TURN AIRPORT OFF
OTHER...
CREATE NETWORK...
OPEN INTERNET CONNECT...

So what do i do now to get connected to the internet?

I have broadband internet running on my desktop PC at the moment. But would like to be able to connect using the airport thingy so my boyfriend can continue to use the internet on the PC while i'm using the Mac.

Chundles
Nov 4, 2005, 04:34 AM
You need a wireless router to plug the modem into, then plug the PC into the router so that it can use the net too. You should then be able to see the network when you click on that drop down menu. Select that network and away you go.

Passante
Nov 4, 2005, 05:02 AM
To get all the details on your Mac click on the Apple in the upper left side. Click first item, "About this Mac" In the about this mac window click on the button "More info..."

All you want to know will be there opps liketom said it first. How did I miss that?

vtrbabe
Nov 4, 2005, 06:28 AM
So does that mean i need to buy one of those base station things? or is there something else i could buy. As i said its got the airport card thingy but nothing else.

fayans
Nov 4, 2005, 06:32 AM
Yes, go get an airport express. That way you could share your BF internet connection and printer wirelessly. ;)

liketom
Nov 4, 2005, 06:34 AM
Yes, go get an airport express. That way you could share your BF internet connection and printer wirelessly. ;)
but any wifi router will do as well Belkin or yuk D-link

fayans
Nov 4, 2005, 06:38 AM
but any wifi router will do as well Belkin or yuk D-link
No objection to that! ;)

vtrbabe
Nov 4, 2005, 07:15 AM
Awwww thanks alot everyone for all your help. I've been really stuck!
Your the BEST!!! :)