Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyrexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Please write software so that when the Universal Dock is plugged into a computer over USB it no longer controls the iPod resting in it over Infared, but controls the computer in applications like iTunes, Quicktime, etc...

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
pyrexx said:
Please write software so that when the Universal Dock is plugged into a computer over USB it no longer controls the iPod resting in it over Infared, but controls the computer in applications like iTunes, Quicktime, etc...
OK, I will. Just for you, but remember it will require a lot of hacking and can destroy the firmware on your iPod and leave your wallet short of $555.55, but I'll do my best :)

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
pyrexx said:

I think that a better use of time and money would be to buy a remote meant for this actual purpose, such as the RemoteWonder of Keyspan

john_satc

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2005
B'ham Uk
On a side note: Anyone with the universal dock and remote using with a new iPod (vid) does the menu button on the remote work for you?

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
john_satc said:
On a side note: Anyone with the universal dock and remote using with a new iPod (vid) does the menu button on the remote work for you?

The menu button is not supposed to work with the iPod to control the menus.

pyrexx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
you see using the Dock as an IR port also kills 2 birds with one stone. The software to run it should work like this...

When an iPod is plugged into the dock, the dock works as it does now... Controlling the iPod with the remote.

When the iPod is physically removed (or dragged to the eject icon on the dock but is still sitting in the dock) the dock should be used as an IR receiver to control iTunes, Quicktime, >>Front Row<<, etc...

Is this possible?

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
I'll do it for $120,000 and some flatbread.

Why don't you just use iTunes & a keyspan remote hooked up to a mac mini? Almost the same price as an iPod+Dock+remote+speakers

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
pyrexx said:
you see using the Dock as an IR port also kills 2 birds with one stone. The software to run it should work like this...

When an iPod is plugged into the dock, the dock works as it does now... Controlling the iPod with the remote.

When the iPod is physically removed (or dragged to the eject icon on the dock but is still sitting in the dock) the dock should be used as an IR receiver to control iTunes, Quicktime, >>Front Row<<, etc...

Is this possible?

Yes I want to know too....want a dock in my living room so I can control iTunes from there.....anyone know ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.