PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Do To Keep Your Mac Clean?

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:29 AM
Hey everyone!

I was wondering what everyone did to keep there Macs clean? I use a plain microfiber cloth to clean off the screen and body of my eMac. Any other suggestions to keep my eMac looking brand new?

Chaszmyr
Nov 5, 2005, 10:30 AM
It's not like the eMac is difficult to clean, use the same stuff to clean it that you would to clean any other electronic device.

dops7107
Nov 5, 2005, 10:32 AM
Compressed air is great for blowing out the dust from the keyboard. And after a while the keys start to get a bit grimey, so I use a dampened cloth with a *little* detergent to keep my white keys nice n' sparkly.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 10:35 AM
iClean!
it's AWESOME!

$10 a bottle and it will last you a long time, even if you obsessively clean it every week.

I got mine about a year ago, and I still have about 3/4 of the bottle.
I use it with a microfiber cloth I got from the DOLLAR STORE!

*DOLLAR STORE!!*

maya
Nov 5, 2005, 10:39 AM
damp micro-fiber cloth does the trick on my iMac G5. :)

puckhead193
Nov 5, 2005, 10:42 AM
iClean!
it's AWESOME!

$10 a bottle and it will last you a long time, even if you obsessively clean it every week.

iklear is better :p :p

iGary
Nov 5, 2005, 10:42 AM
The G5 gets a Windex Wipe cleaning once a week, the display gets a damp paper towel wipe down three or four times a week, and I blow out the inside ofthe G5 one every other week for dust.

I use iKlear on the iBook weekly, blow out the keyboard once a week.

The Dell has a pile of dust on it.

puckhead193
Nov 5, 2005, 10:44 AM
ROTFL, us mac users take pride in our computers:cool:

maya
Nov 5, 2005, 10:47 AM
ROTFL, us mac users take pride in our computers:cool:

LOL, you mean the cost of the investment. Same would go for a car I guess.

If you bought a Neon, one would care less than if they invested in a BMW S5. ;) :)

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:48 AM
It's not like the eMac is difficult to clean, use the same stuff to clean it that you would to clean any other electronic device.

I was just wondering what other people use to clean there Macs with. I know the eMac isn't hard to clean, cause I clean it every couple of days. :rolleyes:

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:49 AM
The G5 gets a Windex Wipe cleaning once a week, the display gets a damp paper towel wipe down three or four times a week, and I blow out the inside ofthe G5 one every other week for dust.

I use iKlear on the iBook weekly, blow out the keyboard once a week.

Hey iGary, do you think a Windex Wipe would work well on the eMac's glass CRT screen? Cause I sprayed Windex on a paper towel to clean it off, but it made it worse (Yes I know, I'm a bad person for doing something like that ;) ) O btw, thanks for reminding me I need to dust off my mom's Dell! :D :rolleyes:

maya
Nov 5, 2005, 10:49 AM
I was just wondering what other people use to clean there Macs with. I know the eMac isn't hard to clean, cause I clean it every couple of days. :rolleyes:

Kinda excessive don't you think. :eek: :p :)

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:51 AM
Compressed air is great for blowing out the dust from the keyboard. And after a while the keys start to get a bit grimey, so I use a dampened cloth with a *little* detergent to keep my white keys nice n' sparkly.

I'll have to check that out. I've read many times before that is the best thing for cleaning out keyboards. I actually took mine apart this morning becuase the clear plastic bottom part was really dirty. Had never been cleaned in 1yr, 1 week of ownership, so I thought it was time.

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:52 AM
Kinda excessive don't you think. :eek: :p :)

LOL! My room is really dusty, and I don't like seeing my eMac dusty! :) :p

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 10:54 AM
iClean!
it's AWESOME!

I got mine about a year ago, and I still have about 3/4 of the bottle.
I use it with a microfiber cloth I got from the DOLLAR STORE!

*DOLLAR STORE!!*

Hey do you know if they sell that at Apple Stores? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks and it would be great if I could pick some up.

maya
Nov 5, 2005, 10:55 AM
LOL! My room is really dusty, and I don't like seeing my eMac dusty! :) :p

Is your room ventilated properly? Construction happening in your room, or its about time you clean your room. ;) :)

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 11:02 AM
Is your room ventilated properly? Construction happening in your room, or its about time you clean your room. ;) :)

I usually dust my room every 2 weeks, and the house was built in April 2002 and my dad says (who built the house) that the dust is due to settling. My grandmother's 35 year old house is a lot less dusty than mine, so I guess it is the settling or something.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 11:10 AM
Hey do you know if they sell that at Apple Stores? I'm planning on going in a couple of weeks and it would be great if I could pick some up.

Yup! they sell it at the Apple store! they even come with microfiber cloths! :D
I think $25? Look it up on Apple.com, it'll be on there.

Aarow
Nov 5, 2005, 11:21 AM
I've never cleaned my mac mini, but I clean my desk and keyboard with hospital grade antibacterial wipes pretty much everyday. My aunt brought them from the hospital when my brother was diagnosed with leukimia (gotta make sure there's no mold or anything).

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 5, 2005, 11:25 AM
I also got the iKlear, although not the bottle, but the little 'travel' packs, which is essentially 2 cloths, one wet, and one dry. You use the wet one to clean, and the dry one to wipe it off... plus, it comes with a little microfiber cloth that is used to give my powerbook that extra 'polish' :D I usually do that once a month (wet/dry method), but usually once a week i'll whip it down with a cloth, and compress-air my keyboards (powerbook and wireless)

terriyaki
Nov 5, 2005, 01:52 PM
Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.

devilot
Nov 5, 2005, 02:55 PM
Guys, what do you use to clean the outer shell of the iBook? Not like the palm rest area.. but like the shell area of the case when it is closed.. in particular the top of the case where the apple logo is?

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.I actually also use iKlear on the outside shell of my iBook. As for those 'stubborn marks' resulting from your case (I'll assume you mean the case you keep your 'book in), I'd suggest you get a better case. It's there to protect your 'book-- it shouldn't cause problems.

stevep
Nov 5, 2005, 02:57 PM

I've got these really stubborn marks kind of imprinted onto my case from my bag. Help.
You can use metal polish to get rid if scratches, and it also is good for getting rid of marks picked up from other things like bags, ink from pens and so on. In the UK you can get Brasso and Silvo - the latter is ideal as it has a much finer abrasive in it. Whatever you use its best to try a small area out of sight first (on an iBook I would go for the battery cover) just to be certain. Be careful that the cloth is very soft and very clean, otherwise you'll add more scratches.

iSaint
Nov 5, 2005, 03:00 PM
iClean with the small cloth it came with. It was a good buy, as I have lots of the two bottles leftover. Cleans the screen well, too. Also buy a can of air to clean the keyboard. About every month power down, take the battery and keyboard out, and do a really good scrubbing.

SummerBreeze
Nov 5, 2005, 03:37 PM
Wow, I must be really cheap....I clean all my computer stuff with baby wipes.

Although, my electronics really are my babies so I guess it's okay.

EricNau
Nov 5, 2005, 04:04 PM
What's the best way to clean a BT Apple keyboard?
I've heard reports that you can put keyboards through the dishwasher, but I don't think that would be good for a BT one.
The problem with Apple's keyboards is that the sides are clear so you can see all of the dirt & junk that falls between the keys. How do I get that stuff out?

ryannel2003
Nov 5, 2005, 04:26 PM
What's the best way to clean a BT Apple keyboard?
I've heard reports that you can put keyboards through the dishwasher, but I don't think that would be good for a BT one.
The problem with Apple's keyboards is that the sides are clear so you can see all of the dirt & junk that falls between the keys. How do I get that stuff out?

At the bottom of the keyboard (On my wired one at least) there are three weird looking screws. If you take them off, you should then be able to take the top key part off. Then if you remove all the screws in the case it should let you clean the stuff off. I'm not sure, since your keyboard is BT and mine is wired.

terriyaki
Nov 5, 2005, 04:48 PM
I actually also use iKlear on the outside shell of my iBook. As for those 'stubborn marks' resulting from your case (I'll assume you mean the case you keep your 'book in), I'd suggest you get a better case. It's there to protect your 'book-- it shouldn't cause problems.
It protects it just fine.. it's just that the pattern of my foofbag is visible on the top of my iBook.. towards the sides.

*sigh*.. It's not like they're immediately noticeable.. but in certain angles you can definitely notice them and it doesn't look good. :(