PDA

View Full Version : Complete Mac Classic Collection.

RUNCIBLE 2.0
Dec 19, 2002, 01:45 PM
Fellow collectors:

I have begun collecting ancient Macintosh computers -- the earliest I presently own is the ORIGINAL Mac, "Mac 128k," released January 1984. It's in the best physical and cosmetic shape I've seen one, with a functioning system disk, external drive, original keyboard, mouse, "numeric keypad," and Image Writer (I!!!).

I also own the second on the ladder: a Mac 512k (e), with extended "Plus" keyboard and original mouse -- it, too, has an external disk drive, but an 800K one, versus the 128k's 400K.

Then, my collection skips over the Mac Plus (still negotiating on that one), to a Macinotsh S/E (not the S/E 30).

So, three antique Macs -- I need two more to complete the collection (I don't want a Mac Classic): the Mac Plus and Macintosh S/E 30.

If anyone is selling these computers, please let me know as soon as possible and we can work out a lucrative deal.

The three other computers which constitute my room's collection include a fully-functioning "040" 1988 NeXT Cube, a NeXT "Station" (the "pizza box" computer), and an Atari Portfolio palmtop created 1989 (better known as the "Easy Money" computer in Terminator 2).

pgwalsh
Dec 19, 2002, 02:20 PM
Nice going! So what's the average cost of these machines? Do you have a full collection of system disks?

rainman::|:|
Dec 19, 2002, 03:23 PM
I have a functioning Mac Plus somewhere, i think it's actually in the trunk of my car (long story) but i doubt it's in very good cosmetic shape. Very yellowed, as i remember, and the case may have been "cracked" by an IT idiot with no tools once. I'll go look for it, if it's in any kind of good shape i'll let you know--

Good luck on that project!

I had 4 imagewriters, one of the OLD style (features missing, same model number but clunkier, heavier, i dont really understand it) but i sent 'em to the landfill about a month ago-- Had to clean out my collection for the sake of space-- :(

i also had 2 copies each of the original manuals for the Apple IIGs, still shrinkwrapped, but they were tossed without my knowledge. I was (and still am) a bit pissed--

pnw

Macmaniac
Dec 19, 2002, 03:53 PM
Nice collection, good luck wit more. My so called collection includes a Mac SE, a Powerbook 150, a Performa 6300, and 2 printers.
What I really want it a newton, I just need to get my act together.

crude analogy
Dec 20, 2002, 02:40 AM
Hey guys, thanks for responding!

I'll reply sequentially:

1. (pgwalsh) -- The average cost is about $152.00. My latest purchase cost $110.00 (the Atari), the computer before that was $164.00, and before that, $371.00 -- so it varies, depending on (a) who you're buying from, (b) item's perceived condition, (c) item's scarcity and age, (d) collector demand.

I have a full suite of system disks for the Mac 512Ke, including its original manual, and, surprisingly, the original Apple Logo stickers! Still inside their plastic bag. This also came with an instructional "guide" audio cassette and various other collectable goodies.

The Mac 128k and S/E have no accompanying system disks: the S/E runs on an internal 20MB hard drive, and the 128k runs on a 400k disk (the only kind it reads) which I purchased through a specialized seller (System software version 5.3).

My NeXT Cube is running NEXTSTEP 3.3 without the Y2K patch installed (you can't set the date past 1999, but the computer still runs like a champ); my Station is running a later version (version number unknown) WITH the Y2K patch installed.

The Atari Portfolio palmtop is running a CLI OS known by its number only, which I believe is "1.35 . . ."

Let me know if you have any more questions!

2. (paulwhannel) -- terribly sorry for your loss! I understand, though: I used to own a Mac S/E 30 loaded with applications (AOL, MS Word, etc) and games (Shanghai), it even had a 28.8 modem and various other external goodies. But we trashed it in late 1997. :( To think that I would lust for that machine now, so few years later . . .

As for the Plus you mention, NOT A PROBLEM. Part of the thrill for me is Restoration. Please be sure to let me know about its existence if you find it!

3. (Macmaniac) -- You have to start somewhere! I started my collection with a Mac S/E my friend got for me at a garage sale for $2. I forgot about the Performa 6400 I also have, and its Stylus printer. You don't think about them because they're still at the point of being "not quite" obsolete, but almost. All I can say about your own Performa, Powerbook, and Printers is: don't get rid of them. You will later regret it!

Which reminds me, I know a place I could snag a Quadras and Centris . . . Right now, though, I'm focusing namely on the MACINTOSH line. Since that is, after all, Apple's mega success.

kwint
Jan 2, 2003, 09:00 PM
Glad i found this thread! You just might have saved me from thrift store remorse.

My husband and I have 2-3 pluses, an SE, a II, IIx, IIfx (with daystar upgrade but we kept the original chip), an 840, (2) 6500s, an 8500 an 8100 and a couple of powerbooks, a bunch of imagewriters and an original laserwriter among our "antiques." And God knows how many peripherals, manuals and disks. We even got a "carrying case" for the SE - I mean, a tailored padded bag with shoulderstrap that allowed you to carry it upright - some "laptop" huh? We took it on planes with us back when you could have multiple carryons.

We bought our first 512K with a "hyperdrive" in 85 and never looked back. Guess you'd call us Mac Rats, we have a hard time parting with something we spent big bucks on. Don't think we've ever sold one, just kept buying later ones, often used.

We were finally thinking about getting rid of em, but it sounds like maybe I should hold onto them a bit longer? Are old Macs going up in value or just continuing to depreciate?

Are there any recommended URLs for collectors?

thanks,

Kwint
mac loyalist

crude analogy
Jan 3, 2003, 04:35 PM
kwint -- good post!

You've built up quite a robust Macintosh collection -- bravo!

Now the question becomes, How do I eliminate clutter?

The best option is to consolidate what you have. Then economize. Decide which units are in the best condition, get together all of the mostly-unscathed manuals, books, peripherals, etc., and filter from them only the cream-of-the-crop.

Sell the excess on eBay at a reasonable price.

Voila: no more clutter.

The result will be a refined Macintosh collection reflecting decades of dedication to the Cult of Mac.

A NOTE ON DEPRECIATION:

Old Macs probably wont be as pricey as their original MSRP, but they are well-loved by Macintosh enthusiasts and because of that strongly coveted. The original Macs are a symbol of Apple's original Macintosh ideology, the same ideology which resonates in its most recent releases.

As years pass, classic Mac models will inevitably appreciate -- the three I own now cost a heft sum compared to when I was buying them a decade ago.

So, to sum up my advice, collector to collector: keep as much as you can. Only eliminate the worse-for-wear Macs.

If you have any other questions, I can be reached at citizensane@mac.com -- or use the forum.

--C.

blakespot
Jan 9, 2003, 06:51 AM
Right now I'm sitting on:

Macintosh Plus 4MB
Apple IIgs, accelerated
NeXTStation Turbo Color
Amiga 2000
iBook 700
Dual G4 800 (Quicksilver)

Info / images can be found here (http://www.blakespot.com/list).

Have an SGI O2 Workstation set to arrive today tho, to add to the collection!!

bp

Roger1
Jan 9, 2003, 07:19 AM
Here is a very good article, with some prices, on old macs, etc.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/01/06/old.computers.reut/index.html (http://)

Spock
Jan 9, 2003, 03:35 PM
I have stopped for now but my collection consists of
Mac Plus (Very Crappy case)
Mac SE/HD With all books and sofware and Case
Performa 550
Apple Lisa (All Software and Original Key And Mouse paid $40 at Garage Sale)
Performa 6400
iBook Indigo
Newton MP 100 (Still in box)
Newton MP 120

brandon6684
Jan 9, 2003, 04:44 PM
I have a plus that I'd part with (for the right price:-)). It's just the base model, one floppy drive, no hard drive, and 1 MB RAM. It has a crack on one side of the case, but it still works. The only thing missing is the mouse, and it was before ADB mice(I think it is the same kind as the 128 and 512). If your are interested please email me at bsharitt@softhome.net.

pesh
Aug 13, 2007, 02:53 PM
parting from my office after 20 years of macintosh

getting rid of following
any interests?

hyperdrive 20, (1985)
IIci(just threw out),
supermac S900,
Power computing,

keeping G4 tower, imac 24"

cant break these machines

l'homme
Aug 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
I own an iSight discontinued camera... that little eye is awesome! :)

djbrickhouse
Aug 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
I have:

Mac 512k (working)
Mac Plus (working with original system disk)
NeXT Station (working)
NeXT Station Turbo Color (no HDD).

I also have a complete boxed copy of Nextstep 3.3 with developers manuals that I am willing to part with....

awmazz
Aug 29, 2007, 11:45 PM
kwint -- good post!
As years pass, classic Mac models will inevitably appreciate -- the three I own now cost a heft sum compared to when I was buying them a decade ago.
--C.

I agree, but the issue is keeping them working. Even if kept in storage and unused, the old style capacitors on both the power supply and logic boards will eventually leak and die in time.

So do you replace the capacitors with modern non-leak ones and so sacrifice original parts in it to keep it working? Or keep it with all original parts in non-working condition? Which will hold its value more and be more of a collectors' item over time?

PS. I saw a prototype (no serial number) Mac Portable for sale recently on ebay which had all its capacitors replaced with modern ones and a new replacement battery so it was in full working pristine condition. It even had the original Apple employee docket (to enter and leave the Apple building with it). I regret not bidding on it now!