PDA

View Full Version : Airlines want travelers to leave locks off luggage

Mr. Anderson
Dec 19, 2002, 02:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/12/19/tsa.screening/index.html

Ok, now this is going to suck. What about the luggage like Sampsonite that has locks built in to the case? Are they going to bust them open?

And missing items will be handled on a case to case basis? How many people will use this to their advantage. Ugh! And I'm off to Pheonix in January....

D

dricci
Dec 19, 2002, 04:19 PM
Ok, it's time for me to rant.

What makes terrorists want to kill us? It's because we're on their land and "holy land", and they don't want us there. We're also supporting the countries they hate.

So what would be the most effective way to end the terrorists desire to kill us?

A) Take away every right we as Americans have in order to protect our "freedom" ... (find the logic here)
B) Bomb other countries that "support" terrorism and kill innocent citizens
C) Stop pissing them off by getting out of the countries they don't want us in, and maybe save the lives of innocent american soldiers and regular citizens traveling in other countries

I'll take C.

arn
Dec 19, 2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by dricci

So what would be the most effective way to end the terrorists desire to kill us?

A) Take away every right we as Americans have in order to protect our "freedom" ... (find the logic here)
C) Stop pissing them off by getting out of the countries they don't want us in, and maybe save the lives of innocent american soldiers and regular citizens traveling in other countries

sigh... now I know I don't want to start this discussion... but just to play devil's advocate...

what about next year, when a group of terrorists want Kansas? We leave Kansas?

arn

Mr. Anderson
Dec 19, 2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by arn

haha - nice :D

But I saw it more of an inconvenience and then you have to start worrying about what if something is missing, etc. They do have x-rays for all the bags, so I'm assuming that or a dog sniffing for drugs would justify openning them up.

Its just the quality and skill of the searchers that becomes a problem - I can just see it now, your suitcase comes down the conveyor belt and hits the retaining wall, bursting all your dirty underware on the floor. There will no doubt be issues with this - I just not to have any myself.

D

wdlove
Dec 19, 2002, 05:36 PM
Packing simple will just make the trip through the airport security less stressful & quick.

szark
Dec 19, 2002, 08:22 PM
...this is already happening.

When I flew out of Phoenix to Newark (on America West) back in June, they forced the lock open to look inside (and left me a nice little note). Needless to say, I was pissed.

They must have thought my camera tripod was a bomb... :rolleyes:

whfsdude
Dec 19, 2002, 08:33 PM
err... Well we wouldn't want what happened happened in Fight Club now would we?

It was NO ELECTRIC RAZOR!!

StealthRider
Dec 19, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by szark
...this is already happening.

When I flew out of Phoenix to Newark (on America West) back in June, they forced the lock open to look inside (and left me a nice little note). Needless to say, I was pissed.

They must have thought my camera tripod was a bomb... :rolleyes:

what did the note say? oh, and did they say they had a reason? because they're supposed to have a warrant to break in to your property, and if they didn't show it to you...they're gonna be screwed...if anyone thinks i'm overreacting tell me and i'll stop. thanks

MisterBlack
Dec 20, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by arn

We are bombing their equivalent of kansas right now.

OutThere
Dec 20, 2002, 06:58 PM
Well I guess that this means that if you have anything that you don't particularily want some random people in the airport staff to see then you had better carry it on. With them opening your luggage you can't put anything small in your suitcases, they might lose it, and you cant really put anything valuable in it, that just wouldn't be smart.:mad: :mad: :mad: This will be bad.:mad:

szark
Dec 20, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by StealthRider

what did the note say? oh, and did they say they had a reason? because they're supposed to have a warrant to break in to your property, and if they didn't show it to you...they're gonna be screwed...if anyone thinks i'm overreacting tell me and i'll stop. thanks

Your bag has been searched due to heightened security measures implemented by the Federal Aviation Administration. During the search, your bag was under constant surveillance. If the lock was removed, a replacement has been enclosed and the bag has been resealed. If you have any further questions, please contact us via www.americawest.com or call the Corporate Baggage Resolution Office at 480-693-6738. PLease accept our apology for any inconvenience.

They forced the lock open, but managed to force the lock closed again once they had completed their search.

springscansing
Dec 20, 2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by dricci
Ok, it's time for me to rant.

What makes terrorists want to kill us? It's because we're on their land and "holy land", and they don't want us there. We're also supporting the countries they hate.

I'll take C.

If there's one thing Hitler tought us, its that appeasment always works!

You freakin moron.

springscansing
Dec 20, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by MisterBlack

We are bombing their equivalent of kansas right now.

Actually.. we aren't bombing anything right now.